Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Any kiters from Eugene?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
tacohitman

Since 18 Jul 2014
16 Posts
Eugene, OR

PostThu Apr 07, 16 9:36 pm    Any kiters from Eugene? Reply with quote

Just putting this out there, trying to see if there's any kiters from Eugene, OR that could tell me about kiting around here. Also just want to see who kites in Eugene, so if you see this post a comment. Thanks!
Last edited by tacohitman on Fri Apr 08, 16 9:28 am; edited 1 time in total

blancoh2o

Since 15 Mar 2005
1153 Posts
Oregon
Phishy

PostFri Apr 08, 16 7:25 am     Reply with quote

I used to live there and have friends who are kiters who still live there. They kite the coast most of the time. You can also kite out on the Fern Ridge Resovoir on a very rare occasion. If you learn to foil, I bet Fern Ridge would work a good amount of days.

https://kb4c.rallyup.com/kb4c/286ef9/Member

tacohitman

Since 18 Jul 2014
16 Posts
Eugene, OR

PostFri Apr 08, 16 9:22 am     Reply with quote

Sweet! I always thought of using the fern ridge red, but I didn't know if it got windy enough to kite. I basically only use a foil now so that sounds perfect! Happen to know how deep it is there?

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2053 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostFri Apr 08, 16 10:47 am    Dexter Reservoir Reply with quote

I've seen white caps off Hwy 58 on Dexter in the afternoons/evenings. And I remember reading a post about someone kiting and or sailing up there.

blowhard

Since 26 Dec 2005
2023 Posts

Windward

PostFri Apr 08, 16 11:46 am     Reply with quote

just above Dexter ,Lookout Point reservoir,
Fern Ridge (ditch) is 35' by the damn

tacohitman

Since 18 Jul 2014
16 Posts
Eugene, OR

PostFri Apr 08, 16 12:47 pm     Reply with quote

Sweet, thanks for the low down. I don't really need much wind, I'm a somewhat proficient foiler with big kites. I'm mainly lookin for safe places to foil. Anyone know depths for dexter, fern ridge, or any other good flat water spots near Eugene?

blancoh2o

Since 15 Mar 2005
1153 Posts
Oregon
Phishy

PostFri Apr 08, 16 2:41 pm     Reply with quote

Fern Ridge should be deep enough for a foil with a standard mast. Just ride where the sailboats sail. Most of them have keels that are longer than our masts are.
Dexter and Lookout Resvoirs will most likely be gusty due to mountain air current influence. If you are foiling, I'd stick to the ditch.
Let me know how it goes. I am a newer foiler and want to find more places to ride.

tacohitman

Since 18 Jul 2014
16 Posts
Eugene, OR

PostFri Apr 08, 16 4:38 pm     Reply with quote

Deinately, I live here for school, but my gear is in Maui not going to get it till may. Is spring still do able with like a 13m? I have an aguera foil so its a little taller than the free ride foils, like a liquid force.

blancoh2o

Since 15 Mar 2005
1153 Posts
Oregon
Phishy

PostFri Apr 08, 16 9:17 pm     Reply with quote

You should be good to go once your gear gets here. We ride our 9m kites with foils most of the time on the river. Even when the current is going the same direction as the wind.
I am coming to Eugene next month for work. I'll bring my kites and foil and try for a quick session.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: