Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Hawaiian vs Alaska vs American on PDX-OGG route

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
voy-tech

Since 08 Apr 2014
372 Posts
Seattle
Obsessed

CGKA Member

PostWed Mar 30, 16 10:50 am    Hawaiian vs Alaska vs American on PDX-OGG route Reply with quote

Hi, I'm thinking about flying to Maui for Thanksgiving and wonder which airline has the easiest policy regarding kites. Last time I flew to Maui i used Delta, traveled with 2 kites and a TT and the rest of the gear in my travel quiver and while PDX didn't charge me anything, I did end up paying $250 on my way back. Does Hawaiian, Alaska or American also charge for sporting gear (I always make sure that I'm within the weight/size limits)?

Justsmile

Since 20 Jul 2009
1523 Posts
Not Portland
XTreme Poster

PostWed Mar 30, 16 11:39 am     Reply with quote

Alaska. Keep it uner 50lbs and it's only 25 bucks for an extra bag. Just came back a month ago and not even a concern:-). I carry a putter and a golf ball with my kiting gear. Up to me what kind of golf I play:-). I have not had an issue with alaska in about 10 trips to either Hawaii or Mexico!!

voy-tech

Since 08 Apr 2014
372 Posts
Seattle
Obsessed

CGKA Member

PostWed Mar 30, 16 11:55 am     Reply with quote

Dog Patrol wrote:
Alaska. Keep it uner 50lbs and it's only 25 bucks for an extra bag. Just came back a month ago and not even a concern:-). I carry a putter and a golf ball with my kiting gear. Up to me what kind of golf I play:-). I have not had an issue with alaska in about 10 trips to either Hawaii or Mexico!!

Thanks - I usually just have one quiver and a hand luggage for two people travelling so I always get mad when I get charged since my quiver definitely takes less space than two normal bags that two people would normally check-in.

Freeride Kiter

Since 08 Jul 2011
698 Posts
Alaska / PNW / Baja
Instructor

PostWed Mar 30, 16 1:07 pm     Reply with quote

Alaska also has a sporting good clause that has been extended to me several times when flying with my goalie gear from Anchorage to Vegas for hockey tournaments. It basically says they can waive the over size - over weight charges for sporting equipment.

It has been my experience though not all agents are familiar with it, so I'd not count on it.

www.freeridekiting.com

skideeppow

Since 26 Aug 2011
518 Posts

Addicted

PostWed Mar 30, 16 1:28 pm     Reply with quote

i find if you curbside check and tip out the porter, they will not charge you for overweight or oversize bags.
I had some leftover weed from a trip to OGG and tried to give it to the porter, a young guy, he got super paranoid and was like WTF are you doing. Don't have me that shit. He thought i was setting him up or something.
I drove off to return the rental car and i looked back and he was digging in the trash to get the bag i tossed out.
I thought that was pretty funny.

Wind Slither

Since 04 Mar 2005
2573 Posts
The 503
METAL

PostWed Mar 30, 16 1:48 pm     Reply with quote

skideeppow wrote:
i looked back and he was digging in the trash to get the bag i tossed out.

Laughing

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1471 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostThu Mar 31, 16 7:35 am     Reply with quote

Alaska! great policies for luggage, direct flight, they treat their employees well.
It's pretty cheap to upgrade to a better seat with more leg room - well worth it, imo.

markamcclure

Since 20 May 2011
165 Posts
Portland, OR
Stoked

PostThu Mar 31, 16 10:21 am     Reply with quote

I have had no trouble using the curbside check-in. I ask the agent if they accept tips at the start of the process. Of course, they reply yes. Then they check-in the bag and I give them a $5 (or higher) tip. No charge.

knotwindy

Since 25 Sep 2011
598 Posts

Addicted

PostThu Mar 31, 16 3:50 pm     Reply with quote

wow, 5 whole dollars
to save you how much?

Justsmile

Since 20 Jul 2009
1523 Posts
Not Portland
XTreme Poster

PostThu Mar 31, 16 6:32 pm     Reply with quote

knotwindy wrote:
wow, 5 whole dollars
to save you how much?

This saves you about 95 bucks when they realize you have surf stuff that is not free to fly with and they charge you for that instead of an extra bag. So yes it saves you a ton!!

skideeppow

Since 26 Aug 2011
518 Posts

Addicted

PostSat Apr 02, 16 5:24 pm     Reply with quote

Dog Patrol wrote:
knotwindy wrote:
wow, 5 whole dollars
to save you how much?

This saves you about 95 bucks when they realize you have surf stuff that is not free to fly with and they charge you for that instead of an extra bag. So yes it saves you a ton!!

I think he is heckling you. I would tip these guys 20 per heavy bag. They'll laugh at a 5 tip

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: