Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Tomo Surfboards
Page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
blowhard

Since 26 Dec 2005
2025 Posts

Windward

PostSun Mar 20, 16 10:01 am    Tomo Surfboards Reply with quote

What do you think about Tomo Boards.
I'm thinking a 5'3" Vader Kitesurfboard.
I ride hard on my front foot, I do worry about some pearling with the truncated nose, and it make a lot of sense to stand further back ,it says from small waves to triple OH
http://www.murrays.com/mm5/graphics/00000001/Vader-Surfboard_116x144.jpg

thx

airon^

Since 07 Aug 2013
289 Posts
Durango
Obsessed

PostSun Mar 20, 16 4:56 pm    2 cents Reply with quote

I have a 5'2" (175 intermediate kiter) Vanguard and I love it. Never have an issue w pearling, mostly feels very small and almost too nimble at times. Rode it recently for 3 days of bliss at Ho'okipa Maui (well Lanes really). Have ridden it in Gorge swell (at Rufus I was progressing big time, strapless airs), and South Padre Island.

I have a T-Rex (same or 5'4") from Slingshot (got a huge deal on it) that I use strapless also but it seems a bit slower and heavier and not as shock absorbing. So I definitely prefer my Tomo.

Two thumbs up. But my opinion is just that.

knotwindy

Since 25 Sep 2011
598 Posts

Addicted

PostSun Mar 20, 16 6:15 pm     Reply with quote

well, i have ridden the Vanguard a lot and the Vader some. The Vanguard is a 5'2" and the Vader was either a 4'10" or 4'11", can't remember exactly which. i am 165-170#s and the Vanguard is almost too big and the Vader was perfect. I tried the Vader one size up(maybe 5'1") and it turned really fast but actually felt too floaty/bobby to me. hard to believe i know.
As far as pearling either, never happens to me. You can always stuff the nose, especially in chop, but the only time that happens is if you are too far forward going upwind. Got to be more forward upwind, of course, but back foot on the wave on the Vader almost makes it too fast, so a little front foot pressure will not be a big deal, seems best to me to be really even footed on the wave on the Vader. The boards are so small that you really do not move your feet much, just shift weight and it goes. really fun boards.
Of course demo if you can (Big Winds, i think) and YMMV.

skideeppow

Since 26 Aug 2011
518 Posts

Addicted

PostMon Mar 21, 16 9:04 am     Reply with quote

I ride a Vader, 5 2 that i got from TJ at BIg Winds. 215 511 ok rider. Used it for the first time in Maui and loved it.
So quick and fast down the line.
I was sure it was gong to be too small, but they steared me right.

No chance of pearling at all.

Gman

Since 11 Feb 2006
4907 Posts
Portland
Unstrapped

PostWed Mar 23, 16 8:22 am     Reply with quote

Wonder if the V4 is a better choice - seems like a board with a nose might be better suited for jamming thru some of those tricky close outs

Vader does look super fun if you are trying those air spinny tricks

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eu2pBpQolKE

SoCam

Since 27 Jul 2011
29 Posts
Ventura CA

PostWed Mar 23, 16 9:10 am    Slater Designs Reply with quote

I'm more interested in the Tomo designs that use slightly more traditional lines and profiles. Check out the Tomo designed SlaterDesigns Sci-Phi, which Stu Kennedy used at the opening round of the world surf league to knock out Slater (ironically), Medina and Florence.

https://surfeuropemag.com/features/news/kelly-unveils-first-slater-designs-surfboards.html

For reference, I ride strapless, mostly weak point breaks. I've owned a Vanguard, which I didn't love (too much input required and too little flex), and ridden a Vadar (much improved). Horses for courses though. Firewire kite construction will never have the flex or feel of a surfboard, but when you see the Tomo concepts becoming mainstream on the CT, you know he's onto something.

Kmun

Since 05 Jul 2009
250 Posts

Obsessed

PostWed Mar 23, 16 12:17 pm     Reply with quote

-
Last edited by Kmun on Fri Mar 25, 16 3:50 pm; edited 1 time in total

blowhard

Since 26 Dec 2005
2025 Posts

Windward

PostFri Mar 25, 16 7:15 am     Reply with quote

Thanks for the input.
I'm just looking for a smaller board around 5'

Da Yoda

Since 12 Mar 2009
79 Posts

PostSat Mar 26, 16 3:13 pm     Reply with quote

blowhard wrote:
What do you think about Tomo Boards.
I'm thinking a 5'3" Vader Kitesurfboard.
I ride hard on my front foot, I do worry about some pearling with the truncated nose, and it make a lot of sense to stand further back ,it says from small waves to triple OH
thx

blowhard wrote:
I'm just looking for a smaller board around 5'

For these type of boards, you really need to let go of the traditional way of sizing surfboards. This article can help you get into the right mindset for these modern shaped boards:
http://surfsimply.com/surf-coaching/volume-weight-ratios/
Here's Firewire's volume calculator:
http://www.firewiresurfboards.com/volume-calculator-board-selector/
Downsize 2-4liters for kitesurfing.

I've had two+ years on the Vanguard 5'0 and have ridden the Vader 5'1 for an extended period (a bit big for me, but more stable). One thing to note is that even if you ride with a heavy front foot, these boards WILL force you to put more weight rearward as you get used to them. The performance drops off a lot when you try to ride them more forward or heavy front footed.

These boards do have a scalloped/contoured area under the nose that's supposed to create lift to prevent purling. From my experience, it works! However, if you're really concerned about purling the nose, then just simply go up one size for more volume. The board will have more stability and better low-end performance too.

Another thing is triple overhead may be a tad exaggerated imo. Double for sure! Enjoy!

blowhard

Since 26 Dec 2005
2025 Posts

Windward

PostSun Mar 27, 16 7:29 am     Reply with quote

"The performance drops off a lot when you try to ride them more forward or heavy front footed."
I feel the same on my board also, I move back because I want too, but I still feel I ride hard on my front leg.
So maybe it might be best for me, trying a different style !

I'm in for the for the Tomo from Cleanline!

Thanks
Cool

blowhard

Since 26 Dec 2005
2025 Posts

Windward

PostWed Mar 30, 16 7:20 am     Reply with quote

Big Air has one for demo, I'm up there instead

blowhard

Since 26 Dec 2005
2025 Posts

Windward

PostThu Jul 07, 16 10:22 am     Reply with quote

I purchased the 4'10" Vader and now I'm a better kiter!(instead of three turns now I get five)

3 of my pals bought them too after riding mine.
JR bought the one the Felix Pivex was riding a 5'2" , I felt it was about the same as my 5'8" Doc Lausch (lighter wind board)

TJ (big Winds)claims best selling board in his shop, no doubt about about that,

Big rails go easy side to side and upwind like mad, it really feels like a twintip ,
very light , feet equal pressure upwind , I feel like if I looked there , that's where I'm going.
The best kiter surfboard ever (for now)
IMO
Cool
NICE JOB TOMO Very Happy

Da Yoda

Since 12 Mar 2009
79 Posts

PostThu Jul 07, 16 1:37 pm     Reply with quote

Quote:
JR bought the one the Felix Pivex was riding a 5'2"

This is the second time I've seen someone post about a 5'2 Vader:
http://www.kiteforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2379943&start=470
Where are people finding the Vader in this size when it's only available in odd sizing?
Felix rides the 5'1 Vader and the 5'2 Vanguard. Are you talking about the 5'2 Vanguard or a Vader (LFT construction) which IS available in a 5'2?
Inquiring minds would like to know!

blowhard

Since 26 Dec 2005
2025 Posts

Windward

PostFri Jul 08, 16 7:05 am     Reply with quote

beats me , It was bigger board than mine, I can find out when he returns from Seattle

unbob

Since 31 Aug 2008
260 Posts
'da Gorge/LaV
Obsessed

PostFri Jul 08, 16 7:00 pm     Reply with quote

Da Yoda wrote:
For these type of boards, you really need to let go of the traditional way of sizing surfboards. This article can help you get into the right mindset for these modern shaped boards:
http://surfsimply.com/surf-coaching/volume-weight-ratios/
Here's Firewire's volume calculator:
http://www.firewiresurfboards.com/volume-calculator-board-selector/
Downsize 2-4liters for kitesurfing.
I disagree. Looking at the 'Shortboard Volume Recommendations' on the surfsimply.com site I see that 35L is the recommended volume for my weight - 175lbs. However, I ride a 5'6" SS Celeritas with 23.75L volume (kitesurfing, of course) and it's absolutely perfect!

The Firewire calculator is even more off the mark - it recommends a 5'11" 39.5L Vader for my weight - when in reality I would probably ride the 5'1" 22.9L.

Obviously, substantially more volume is needed when surfing since surfers need flotation while paddling out - not so for kitesurfers.

So, I say when using the volume calculators - downsize about 10L or more (shortboard) for kitesurfing.

scottnorby

Since 23 Sep 2005
538 Posts
Cascadia - Seattle - Encinitas
Addicted

PostFri Jul 08, 16 8:07 pm     Reply with quote

I agree.
Volume down.
Length down.
Unless you may surf the board---paddle in.
I ride a 5'6 that is 2 3/4 thick and 20 wide.
It paddles into waves and surfs solid
Also wakesurfs well
Just a thought if you are an all around water guy--and ride cross terrain--the extra volume is useful and the charts would be correct.
And the experience you get kitesurfing the board totally translates when you surf or wake surf it too. You basically already have it wired from kiting it for hours.

Cush skinned boards
Soft shell outside - eps and basalt cloth inside
Memory foam rails

blowhard

Since 26 Dec 2005
2025 Posts

Windward

PostSat Jul 09, 16 6:46 am     Reply with quote

I demo the larger boards (Vader)
And felt they were way too big , for high wind

The 4' 10" Vader could go down maybe 4' 5" for kiting I think
but for surf a lot bigger

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: