Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Ride Engine Durability
Page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
lineman

Since 05 Feb 2009
170 Posts

Stoked

PostWed Feb 10, 16 5:38 pm    Ride Engine Durability Reply with quote

After 5 sessions my cummerbund on left side has a hole, plus it's unraveling.
Spreader bar is also coming apart.
Anyone else having this issue or am I the lucky one??

blancoh2o

Since 15 Mar 2005
1153 Posts
Oregon
Phishy

PostWed Feb 10, 16 8:01 pm     Reply with quote

I just got home from a kite trip. I rode 7 days straight with up to 4 sessions a day with no wear on my HexCore RE.

https://kb4c.rallyup.com/kb4c/286ef9/Member

Since 22 May 2008
145 Posts
Hood River
Stoked

CGKA Member

PostThu Feb 11, 16 9:18 am     Reply with quote

I work for Ride Engine: Feel free to contact customer service about any of these issues. The harnesses have been extremely well received and we have had few warranty or quality issues. That said, we're aware that as a brand new product we're bound to have some kinks to work out, so our customer service department has been quick to make our customers happy if they have any issues.

http://www.rideengine.com/Warranty_Form.html
or
RIDER HOTLINE:
info@rideengine.com
USA 1.877.775.4832
INTL1.509.427.4950

SalmonSlayer

Since 27 Nov 2005
648 Posts

Addicted

CGKA Member

PostThu Feb 11, 16 10:06 am    Re: Ride Engine Durability Reply with quote

lineman wrote:
After 5 sessions my cummerbund on left side has a hole, plus it's unraveling.
Spreader bar is also coming apart.
Anyone else having this issue or am I the lucky one??

Did you like the harness otherwise? Was it a noticeable improvement?

lineman

Since 05 Feb 2009
170 Posts

Stoked

PostThu Feb 11, 16 4:21 pm     Reply with quote

Salmon, yes I love it, the rope slider is awesome for waves, total freedom for slashing.
I do not feel worn out after riding all day, super comfy.

97031, thanks for the info, I sent some pics to Real but have not heard back. I'll try rider hotline tomorrow.

Justsmile

Since 20 Jul 2009
1523 Posts
Not Portland
XTreme Poster

PostThu Feb 11, 16 5:18 pm     Reply with quote

lineman wrote:
Salmon, yes I love it, the rope slider is awesome for waves, total freedom for slashing.
I do not feel worn out after riding all day, super comfy.

97031, thanks for the info, I sent some pics to Real but have not heard back. I'll try rider hotline tomorrow.

Are you local. Just call the hotline and save the shipping BS and go to the horses mouth in N Bonneville for a new one.

lineman

Since 05 Feb 2009
170 Posts

Stoked

PostThu Feb 11, 16 6:06 pm     Reply with quote

Not local Crying or Very sad Embarassed

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1470 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostMon Feb 15, 16 7:51 am     Reply with quote

I have 30 days on my RE harness - it looks brand new.
No loose threads or any issues I can see.
It's slowly broken in and conformed to my body - it feels more comfortable every time I use it.

Derp

Since 02 Sep 2009
11 Posts

PostMon Feb 15, 16 10:28 am     Reply with quote

I love my RE harness and I have no doubt hardshell harnesses and sliding hooks are the future of kite - surfing. That said, they have room for improvement. I had mine slip and nearly come completely apart then when trying to tighten things back up I had the fiberglass break right at the buckle attachment - probably my own fault, but this could be designed better.

This harness is really comfortable and I'm tempted to buy another replacement but I'm concerned with durability. Dakine has a new C1 harness that looks to be a RE copy. I wonder if there is a licensing agreement on the technology - I hope so.

mmac

Since 15 May 2005
93 Posts
SC

PostThu Feb 18, 16 8:14 pm     Reply with quote

I have one of the original custom Engine harnesses which I love. It has served me well. However, after years of heavy use, it is starting to show it's age. I'd like to replace it with another but I'm a bit skeptical of the new production design with one strap & buckle on each side. The new DaKine C1 looks like it may be a more refined/better design (?) Anyone try both for comparison?

mmac

Since 15 May 2005
93 Posts
SC

PostThu Feb 18, 16 8:21 pm     Reply with quote

double post
Last edited by mmac on Tue Feb 23, 16 5:45 pm; edited 1 time in total

SalmonSlayer

Since 27 Nov 2005
648 Posts

Addicted

CGKA Member

PostFri Feb 19, 16 12:50 am     Reply with quote

mmac wrote:
I have one of the original custom Engine harnesses which I love. It has served me well. However, after years of heavy use, it is starting to show it's age. I'd like to replace it with another but I'm a bit skeptical of the new production design with one strap & buckle on each side. The new DaKine C1 looks like it may be a more refined/better design. Anyone try both for comparison?

If you can wait for the next version, I bet that feature will be improved.

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1470 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostFri Feb 19, 16 10:20 am     Reply with quote

mmac wrote:
I'm a bit skeptical of the new production design with one strap & buckle on each side.

What are you skeptical about?

It doesn't slip - it stays tight. Unlike every other harness I've used - they all loosened up after 10 minutes of kiting.
The webbing strap is protected by plastic tubing that shows zero wear so far.

Oh - and it takes like 5 seconds to put it on and snug it up. Same for removal.

Shef

Since 22 Oct 2014
62 Posts

PostTue Apr 26, 16 2:09 pm     Reply with quote

To start with, I love the harness. I've had back pain on and off since I was about 20, so having a great fitting harness is really important for me. The Engine was easily the best fit of any of the ones I had tried on, on the water it doesn't ride up at all and it's the slimmest profile as well. Love it!

I am a bit surprised though that there doesn't really seem to be anybody else mentioning the problem that I had, and that my buddy also had on his. The fiberglass back plate is only overlapped with about 1/4" of material, so with the pressure being put on the harness (I'm assuming that's what it's from), the back plate separated from the material at the bottom. I noticed it after about 20 sessions. It started to get worse so I did a repair job with some Aquaseal which seems to be holding well after 2 sessions. Hoping the problem will be addressed with the Gen.2, but just surprised nobody else has reported this happening to theirs, when the only other person I know that has one had the same problem as me. Ride did warranty theirs. Mine was bought off ikitesurf so they offered a good discount on a new one, but I decided to repair myself instead, in case same thing happens to the new one.

I do love the harness, wouldn't change my decision to buy another, but thought I should mention it since nobody has and those in the market for a harness might wanna know the pros and possible cons.

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1470 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostWed Apr 27, 16 7:00 am     Reply with quote

Shef - http://nwkite.com/forums/t-38440.html&highlight=

Shef

Since 22 Oct 2014
62 Posts

PostWed Apr 27, 16 8:57 am     Reply with quote

ldhr wrote:
Shef - http://nwkite.com/forums/t-38440.html&highlight=

Yeah, I knew about that thread, but nobody made mention to the problem that Mine or my Bud's harness had. Thought it fit better under this thread than "Ian bashes..." I figure worst case scenario I'll upgrade when the new one comes out if my repair doesn't hold, assuming those changes are made to the harness.

stringy

Since 23 Jun 2006
1724 Posts
vancouver
XTreme Poster

PostWed Apr 27, 16 8:31 pm     Reply with quote

Do you have a picture of your harness and the area in question so I can get an idea of what you're dealing with?
I'm a custom engine user and I've been pretty happy with how it's been working for me

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: