Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Be safe out there
Page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Jonpnw

Since 22 Jul 2010
1323 Posts
Pacific Northwest
XTreme Poster

PostThu Jan 21, 16 2:40 pm    Be safe out there Reply with quote

Hope everyone is safe.

Foil Army ?

Capture.JPG 

Join the Columbia Gorge Water Sports Association. http://gorgewindsurfing.org/

Kraemer

Since 24 Apr 2006
1735 Posts
Sky Pilot
Unicorn Captain

PostThu Jan 21, 16 2:54 pm     Reply with quote

I just heard they were waving their arms frantically for help-- this will probably be on the news

Jonpnw

Since 22 Jul 2010
1323 Posts
Pacific Northwest
XTreme Poster

PostThu Jan 21, 16 3:22 pm    Happy Ending Reply with quote

Fatigued ,

Boat Rescue ,

Story Coming .

SAFE.JPG 

Kraemer

Since 24 Apr 2006
1735 Posts
Sky Pilot
Unicorn Captain

PostThu Jan 21, 16 3:46 pm     Reply with quote

Looks like it was a rescue-- however rescue wasn't needed or requested.

Jonpnw

Since 22 Jul 2010
1323 Posts
Pacific Northwest
XTreme Poster

PostThu Jan 21, 16 4:11 pm    News Worthy Reply with quote

Sounds like an interview is needed Very Happy

Gman

Since 11 Feb 2006
4907 Posts
Portland
Unstrapped

PostThu Jan 21, 16 4:39 pm     Reply with quote

No man left behind!!!

Probably needed a red bull or something

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eu2pBpQolKE

kss

Since 24 Apr 2006
613 Posts
pdx
Addicted

PostThu Jan 21, 16 5:27 pm     Reply with quote

Or a coconut water! Wink

stringy

Since 23 Jun 2006
1724 Posts
vancouver
XTreme Poster

PostThu Jan 21, 16 5:33 pm     Reply with quote

ok here's todays events. there were six of us that hit the airport today (see I said the foil army is growing) all on foils. 8m-12m kites, 4 out of six on my foils. great to watch tak pushing his trick arsenal on a foil with his high speed ollie jumps and explosions on landing, todd starting to get the hang of the stringy wings, Gman keeping his ten year monthly streak alive, we were all having a great time. wind was pretty good and it felt pretty warm at 52 degrees. after a good hour or so, I contemplated coming in but was having too much fun. on one outward reach toward washington side of the river, I suckered G man over to no man's land. we find the wind can be extremely light over in front of wintler. I'm on my 9m strutless which doesn't take but a fly fart to keep it in the air, and gman on his 8m rpm. he followed me and didn't have the same success getting out of the hole. his kite dropped I went back to oregon side of river. I watch tak try to help him out with no luck. I decide since I suckered him over there, I should at least try and help him relaunch his kite. my actions failed and in the process I dropped my kite. we both floated for probably 15-30 minutes, gman foating over to the marina just west of wintler. he got on the dock no problem. At that point I called it and started rolling up my lines. about halfway done rolling my lines, I see flashing lights just over my shoulder and it was the harbor patrol coming to see if we needed assistance. I took them up on their offer for a ride back. they helped me on board and I told them gman needs a ride too. the rescue team was real professional and friendly. I asked if they had a 911 phone call and they said no they were watching us out their window and when the kites went down they went into action. there was another rescue boat right behind them so it's possible they were responding to a 911 call. I could see the fire truck and ambulance from over by the boat launch on oregon side of the river. dam good response team showed up. we told them we were fine and just had an issue with the lighter winds on the washington side of the river. We were actually never in distress as we all were wearing drysuits and all the necessary layers and coverings. I was told by kraemer that there was a 911 call dispatching the response teams. they said one kiter was waving his arms so they figured he was in distress. I fly strutless kites and in lighter winds if they do hit the water the canopy can be challenging to fill with wind especially if there isn't much wind. what I tend to do when this happens is sit on my foil board and paddle with my hands to go backwards this helps filling the kite with air by tensioning the lines. I suppose this might look like waving, not sure....
anyhow Gman says its my fault for suckering him over to washington no wind zone. I say its his fault for having me go over to help him out
all worked out got a sweet ride on the fireboat, nice balmy temps to walk of shame back to our cars. crazy how different the wind can be on one side of the river

Windian

Since 28 Apr 2008
881 Posts
Newport, OR
NEWPORT OG

PostThu Jan 21, 16 5:39 pm     Reply with quote

I have had similar experiences at the coast when a tourist will call 911 when they see a kiteboarder out in the water with a downed kite. Fire Dept and Police will show up and are all super disappointed when you inform them that all is well and fine. They dearly want to haul you to the hospital to treat a rescued victim for hypothermia as it looks great when reported in the local newspaper.

Crying or Very sad

Gman

Since 11 Feb 2006
4907 Posts
Portland
Unstrapped

PostThu Jan 21, 16 6:01 pm     Reply with quote

15 minutes of trying to re-launch and then time to throw in the towel, wrap the shit up and swim to the closest shore

once actively swimming not bad - but floating around with 7mil boots, 3mil gloves drysuit and one layer of medium fleece pretty chilly after 15 and 20 min

Nice to have the crew checking on you (joining your fate less cool)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eu2pBpQolKE

Dern

Since 11 Jul 2010
544 Posts
Vancouver, WA
Addicted

PostThu Jan 21, 16 6:13 pm     Reply with quote

Good to know everyone made it back in safe and sound.

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2057 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostThu Jan 21, 16 6:30 pm    A couple dozen Voodoo Donuts Reply with quote

stringy wrote:
I see flashing lights just over my shoulder and it was the harbor patrol coming to see if we needed assistance. I took them up on their offer for a ride back. they helped me on board and I told them gman needs a ride too. the rescue team was real professional and friendly.

going rate for finding someone's board or kite and or helping them out of a bad situation is a big thank you and a case of beer.

Portland Police and firemen can't take that kind of stuff, SO a big thank you and a couple dozen Voodoo donuts is the going rate! Called in or not Wink

Glad everyone survived.

TAK

Since 04 Aug 2009
94 Posts

PostThu Jan 21, 16 7:17 pm     Reply with quote

I've never been picked up by a fire boat haha

Mark

Since 20 Jun 2005
3677 Posts
I need my fix because I'm a
Naishaholic

PostFri Jan 22, 16 10:26 am     Reply with quote

Wink

red shirt1.jpg 

www.naishkites.com

fisherman

Since 06 Aug 2007
113 Posts

Stoked

PostSat Jan 23, 16 5:14 pm     Reply with quote

It seems my tax money saved your asses. You should be financially responsible for this childish decision to go kite boarding on the mighty Columbia in the middle of January. What a crazy and irresponsible bunch of grown up men. I don't even go fishing these days.

ericvs

Since 05 Jul 2008
133 Posts

Stoked

PostSat Jan 23, 16 6:53 pm     Reply with quote

fisherman wrote:
It seems my tax money saved your asses. You should be financially responsible for this childish decision to go kite boarding on the mighty Columbia in the middle of January. What a crazy and irresponsible bunch of grown up men. I don't even go fishing these days.

lol, wut?

Freeride Kiter

Since 08 Jul 2011
698 Posts
Alaska / PNW / Baja
Instructor

PostSat Jan 23, 16 8:21 pm    Really?? Reply with quote

It seems you aren't happy and need a hug.

fisherman wrote:

It is what it is. Being positive will make the world better. Sometimes your friends can't help and sometimes they can.

Link

ahhhhh nothing like your home kiting group of friends to save the day.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: