Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Crossbow

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  

PostThu Jul 07, 05 10:12 pm    Crossbow Reply with quote

Anyone try it out Thursday? I missed it. I did see someone getting very huge, lofty jumps out east on Wednesday.

4Stringer/KipWinger

Since 27 Apr 2005
541 Posts
Hood River
Addicted

PostFri Jul 08, 05 6:40 am    Crossbow: round two Reply with quote

I have given some additional thought to my prior post after considering the fact that I consider Ken Lucas, the local Cabrinha rep, a friend, a big asset to our local kiteboarding community, along with being the kind of person you want to talk-to if you ever have a question, problem, or input about the product or anything else kiteboarding, skiing, traveling, or virtually any other topic. More specifically, Ken went way out of his way to allow me to demo the Crossbow. He stayed at the sandbar late in order for me to try it and didn't tea-off on me for crashing the kite and then flipping it inside-out (instead he wanted to know exactly what happened so that it could be addressed if it turned-out that it might be a problem.) In short, the guy is a class act.
I returned his generosity, not by talking to him directly about what my impressions were, but by posting on a public forum that I was not thoroughly sold. although it had a lot of very, very cool features. First, plain-and-simple, that's inexcusable; if someone did that to me, I would not give them the-time-of-day the next time that I saw them. Ken did not handle it this way.
Secondly, and perhaps more importantly, if you value the way an equipment rep stands-by their product, you'll be interested in the product Ken represents.
I would like to apologize to Ken.

Jim[/i]

Last edited by 4Stringer/KipWinger on Wed Jul 13, 05 8:53 am; edited 2 times in total

bambam

Since 15 Mar 2005
760 Posts
Hood River
Photographer

PostFri Jul 08, 05 6:59 am     Reply with quote

Just the visuals... Thanks, Jon

cross1.jpg 
   cross2.jpg 

utahboy

Since 10 Jul 2005
16 Posts
Salt Lake City

PostSun Jul 10, 05 8:55 pm    Crossbow Reply with quote

I also demoed the new Cabrinha (9M) at the sand bar. I had just come off the water on my 9M Slingshot. As an intermediate kiter I found it unusually user friendly. The range of power seemed to be more than my Slingshot, and I liked the ability to release all power by shoving the bar all the way forward. The contol system at the bar end and the kite leading edge are so new and different, I am not sure whether it is an advancement or a more complicated system that has more failure potential. I was impressed, though, at its performance, and I wanted to keep kiting on it. Since I am not hucking huge jumps or doing tricks (yet), I am not sure of its high-end capabilities. I would like to hear more discussion on the safety features and whether they are all the rep claims.

Regarding flipping the kite discussed below, I asked the rep about that very scenario. He said that flipping the kite is like flipping any other kite: the kite will fly fine but will have lines rubbing and is not a fatal flaw. That remains to be seen.

Also the price ($1500 for the 13M) seems quite high. If, though, you only needed a 9 amd 13, it may be cost competitive with a larger kite quiver.

4Stringer/KipWinger

Since 27 Apr 2005
541 Posts
Hood River
Addicted

PostWed Jul 13, 05 8:49 am    see post above Reply with quote

Please see post above

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: