Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Light wind twin-tips
Page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
westportcap

Since 08 Jan 2012
54 Posts

PostMon Nov 09, 15 9:55 am    Light wind twin-tips Reply with quote

I thought I might get one more big day at RR before pulling the gear out of my car, but it's Nov 9th and I'm losing hope. Naturally, my mind now drifts towards winter kiting somewhere else. And this makes me realize I want a better light wind solution in my deceiver bag. Actually, "obsess" is closer to the truth than "realize".

I have a 136cm X-Ride, a 150cm Mako, and a surfboard. I ride each of them here in the gorge, but . . . . the surfboard doesn't travel easily, the X-Ride needs wind, and the Mako is right on the edge when wind speeds drop.

The Mako barely fits in my bag, so I'm guessing I could go up to 153cm, but 160cm is probably a stretch. Any new board has to fit in my bag, so there's one requirement.

In an ideal world, I'd demo a bunch of shapes, narrow it down, and pick the one that feels right. Since I don't live in that world, I'm going to buy a board, stuff it into my bag, travel, and hope that I like it.

I can't read any more reviews of light wind boards, as they feel like they've been written by the same person. Each board extends your # of sessions, is nimble, tracks upwind, offers freestyle opportunities, and is generally awesome. And the current year model is always better than the prior year model. Some have heel-side fins while others have all four corners covered.

I've read about the North Spike, Cabrinha Stylus, Axis Patrol, SS Glide, and the OR Origin. I've searched this forum too.

I weigh 170 lbs.

Christmas is coming and I've been good (this year). Can any of you offer specific recommendations?

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2053 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostMon Nov 09, 15 10:08 am    Re: Light wind twin-tips Reply with quote

westportcap wrote:

I've read about the North Spike, Cabrinha Stylus, Axis Patrol, SS Glide, and the OR Origin. I've searched this forum too.

Can any of you offer specific recommendations?

It is pretty simple, don't be a big kite snob. If you want to ride in marginal winds get the biggest kite out there like the Ozone 17 m zephyr, slingshot turbine just to name a few. Also no need to reinvent the wheel, The Glide works wonders. I haven't tried any of the other Tt's you mentioned. And skim boards work wonders too. Do they travel well? No. Maybe someone makes a skim that breaks down for travel?

The other light wind buster is a foil, but then your dealing with size and extra portage costs.

Much easier to pack another big kite.

Sella

Since 21 Apr 2007
1794 Posts
Doin' The Dalles
FLY'IN HIGH PIE GUY

PostMon Nov 09, 15 10:30 am     Reply with quote

At 170 lbs what's your biggest kite? Your 150 Mako, which already fits in your bag, should be all you need for travel as it works in about any condition.

Blazeheliski

Since 30 Mar 2011
655 Posts
Mosier
Addicted

PostMon Nov 09, 15 10:33 am     Reply with quote

If you are looking for a large light wind board that fits into luggage - there are various splitboard options. I personally know nothing about any of them - but this flysurfer one 160X44 looks pretty promising. Me personally - if I am traveling to a warm kitesurf location, I usually try to set up a rental with a shop that has lots of boards that I can swap out for any wind conditions.

http://www.flysurfer.com/en/produkte/boards/flysplit/

jerp

Since 22 Feb 2013
450 Posts

Obsessed

PostMon Nov 09, 15 11:58 am    Best breeze Reply with quote

Try the Best Light breeze if you can. I tried a few of the usual light wind boards and went with the breeze as it was great in light wind, still capable when it came to basic freestyle, only 145cm so easy to travel with and was much lighter than the others I looked at. It for sure doesn’t have the low end of a big SS glide but it has enough to avoid switching between kites

I just bring my regular TT and the LW TT to wherever I am riding and swap them out depending on the wind. Saves so much time blowing up and rigging another kite when the wind dies.

westportcap

Since 08 Jan 2012
54 Posts

PostMon Nov 09, 15 12:05 pm     Reply with quote

I've got a Sauvie kite, a 15m OR Flite, that I use with my surfboard. That combo is OK, but I haven't really liked the Flite + Mako marriage. The Flite seems to benefit from the edge and flotation the surfboard offers.

The Mako is long enough to qualify for light wind, but the rocker and concave bottom which makes it so good in gorge chop hurts its LW performance. I have ridden it many times in marginal 12m conditions in Tulum, Maui, + Florida. It functions, but just barely.

I should have mentioned that I have three trips planned next year, none of which will offer easy access to rental gear. One location will be relatively remote and the other two will be on boats.

jerp

Since 22 Feb 2013
450 Posts

Obsessed

PostMon Nov 09, 15 12:15 pm    sauvie Reply with quote

I ride sauvie typically with my 15M LF solo and best breeze. shame you didn't post earlier in the year you could have demo'd the board

Blazeheliski

Since 30 Mar 2011
655 Posts
Mosier
Addicted

PostMon Nov 09, 15 12:50 pm     Reply with quote

westportcap wrote:
I've got a Sauvie kite, a 15m OR Flite, that I use with my surfboard. That combo is OK, but I haven't really liked the Flite + Mako marriage. The Flite seems to benefit from the edge and flotation the surfboard offers.

The Mako is long enough to qualify for light wind, but the rocker and concave bottom which makes it so good in gorge chop hurts its LW performance. I have ridden it many times in marginal 12m conditions in Tulum, Maui, + Florida. It functions, but just barely.

I should have mentioned that I have three trips planned next year, none of which will offer easy access to rental gear. One location will be relatively remote and the other two will be on boats.

As suggested above - maybe just a bigger kite would do the trick with your set-up. I know at least a couple of people that started out with 15 m OR Flites, and they eventually switched to the 17m OR Flites, and they were much happier with their light wind sessions. That might be easier than trying to figure out a board you like. The range of the 17s seems to be pretty large. Their quivers go 17 Flite/12/10ish/8ish/rooster kite. That quiver pretty much gets them out in just about all conditions.

Loneski

Since 18 Dec 2010
103 Posts
Washington
Stoked

PostMon Nov 09, 15 1:12 pm    Big kite Reply with quote

I ride light wind a lot. Surfboard and a 12 all summer. I wanted to ride the mako but just didn't have the wind (slogging). So I pulled out the old 2010 liquid force havoc 16. Hadn't ridden it in years. It was so fun. No white caps and I was launching big floaty jumps and having the time of my life. Save your money and buy a super cheap older big kite and you won't be disappointed.

LJ

Since 20 Nov 2013
131 Posts
PDX but HR Homegrown
Stoked

PostMon Nov 09, 15 1:21 pm     Reply with quote

Just put my Aggression Custom to the top of the classifieds page for this thread, couldnt resist, and no this is not the $600 one listed earlier in the season.

Larry

Electric Goat

Since 01 Aug 2014
7 Posts
Port Scandalous
Kook

PostTue Nov 10, 15 1:50 am     Reply with quote

I love the Slingshot 146cm Misfit for light wind. It is super versatile with minimal rocker between the feet and nice progressive elliptical rocker on the tips. Also, minimal concave bottom contour like a perfect skipping rock.....ultimate planing surface but just enough break in the plane to turn chop into butter.

I've ridden the 146 from under 10mph with a SS 17m Turbine up to unplanned 40mph storm fronts on small kites.......so dang versatile and fits many golf bags.

As a big bonus, it's made in the USA with fast growth FSC lumber from the NW and has epic graphics.javascript:emoticon('Shocked')

caps

Since 23 Dec 2010
343 Posts

Obsessed

PostTue Nov 10, 15 5:58 am     Reply with quote

Ditto on the ss misfit 146- super versatile. It's the only board I don't loan out...

kwalshpc

Since 24 Oct 2014
142 Posts

Stoked

PostTue Nov 10, 15 6:15 am    Board Reply with quote

Pretty simple - Wide is more important than length, 140 - 146, wide, and flat rocker. If you can find an old WLF ( wide liquid force), it would work. You can probably post a wanted to buy ad and find it cheap.

Also - if you are traveling anyway - go somewhere it's windy! Hopefully - REALLY WINDY.

westportcap

Since 08 Jan 2012
54 Posts

PostTue Nov 10, 15 11:57 am     Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for the many good ideas here.

stringy

Since 23 Jun 2006
1724 Posts
vancouver
XTreme Poster

PostTue Nov 10, 15 3:02 pm     Reply with quote

I used to have the WLF and loved it for light wind. It wasn't as good as the Slingshot Glide for light wind, but it was much more fun. they came in two lengths so I would consider the longer version. another option you should consider is maybe upgrading to a better deceiver bag. there are plenty of variations out now and some longer than others.
in the future if you're stuck going to a destination that is typically light winds, you might also consider a foil. foil board designs keep changing to where they are much smaller than even a tt. the whole setup really doesn't add as much weight/room as one would think.

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4199 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostTue Nov 10, 15 3:22 pm     Reply with quote

I use an old style glide, it fits in my deceiver bag just barely along with my Mako 150. I have no idea how well the new glides fit, I haven't tried one yet.

That old glide is a session saver. not as good as a foil, but as good or better than anything else. I have 3, and I'll keep them till they break. Very Happy

dhannf

Since 29 Nov 2010
42 Posts

PostTue Nov 10, 15 6:58 pm     Reply with quote

You might consider a custom board from MTH Kiteboards out of Shasta. The price is cheaper than you would think, for a custom board. You get to decide your specs. I ordered one a couple weeks ago, after seeing a friends, for $385. Expecting it in about a week. Just something else to consider.

Dan

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: