Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Spots inside on North Coast Southerlies

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
macgruber

Since 06 Dec 2011
490 Posts
SE PDX volcano
Obsessed

PostSat Nov 07, 15 7:10 am    Spots inside on North Coast Southerlies Reply with quote

25 knot Southerlies today on the north coast. Only 8' but ramping up so I'm thinking of trying something inside. I've done manzanita many times on northerlies and lot d on easterlies. What about Southerlies? Seems lot d could work if the tide is high enough to stay inside. Washington side? Chinook? Nehalem bay would be closest for me. Seems like the state park boat ramp could work. Netarts or Tillamook bay? Did a search but most info is from last decade and summertime northerlies.

caps

Since 23 Dec 2010
343 Posts

Obsessed

PostSat Nov 07, 15 11:24 am     Reply with quote

Seaside river inlet and ponds on all but low tide for south winds. Careful, as always, with an outgoing tide at the ponds. I like Cannon Beach on a south on the inside if the swell is too big. Watch the group of rocks mid-Cannon beach. If you don't know where they all are, get out and walk the beach around them on downwinders. Or just launch at Mo's and you're well south of them and just point sail. Also, a south wind on inside waves from Seaside to Fort Stevens is always fun...careful with rips! In general, kiting on big wave days with the plan to stay inside is for the experienced kiter who rarely drops their kite. This is all my humble opinion fron someone who has occasionally pushed their limit...and survived to tell about it!

honda1

Since 11 Sep 2013
183 Posts

Stoked

PostSat Nov 07, 15 12:20 pm    Manzo Reply with quote

What forecast do I use for manzanita. From the original post kiting manzo is good for northerlies... Does that end up being a on shore or side on shore. Are northerlies the best for manzanita

macgruber

Since 06 Dec 2011
490 Posts
SE PDX volcano
Obsessed

PostSat Nov 07, 15 1:23 pm     Reply with quote

I use ikitesurf but their forecasts are done for the season. For NOAA I use the cape shoalwater to cascade head zone. Temira at TheGorgeismyGym.com gives forecasts but is done with the coast now too. I'm working in Cannon for a few days and hoped to kite today but just got here. It's 8-25 at Manzo and 30 at ft Stevens but that meter doesn't give anything but the average. I bet the gusts are huge! The big killer for me not to drive up to Lot D is 100% chance of rain 2pm and after. Low tide at 4 doesn't help either, should have got here earlier. Washing machine conditions and light rain with 15-40 mph here at Cannon

CrazyHerb

Since 04 Oct 2008
79 Posts
Ilwaco, WA

PostSat Nov 07, 15 1:29 pm    Chinook.. Reply with quote

If you don't mind crossing the bridge. Chinook is fun on Southies.
Between Chinook park and the port (stay on inside of the pilings) there's a nice channel with a sand bar all the way to low tide. Might hit it after this little squall here in few minutes. Wet and wild!!

I usually wait for lighter wind on the tail end of weather patterns and hit the butter.
Small beach access for up to 4 about cars is Olson St.

Nice neighbors, I always give them a wave an a smile (I know a few of them).
The beach gets really narrow at high tide, so I usually plan around that. And the current flows SW on outgoing tide towards the port.

Fun little spot...when the timing is right.
Shoot me a PM if anyone comes out this way.

Here's a video from a post-weather sunset ride last week:
https://vimeo.com/143956655

I'm working on scouting some locations around Baker Bay/Stringtown Rd. in Ilwaco as well. It's pretty much my back yard. Will report back here if I ever get out on the bay.

KITE ON!!
Steve

A.K.

Since 01 Jul 2006
190 Posts

Stoked

PostSun Nov 08, 15 3:12 pm     Reply with quote

I have heard and seen good things happen at Cannon Beach on Southerlies.

It seems like spots that are good on Northlies are weak on Southerlies. And the inverse is true. Spots that are good on Southerlies are weak on Northerlies. This is my theory anyways.......

Hopefully a north coast native will weigh in on this conversation......

barfly

Since 31 Mar 2005
1210 Posts
Seaside
BRACKISH

PostMon Nov 09, 15 12:28 pm     Reply with quote

CrazyHerb is a native.

In general southerlies don't care where you are. For the open beaches there is not a discernible difference that land masses and inland weather affect them like northerlies.

Other than what has been stated here, the general rule of thumb is find an open beach without obstructions (that includes rocks and seastacks like Cannon) and wait for your two hour window of wind. Within two hours the conditions will change (it will blow harder, drop off completely, blow lighter, and or rain like a mofo). Typically gusty and unpredictable so take that into account when you rig and voyage out into 15' seas. Once in a while it will produce world class wind and sea conditions, 2 out of 10 times. So if you get a great session or a crappy one, don't lock yourself into or profess a generalization about which beach you are on being great or not great. Every single beach can produce great sessions or terrible ones depending on the storm and the seas but not in a predictable way like seasonal weather/afternoon thermals/etc.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: