Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Baja Bound! La Ventana questions!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
dallass16

Since 01 Nov 2015
3 Posts
Gig Harbor, WA
Kook

PostSun Nov 01, 15 8:53 pm    Baja Bound! La Ventana questions! Reply with quote

Ok so my friend and I are planning on caravanning with an old dude down to la ventana the day after xmas for some epic kiting! We all haven't made this trip before and we are in hopes of some advice-- whatever ya got let us know! Horror stories and all! My friend and I (both 20 y.o girls) will be going with an old surfer who has been to the north baja ( years and years ago) but other than that we really have no idea what we are getting into . Have been reading up on drive times, where to and not to stop, but would love more insight from all of you experienced baja travelers!

-- we have already booked to stay at a house in el sargento too --

runaway

Since 31 Aug 2010
66 Posts
Anchorage

PostSun Nov 01, 15 10:35 pm    poor old guy Reply with quote

I wonder what is considered "old" to these young ladies LOL

have a great trip. try to find others to caravan with in the North...the South seems mellow and beautiful

wylieflyote

Since 30 Jun 2006
1634 Posts
Puget Sound & Wa. Coast
XTreme Poster

PostMon Nov 02, 15 4:47 am     Reply with quote

http://forums.bajanomad.com

BajaNomad is one excellent source for all things Baja, with information such as "How to cross the border with proper paperwork" "Which border crossing is best" "Best places to stay on your route" "What to bring" "Where to avoid"
Sign up and ask your question and you will get quality replies. I used to have an image-by-image border crossing page that really helped with getting through Tijuana. I'll find it.
There are even constant caravans forming if your inclined to use that method.
Open mind. If you've got some arrogance leave that at home. Never hurry. Enjoy.

Signed... older than "old guy"

dallass16

Since 01 Nov 2015
3 Posts
Gig Harbor, WA
Kook

PostMon Nov 02, 15 12:17 pm     Reply with quote

Haha thanks guys! With all respect nothing wrong with older guys :p just thought I'd be specific so you knew it wasn't just young girls crossing the boarder alone! Very Happy

deminimis

Since 15 Jul 2014
326 Posts
On the Rocks
Obsessed

PostMon Nov 02, 15 3:04 pm     Reply with quote

Just scratching the surface.

Always get out of your rig to keep an eye on the pump when filling up. Actually, don't fill up, ask for a set amount ($500 pesos, for example). Also, the Pemex at the north end of Villa Jesús María rips you off when it comes to the volume of diesel purchased (by a lot). Not sure about gas, but I would assume it's the same story. That is about the worst Pemex I've come across in recent years, so avoid it if you can. If possible, keep going into Guerrero Negro for fuel (your likely stay-over anyway). However, the taco stand across from the Pemex in Villa Jesús María is pretty decent (round building).

As mentioned above, Bajanomad is a great source.

In Spring when we crossed at TJ, we did it on a Sunday morning. First time we did our paperwork after crossing at TJ (we usually camp/park on the US side, walk across the night before, do our paperwork, then cross/rip at first light). Crossing/paperwork on Sunday morning was a breeze. Easiest TJ crossing we ever did.

I have friends that hang out in TJ. No thanks. With an overabundance of caution perhaps, we cross with empty bladders and don't stop (or relax really) until well south of Ensenada. Well, I take that back, the wife and kids had to make a pit stop while on the toll road last time. That said, we have never had a single problem with anyone from Baja ever. A hell of a lot safer than, say, So California, in my opinion. Can't wait to get back. March can't get here soon enough.

We spent a couple days in San Ignacio one year (stayed in a yurt). Pretty cool place if you have the time. Actually, we've stayed just about every place you can in Baja over the years (off-roading, following the 1,000 routes, just exploring, camping at beach to beach to beach, etc) and there are tons of great places to hang out. LV is probably about our least favorite, but it's got the wind and we get to hang with friends, so there we go. Cabo Pulmo is a must, if you have the time.

Oh, eat tacos every chance you get. Lots of tacos.

We caravan'd once. We split before Ensenada (and later met up in GN for beers). It was just a pain (we were pulling a buggy with an underpowered Land Cruiser and couldn't keep up very well). For your first trip, following someone through TJ to the toll road probably eases any apprehension you may have. However, once you're on the toll road, no real reason to do it. Also, there are videos on youtube showing the route. Really easy to do. DO NOT drive Mex 1 at night. Cattle and who knows what else is on the road. Some truckers drive that road like they have a death wish and at night, it only gets worse. Better to end your day behind the wheel before the sun sets and go eat tacos, drink beer. If you have any specific questions, feel free to PM me.

Watch for topes and pot holes.

When it comes to driving in Baja, this little PSA helps:

deminimis

Since 15 Jul 2014
326 Posts
On the Rocks
Obsessed

PostMon Nov 02, 15 3:33 pm     Reply with quote

Oh, if you can score a Baja Almanac, you might do it. Not sure when the next edition is coming out, but worth its weight in gold. Really more valuable if you're not staying on the beaten path, but good even if you just stay on Mex 1. A Garmin is good too. The nav in my truck is powered by Garmin and it even showed the trail heading into my friend's place in LV, which was damn impressive.

dallass16

Since 01 Nov 2015
3 Posts
Gig Harbor, WA
Kook

PostTue Nov 03, 15 10:58 pm     Reply with quote

Awesome. Thanks You!!

A.K.

Since 01 Jul 2006
190 Posts

Stoked

PostWed Nov 04, 15 1:18 pm     Reply with quote

I would get on the Ventana View email list serve. Be proactive and make a post requesting for a caravan. With this action you will quickly get replies from all the folks on the west coast who are driving to LV around the same time. I made the drive for the first time two years ago and had the perfect caravan group which included the following:

- larger caravan 3-4 cars
- one person who has made the trip several times and recently
- one person who is fluent in Spanish
- take at least 3 (or even 4 days) for the drive down (baja section). No reason to push everyone to the breaking point.

Enjoy it - this is one of the most epic drives on the planet.......Since you are going this far anyway - complete the journey by driving down to the very end ----Lands End Cabo San Lucas.

deminimis

Since 15 Jul 2014
326 Posts
On the Rocks
Obsessed

PostWed Nov 04, 15 1:48 pm     Reply with quote

3-4 days for the Baja is good advice.

Me, I just can't do it, if left to my own devices. Buggy hauling trip from The Dalles area Day 1: San Diego and a couple hours of sleep at the border before day break, Day 2: GN, Day 3: San Jose del Cabo. That's a bit extreme. Generally, with a wife that won't let me drive non-stop and I swear has a bladder the size of a thimble, we take two days getting to the border and three days making the trek through Baja to LV. Again no night driving. However, this last trip, for the return, we'd let out at around 4AM, light up the road with our leds, and get some miles under our belt before day break. Doing that, we were able to take the back way home and beach camp every early afternoon. Damn, damn, damn, I can't wait for March. This thread is killing me.

knotwindy

Since 25 Sep 2011
598 Posts

Addicted

PostThu Nov 12, 15 8:33 am     Reply with quote

well, this might help, might not
yesterday 85 degree air, 81 degree water, blowing 29-33
a good time was had by all. which, in this case, means very few,
nice swell and elevator jumps,
come on down....

Sella

Since 21 Apr 2007
1794 Posts
Doin' The Dalles
FLY'IN HIGH PIE GUY

PostThu Nov 12, 15 9:07 am     Reply with quote

knotwindy wrote:
yesterday 85 degree air, 81 degree water, blowing 29-33

Painful to read....but glad somebody is not letting it go to waste. Very Happy

TommyK

Since 18 May 2015
47 Posts

PostThu Nov 12, 15 9:45 am     Reply with quote

85 degree air, 81 degree water, blowing 29-33 ......

Ouch, that's gonna leave a mark !

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: