Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

suggestions for winter break

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
markamcclure

Since 20 May 2011
164 Posts
Portland, OR
Stoked

PostMon Oct 26, 15 11:05 am    suggestions for winter break Reply with quote

I am considering a one week trip to somewhere warm over winter break. My family (including my boys 11 and 13) and possibly another family will be going. We have been to Maui and Los Barilles and want to try some place new. I have been to Punta San Carlos (windsurfing, but not kiting).

Considering Aruba, Margarita, Caberete, Caribbean...

It needs to be very wife-friendly and kid-friendly.

I am an intermediate kiter (self-sufficient, but still learning jibes on a directional). I would love to try some mellow waves.

Suggestions?

kitebug

Since 27 Apr 2015
40 Posts
Hood River

PostMon Oct 26, 15 11:39 am     Reply with quote

Cabarete is great, went last year. We're doing La Ventana this year. Cabarete is definitely has more accommodations, a little more flying time from here, but great hotels and restaurants right in front of the kiting areas.

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1470 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostMon Oct 26, 15 11:46 am     Reply with quote

when do you plan to go - which month?
does anyone in your family kite besides you?
is your primary focus to have wind or you hope to catch a few windy days if it happens to blow?

Shef

Since 22 Oct 2014
62 Posts

PostTue Oct 27, 15 9:02 am     Reply with quote

Aruba is beautiful, but for kiting I was very disappointed when I went there last year. Development has drastically shrunk the size of the kiting spot near the hotels (wind wasn't great either) and while the other side of the island is apparently better for kiting (on-shore winds), there is nothing around there (no food, shade, etc), so not wife and kid-friendly .

markamcclure

Since 20 May 2011
164 Posts
Portland, OR
Stoked

PostTue Oct 27, 15 11:22 am     Reply with quote

ldhr wrote:
when do you plan to go - which month?
does anyone in your family kite besides you?
is your primary focus to have wind or you hope to catch a few windy days if it happens to blow?

time frame is last two weeks of December.

My wife has taken one lesson and might be interested in more. However she is probably ok with not doing any more lessons.

I am hoping for steady wind about 2/3 of the days or more. The bottom line is that is has to have fun stuff for the rest of the family for us to go...

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1470 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostTue Oct 27, 15 11:45 am     Reply with quote

Get yourself a copy of The World Kite and Windsurfing Guide.
It's pretty comprehensive.
I'm not seeing much to recommend that time of year except Baja or Cancun.
Aruba is not very friendly.....
Caribbean islands like Barbados are an option but they're expensive and it's getting late for Xmas reservations....
Cabarete gets the thumbs down for lack of good wind in December.....
I've been in the same boat except my wife and 2 kids are enthusiastic kiters and we always ended up in La Ventana. It's a great place to spend Xmas.
Everyone liked it there and it's reasonable $$.
Cancun might be a different option that's family friendly.
http://kitesurfmexico.com/kiteboard-isla-blanca-cancun/
http://www.siankite.com/

You could PM to 'Nak' - he's spent time down there and posted some info.
Also use the search on this site and type in Cancun.

kwalshpc

Since 24 Oct 2014
142 Posts

Stoked

PostTue Oct 27, 15 12:27 pm     Reply with quote

If you are going by 12/31 - Jericoacora Brazil. Cool town, great kiting - on a schedule since the wind is super reliable - Cheap right now. I don't know too much about Jan to April.

Blazeheliski

Since 30 Mar 2011
655 Posts
Mosier
Addicted

PostTue Oct 27, 15 1:36 pm     Reply with quote

I totally understand wanting to try some place new to kite. Ever since I started kiting - my list of places I want to check out got 10 times longer.

But if I am responsible for other people having a good time also when they are non-kiters - I would probably fall back on my old standby of Maui. It is pretty hard to beat the combination of easy access kiting, and a whole host of other activities for non-kiters, and for you if there is no wind. No language barriers to deal with and a great set up for kids.

I would be more inclined to to exploratory kite trips if it was just me and the wife going. Then if we really liked the place, we could go back again with kids, other families, etc.

WindSki

Since 14 Dec 2012
402 Posts
Portland
Obsessed

PostTue Oct 27, 15 6:26 pm     Reply with quote

www.dreamlandinbrazil.com

Wind, wind, wind

All meals and all drinks included !!

Ryan

Since 14 Jul 2005
536 Posts
Oregon
Addicted

PostWed Oct 28, 15 6:39 am    panama? Reply with quote

Check out Punta Chame in Panama. Good flat water in the afternoons and lots of beaches to explore within an hour with surf and wind. Punta Chame is a little isolated but still lots to do for several days and just over an hour to Panama City.

Also just came across this: panamakitesurfingcruise.com
I dont know anything about it but have been to the San Blas and they are beautiful and unique. The one day I was there it was blowing 15 and I was wishing I had my gear.

These two options would give you some great variety in the pacific and the Caribbean with some great history and people and places to explore along the way. Not just focused on the kites but family outings as well. Very Happy

markamcclure

Since 20 May 2011
164 Posts
Portland, OR
Stoked

PostWed Nov 04, 15 11:38 am     Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips. We are looking at Mazatlan (close flight, conveniences for a family, etc...). I am still holding out some hope for kiting. Anyone ever Kited at Mazatlan? Web sources say Dec/Jan is in season.

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4199 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostThu Nov 05, 15 4:56 pm     Reply with quote

You mentioned Margarita. Especially with the Venezuelan economy collapsing I'd highly recommend against it unless you can go direct to the island, skipping Caracas. Even the locals on the islands were insistent that I avoid Caracas. With the economy collapsing, the danger to your wife and kids just isn't worth it. I don't believe any American carrier flies direct to Porlamor--the airport on Margarita. However, I believe some Canadian and European carriers do. Margarita didn't look like a real thrilling place for kids though... And way too crowded to enjoy kiting, at least when I was there. Coche was much better, but still boring for kids.

The Cancun area can be hit or miss. You might get some great kiting in, you might get skunked. Great place for the family though. The Great Parnassus is all inclusive and has a water park the kids will love. I'm not sure how the launch is there, but you could take day trips to Tulum or Isla Blanca. The kids won't even notice you're gone. Smile

macgruber

Since 06 Dec 2011
490 Posts
SE PDX volcano
Obsessed

PostThu Nov 05, 15 9:45 pm    Sayulita Reply with quote

Sayulita is a great town for families and surfing just north of Puerto Vallarta. Ive heard Punta de Mita nearby has wind. When I was there for the day, San Fransisco (just north) had enough wind to kite. Sayulita has tons of American owned houses with views to rent and no big hotels. The surf has a left and right and theres an Oregon couple who rents any of a 100 boards cheap ($5 an hour 5 years ago). They run a raft company in Maupin during the summer. Anyone kited nearby?

Saw Cancun to Tulum 8 years ago. Tulum looked awesome, hated Cancun. Its a haul for kids though. So hard to beat Maui!

lewmt

Since 04 Aug 2010
182 Posts
MT
Stoked

PostFri Nov 06, 15 9:26 am     Reply with quote

Quote:
Also just came across this: panamakitesurfingcruise.com
I dont know anything about it but have been to the San Blas and they are beautiful and unique. The one day I was there it was blowing 15 and I was wishing I had my gear.

I went on that cruise last March. Wind every day but always 14M. Great snorkelling(diving not allowed in San Blas), I wouldn't recommend it as kid friendly though. More of an adult cruise. Interesting area, interesting culture (Kuna indians). Great couples or young adults type cruise. No waves although they say they are exploring possibilities.

I'm really curious Ryan about the kiteable waves near Punta Chame? I'd love to go back to Panama & explore more there.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: