Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

You guys getting meadows passes this year?
Page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
OG

Since 07 Jun 2011
533 Posts

Addicted

PostFri Oct 23, 15 6:47 am    You guys getting meadows passes this year? Reply with quote

The last day to buy is a few weeks away. Im seeing all of this stuff from the weather folks about us experiencing an extreme el nino this winter. Everything Im seeing day to day says that something is definitely different, and for the most part i really like it.

So, Im in this place where Im pretty torn about wanting to buy the season pass. Do any of you out there that know about el ninos in the pacific northwest have opinions on snowfall during these kinds of periods? Any thoughts on it being better or worse than last season?

Id buy a pass again for last seasons conditions or better.

Last edited by OG on Fri Oct 23, 15 9:09 am; edited 1 time in total

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1470 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostFri Oct 23, 15 8:37 am     Reply with quote

I bought a pass..... even though NOAA is pessimistic for NW snowfall.
The current El Nino is very strong - almost a super El Nino.
There have been 2 previous super El Nino years -
1982-83 dumped 623 inches of snow at Meadows, 145% of the 429 inch average snowfall.
1997-98 brought a respectable 385 inches, or 90% of average.

FYI - the years following an El Nino (La Nina's) are when we get record snowfall.
98-99 was the record breaking year at Meadows.

Last edited by ldhr on Sat Oct 24, 15 10:26 am; edited 1 time in total

Singlemalt

Since 21 Jun 2015
460 Posts
White Salmon
Obsessed

PostFri Oct 23, 15 8:45 am     Reply with quote

In '89-90 Meadows didn't open until the second week of January. El Niņo. January through March '90 saw 400+". It snowed and snowed and snowed.

You pays your money, and you takes your chances.

Question is, will you roll up to Meadows and buy 5 or 6 lift tickets at full pop? Might as well buy a pass.

I look at it like a gym membership. Sometimes I go up just to get some exercise, and because I bought a pass. Last year I would have done better with a Spring pass, but half of the best days were that storm in December.

I just renew each spring for the best deal and forget about it. Like a gym membership.

Windance Crew

Since 18 Apr 2008
473 Posts
Hood River Kite Shop
Obsessed

PostFri Oct 23, 15 2:43 pm     Reply with quote

You betcha, why not? It's cheaper than all other mountains I know of. Plus just being up there, powder or not, beats hanging out in the grey valley a lot of times.

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2053 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostFri Oct 23, 15 4:19 pm     Reply with quote

The bigger and better snow quality mountain to the south has had way better snow pack and conditions these past two sparse years. I guess sparse is a relative term.

39 days last year, only 3 powder days (missed a few good days) and no rocks hit.

Bach it up.

stringy

Since 23 Jun 2006
1724 Posts
vancouver
XTreme Poster

PostFri Oct 23, 15 4:25 pm     Reply with quote

not gonna buy a meadows pass, but will hold out for the spring pass since it seems the seasons are so late. I mean it's third week of october and we havent seen shit for rain yet. not that I'm complaining because its been windy almost everyday.

Justsmile

Since 20 Jul 2009
1523 Posts
Not Portland
XTreme Poster

PostFri Oct 23, 15 4:56 pm     Reply with quote

save your money and go to Crystal for the good days. the mountain around here can not compete. buy the spring pass and enjoy the spring days. The mountain needs to wake up as much as they charge. And while I am on the band wagon they need to open heather canyon up early to pack it out. MHM Is the only mountain that waits to open the terrain because they want so much snow. track it early and make it stable. !!!

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1470 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostFri Oct 23, 15 7:16 pm     Reply with quote

toski

toski.jpg 

deminimis

Since 15 Jul 2014
326 Posts
On the Rocks
Obsessed

PostWed Oct 28, 15 7:57 am     Reply with quote

The Nuggets already have their passes, so I may as well do the same. Even if snow eludes us again, there's still beer up there.

Trent

Since 10 May 2012
76 Posts
Hood River

PostWed Oct 28, 15 9:56 am     Reply with quote

FWIW - The reason it takes a while for Meadows to open Heather has nothing to do with avalanche danger. They'd open it on day 1 if they could. The issue is that they need a lot of snow down low in the run-out in order to build snow bridges across the creek. If you ever check out the run-out in the summer time you'll see how much snow is required to push into the creek to build the bridges.

bigjohn

Since 13 Mar 2012
663 Posts

Addicted

PostWed Oct 28, 15 10:15 am    Fusion Pass Reply with quote

I'm thinking fusion pass this year.
http://www.mthoodfusionpass.com/buy-your-pass/

My thinking goes along the lines that El nino is going to ruin lower elevation skiing, however timberline has the Glacier option. Also, Timberline seems more open to back country skiing.

Anybody else out there have experiences with fusion passes? opinions???

Blazeheliski

Since 30 Mar 2011
655 Posts
Mosier
Addicted

PostWed Oct 28, 15 10:43 am    Re: Fusion Pass Reply with quote

bigjohn wrote:

My thinking goes along the lines that El nino is going to ruin lower elevation skiing, however timberline has the Glacier option. Also, Timberline seems more open to back country skiing.

Anybody else out there have experiences with fusion passes? opinions???

Considering the season last year - a Fusion pass is essentially just a Timberline pass. Was skibowl even open once last year?

quenyaistar

Since 21 Oct 2011
416 Posts
Cougar, WA
Obsessed

PostWed Oct 28, 15 10:51 am     Reply with quote

Trent wrote:
FWIW - The reason it takes a while for Meadows to open Heather has nothing to do with avalanche danger. They'd open it on day 1 if they could. The issue is that they need a lot of snow down low in the run-out in order to build snow bridges across the creek. If you ever check out the run-out in the summer time you'll see how much snow is required to push into the creek to build the bridges.

Why don't they build a simple bridge across it in the summer a few inches of snow and you are good to go.

Trent

Since 10 May 2012
76 Posts
Hood River

PostWed Oct 28, 15 11:03 am     Reply with quote

They'd need to build several bridges big enough and burly enough to accommodate snow cats. And the Forest Service won't let them, as of yet.

bigjohn

Since 13 Mar 2012
663 Posts

Addicted

PostWed Oct 28, 15 12:09 pm    Re: Fusion Pass Reply with quote

Blazeheliski wrote:

Considering the season last year - a Fusion pass is essentially just a Timberline pass. Was skibowl even open once last year?

Thanks Blazehelski,

I hadn't realized there was another option. It appears I can get a timberline only ticket for $399, or a fusion pass for $499.

https://tickets.timberlinelodge.com/ItemList.aspx?node_id=369861

Now I need to decide if the extra benefits of a fusion pass are worth $100.

FYI for everybody, early discounts are only til November 8th for both Timberline and Meadows.

OG

Since 07 Jun 2011
533 Posts

Addicted

PostWed Oct 28, 15 12:19 pm    Re: Fusion Pass Reply with quote

[quote="Blazeheliski"]
bigjohn wrote:
Was skibowl even open once last year?

I was at EVO over weekend. Cute chick selling fusion passes said skibowl was open 11 days last year. So, no, really wasn't open. But man, that place is so good when its good.

Also, I hadn't thought about the glacier. Anyone know if TL will be running the the upper chairs during the winter? The year before last, they were only doing the uppers with the snowcat, and i think that was only during the weekend.

Blazeheliski

Since 30 Mar 2011
655 Posts
Mosier
Addicted

PostWed Oct 28, 15 12:29 pm     Reply with quote

quenyaistar wrote:
Trent wrote:

Why don't they build a simple bridge across it in the summer a few inches of snow and you are good to go.

I remember about 15-20 years ago Meadows had huge plans to put in lodging down at the base area. To put lifts into Heather and White River canyon and lifts higher than they go now. It would have made Meadows a destination resort. Predictably - they were quickly shut down by the environmentalists, Indian tribes, and Forest service. Meadows is only allowed to make changes within their current footprint. Any attempts to expand anything on Mt Hood is automatically nixed by the usual suspects ......... Sad

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: