Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Hooking in with Ride Engine Harness.
Page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1470 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostFri Oct 09, 15 9:57 am    Hooking in with Ride Engine Harness. Reply with quote

I have the new Ride Engine harness with a rope instead of the hook.
For "hooking in" they recommend you pop your quick release and thread the chicken loop around the rope.
I'm not crazy about opening my chicken loop every time i launch and land.
I'm also worried about the rope wearing thru the plastic on the chicken loop even though Ride Engine says the rope will wear - not the chicken loop..

Ideas? Feedback? Photos of a good shackle or mini carabiner to use?

SoCam

Since 27 Jul 2011
29 Posts
Ventura CA

PostFri Oct 09, 15 10:37 am     Reply with quote

Lots of different solutions to this. I use a solid stainless ring that is permanently fixed on the rope.

I've replaced the chicken loop altogether on some bars, using a snap shackle instead. But if I use a bar with a chicken loop, punch out and thread it through the ring. No big deal. In fact it forces practice with your safety device, and a daily check of how well it's working.

Something like this: http://www.westmarine.com/buy/west-marine--stainless-steel-o-rings--P002_060_006_002

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1470 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostFri Oct 09, 15 10:50 am     Reply with quote

SoCam wrote:

I've replaced the chicken loop altogether on some bars, using a snap shackle instead. But if I use a bar with a chicken loop, punch out and thread it through the ring.

thanks. Do you have an opinion on whether it slides just as well with the ring?

SalmonSlayer

Since 27 Nov 2005
648 Posts

Addicted

CGKA Member

PostFri Oct 09, 15 11:11 am     Reply with quote

I have used both a ring and snap shackle. The slide the same.

I would suggest just buying the hook used on the Jaybar/Dynabar

http://321kiteboarding.com/collections/dynabar/products/dynabar-sliding-spreader-bar-hook

WindSki

Since 14 Dec 2012
402 Posts
Portland
Obsessed

PostFri Oct 09, 15 12:39 pm     Reply with quote

No suggestions from my side
I love the harness, I have 4 days in it and will never go back !!!
If anyone is even thinking of this harness, its well worth the money.

BCD131

Since 26 Mar 2013
31 Posts

PostFri Oct 09, 15 1:12 pm     Reply with quote

Cabrinha bars don't work with just the rope, their chicken loop does not open. So if you fly Cabrinha you'll have to get a different bar or get the sliding hook.

stringy

Since 23 Jun 2006
1724 Posts
vancouver
XTreme Poster

PostFri Oct 09, 15 1:19 pm     Reply with quote

I use the engine harness specifically when foiling or at the coast. I have 2 spreader bars setup for it.
first, I have one of the early ride engine harnesses back when coleman was a one person operation (pre-slingy)
it is setup with webbing straps to accommodate a dakine spreader bar system. I use a regular dakine spreader with hook when I want to jump with the foil, but have a sliding system where i use a small carabiner that I can easily clip into with my c-loop. this way I don't have to connect/re-connect the release system every time.

http://www.fisheriessupply.com/sea-dog-line-snap-hook-standard

Ryan

Since 14 Jul 2005
536 Posts
Oregon
Addicted

PostFri Oct 09, 15 2:08 pm    CL connection Reply with quote

I connect my CL directly to the rope. I don't like the idea of using a metal ring as I feel in some funny situations the CL may get hung up on the ring if/when releasing. I know many people do this but its not for me.

I have used the CL on rope for 2 seasons and found very little wear on the rope or CL. Releasing the CL every session is not a big deal, its a mechanical connection and is unlikely to wear due to this for most bars.

I would give it a shot and if you don't like the feel of the CL on rope add a ring/shackle etc making sure your CL will not get hung up when releases and loaded.

SoCam

Since 27 Jul 2011
29 Posts
Ventura CA

PostFri Oct 09, 15 2:12 pm     Reply with quote

The ring slides very well, I'm never aware of it moving, it's just always where you want it to be. The trick it getting the rope tight enough by coaxing the knots behind the spreader.

ldhr wrote:
SoCam wrote:

I've replaced the chicken loop altogether on some bars, using a snap shackle instead. But if I use a bar with a chicken loop, punch out and thread it through the ring.

thanks. Do you have an opinion on whether it slides just as well with the ring?

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1470 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostFri Oct 09, 15 2:14 pm     Reply with quote

thanks everyone - I got the answer I was looking for.
Ryan - I'll take your advice and follow Ride's recommendation to attach the CL to the rope directly.
If I don't like that solution - I'll try a simple ring or shackle.

Stringy - any idea what weight the biner is rated for?

I'm curious now how much force a kite could generate on the connection point?

Laird

Justsmile

Since 20 Jul 2009
1523 Posts
Not Portland
XTreme Poster

PostFri Oct 09, 15 4:40 pm     Reply with quote

How is the sizing. Waist size 35 and medium is what the site says I should wear??never been a medium:-)!

aksurfer

Since 30 Aug 2010
90 Posts
Anchorage, AK

PostFri Oct 09, 15 5:02 pm     Reply with quote

Works even better if you have the ability to shorten your chicken loop.

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1470 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostFri Oct 09, 15 7:04 pm     Reply with quote

Dog Patrol wrote:
How is the sizing. Waist size 35 and medium is what the site says I should wear??never been a medium:-)!

They should tell you to measure the fattest part of your stomach and go by that, not the waist size of your pants.

I wear 33 pants and I'm in between medium and large.
My stomach measures 35.

Blazeheliski

Since 30 Mar 2011
655 Posts
Mosier
Addicted

PostFri Oct 09, 15 8:25 pm     Reply with quote

I have used the custom Engine harness with the dynabar 7 for a few seasons. I have it set up with the ring on the rope and the fixed hook in the center so that I can hook in when I switch to my twintip. I have used the dynarbar sliding hook, the West Marine ring on the rope and the chickenloop directly on the rope. I prefer the ring on the rope. I think it slides a bit better than the chickenloop directly on the rope. I think opening your chicken loop every time you start your session is a good safety check. Safety works just fine on the rope or with the ring - it never gets caught.

10155787_808183715859319_5353778514023211393_n.jpg 
   10305058_808183732525984_8050251484935065689_n.jpg 

kt

Since 16 Mar 2005
759 Posts
Portland, Or
Opinionated

PostWed Oct 14, 15 7:21 am     Reply with quote

ldhr wrote:

They should tell you to measure the fattest part of your stomach and go by that, not the waist size of your pants.

My stomach measures 35.

Hey ldhr,

So what size do you have?

kt

dwaynej

Since 09 Sep 2013
207 Posts

Stoked

CGKA Member

PostWed Oct 14, 15 7:26 am     Reply with quote

I have the Dynabar and in their documentation they recommend the use of two rings to better distribute the load. The configuration in the picture below is just one of many configurations where you can move from sliding to hooked while on the water.

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1470 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostWed Oct 14, 15 7:53 am     Reply with quote

kt wrote:
ldhr wrote:

My stomach measures 35.

Hey ldhr,

So what size do you have?

kt

I went with the medium and 10" bar.
I originally ordered the 8" bar per their recommendation, but it was too small and the sliding rope on the 8" bar only allowed the chicken loop to slide a few inches from side to side. 10" bar is much better.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: