Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Help Create the HR Kite Park
Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
wakeup

Since 11 Sep 2005
328 Posts
always
Obsessed

PostSun Feb 25, 07 4:47 pm     Reply with quote

permits are covered
and it is definitely use at your own risk, just like the skate park and marina

i am a columbia river wakeboarder(when its not windy)
i don't kiteboard anymore, i wakeboard behind a kite
ha ha
no seriously, either can be used for wakeboarding or kiting
we used to hit some sliders of the past with the ski on calm days
just a matter of if the boat can get you close enough to it(anchorage/placement)
and if you want to hit either on a water ski---let me know --iwanna watch

Shocked

your ideas are good but your contribution would be even better

Frogman

Since 22 Feb 2007
9 Posts
NW Portland
Kook

PostSun Feb 25, 07 8:44 pm    Local startup company Reply with quote

A good skater friend of mine and I are starting up a local apparel company called EJKT and could use some help with advertising. We would love to throw in some $$ to help out with the slider.

Here is a photo with our logo on it. Let me know what ya'll think?

nwKite_ejkt_slider.jpg 

Frogman

Since 22 Feb 2007
9 Posts
NW Portland
Kook

PostSun Feb 25, 07 9:41 pm    Camo version Reply with quote

If everyone is hip on the camo I would be willing to paint it and pay for all the paint as well in order to be able to place our logo on it.

Here is what it might look like. I 'm also including a sample of my work.
Very Happy

camo_board.jpg 
   nwKite_camo_slider.jpg 

forrest

Since 21 Jun 2005
4329 Posts
Hood River
Hick

CGKA Member

PostMon Feb 26, 07 8:00 am     Reply with quote

Maybe a Blue, Black, and Grey camo would be sweet! Wouldn't clash with the color of the water. Razz

tinyE

Since 21 Jan 2006
2004 Posts
not really an
XTreme Poster

PostMon Feb 26, 07 8:03 am     Reply with quote

it's nice and noble and bla bla bla to do it all yourself independently... and if that's what you want, go for it... but i"m talking in the neighborhood of upwards around $2K annually for advertisement space... it doesn't take a lot of work, and can significantly improve your park situation. Not only that, but a local shop might be more willing because they will get the name recognition (i.e. branding) that comes with it. But I agree, Best seems to be more likely.

As far as permitting, it's kind of getting permits for a dock.

We always locked ours up, and you had to be a "team member" to use it. To become a team member, you had to sign a waiver. You saying "use at your own risk" will not cover you when an accident happens, and you WILL get sued.

If you are serious about setting up a park, I would recommend starting a kite club, affiliating yourself with the CGKA and any 'kiting insurance' type organizations there are (in waterskiing, it's USA waterski). I would also recommend making the club an LLC (limited liability) - about $50/2yrs, and insuring the club, and having every member be insured as well (as a requirement to join). The annual revenue from advertisements will cover almost (if not all) of these fees.

If you're not willing to do that, I would recommend chaining up the kicker and not letting people use it.

Sounds sucky, I know...but even though the majority of people are good, and would realize they screwed up and hurt themselves, there's going to be one jackass that falls on it and comes after you. It only takes one.

Protect yourself if you're letting the public have access to this thing.

tinyE

Since 21 Jan 2006
2004 Posts
not really an
XTreme Poster

PostMon Feb 26, 07 8:52 am     Reply with quote

actually, i'd like to edit the above....instead of being so negative, here's what I should have said...

don't get sponsors unless you plan on getting insurance (the sponsor would never put their name on it if it wasn't insured).

don't let random people use it if you aren't insured (and they aren't)...man... even your best friend might end up on the other side of the courtroom from you... it's not him that would be suing you, but his insurance company wouldn't think twice about it.

lance_k

Since 04 May 2005
561 Posts
Hood River
Photographer

PostMon Feb 26, 07 5:26 pm     Reply with quote

hey here's a cool way to make some money for the park... design a killer logo and sell killer shirts via one of these guys. they can make hats, wife (or husband) beaters, thongs, everything.

www.cafepress.com
or
www.spreadshirt.com

not sure what the margin you could make but they set up the website and take care of all the transactions and printing/screening.

just need a catchy logo/name and people across the world will throw their money at it. well maybe not but i'd buy in.

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostMon Feb 26, 07 8:24 pm     Reply with quote

The cafepress thing is cool for ease of setup, I did it last year. But unfortunately the quality and margins are not great. The really nice thing wth them is there is no minimum order and they handle all of the shipping/billing.

If you can commit to a 50 t-shirt order, you can get prices much lower and get higher quality screen printing. Initial investment is probably ~ $300.

dangerD

Since 27 Jun 2005
223 Posts
Bingen Heights
Stoked

PostTue Feb 27, 07 10:18 am     Reply with quote

wakeup Wakeup!
I was planning to donate, until I saw your attitude.
good luck!
Edit: Sorry, Jobe... I figured Wakeup was some Joe-pulleybar with big white moon boots on his board, but I DIDNT KNOW its You!!!! Ill still donate... Just try not to offend. Good advice: When panhandling on a chat site, let others have their opinions.

PeaceGun.jpeg 

Last edited by dangerD on Thu Mar 01, 07 8:30 am; edited 1 time in total

forrest

Since 21 Jun 2005
4329 Posts
Hood River
Hick

CGKA Member

PostTue Feb 27, 07 11:14 am     Reply with quote

dangerD wrote:
wakeup Wakeup!
good luck!

If you want to hit a really cool slider that is designed to be as safe as possible and could easily lead to your own progression, donate. If you don't, don't. It's as simple as that and not a big deal. I'm sure if it was just wakeup that wanted to hit the slider, he could just build an a-Frame for a fraction of the cost.

Sponsorship brings legitimacy and responsibility. Neither of which are ingredients in my recipe for fun, not sure about anyone else's. Lets get this thing built so when the wind starts blowing we can hit it!

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostTue Feb 27, 07 1:25 pm     Reply with quote

dangerD wrote:
wakeup Wakeup!
good luck!

I don't think that's fair... Joby is doing a lot for the local community offering his time, money, and efforts to build something fun to make HR better and more unique. All he's asking is people kick in a few bucks.

The sponsorship idea is a good one, but I can see wanting to keep the slider out of the politics of different brands/shops/competing interests.

Speaking about the donations so far, its impressive to see that even if the volume might be low, the value of each of the donations quite are large... there are definitely some people who want to see this thing built.... and after all when you think about how much you spend on gear in this sport, this donation is pretty minimal.

magicmaker

Since 29 Oct 2006
895 Posts
da Hood
Opinionated

PostTue Feb 27, 07 1:47 pm     Reply with quote

pkh wrote:
after all when you think about how much you spend on gear in this sport, this donation is pretty minimal.

never have i heard a truer statement.

forrest

Since 21 Jun 2005
4329 Posts
Hood River
Hick

CGKA Member

PostTue Feb 27, 07 1:49 pm     Reply with quote

Oh, and my used Mission 144 is here, sitting right next to me. I wanna ride this mofo so bad! Already has scratches on it from sliders from it's previous owner. I NEED a slider to hit, and in the next month or so!

I'm pitching in another $50 at the start of March.

Frogman

Since 22 Feb 2007
9 Posts
NW Portland
Kook

PostTue Feb 27, 07 2:20 pm    Blue camo Reply with quote

forest, I agree that the blue camo would look better. Great idea!

I am volunteering to paint both the kicker and the slider.
Stuff like that is right up my alley. We could have a painting party if anyone else is willing to come out and help.

However it would make more sense to paint them both together at the same time. What is the timimg on the slider being ready to be painted?

I just threw in $50 to the cause. That should help to pay for some of the paint
Razz

lance_k

Since 04 May 2005
561 Posts
Hood River
Photographer

PostTue Feb 27, 07 5:25 pm     Reply with quote

i donating all the money that ian daley owes me. Twisted Evil
i'm serious. Inept_Fun you can pay joby dood.

Inept_Fun

Since 14 Apr 2005
1417 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostTue Feb 27, 07 10:45 pm     Reply with quote

Lance did u never get that check? I can swear I put it in ur mailbox! I guess its going to jobierto now! And whoever was talking crap about jobe, seriously dude you should check ur attitude cause all he is trying to do is make the sandbar a better place!

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Frogman

Since 22 Feb 2007
9 Posts
NW Portland
Kook

PostTue Feb 27, 07 11:09 pm     Reply with quote

Here is what the blue camo looks like. Question is will we be able to see it Confused

nwKite_blue_camp_slider.jpg 

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: