Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

first Maui impression

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
honda1

Since 11 Sep 2013
183 Posts

Stoked

PostSat Sep 26, 15 8:42 pm    first Maui impression Reply with quote

I kited Maui for the first time today. It was my first time kiting the ocean of any kind. I suppose take this all with a grain of salt...I had a great time but it really didn't have any thing over the gorge. Not sure what normal swell is like typically but it wasn't any different than a good day in the gorge, in fact I have seen many times the swell at Roosevelt or Lyle as big as it was here today. I'm sure however there are many times when the swell is much bigger in Maui than the gorge. The whole wave factor wasn't even a big deal just because I kited perhaps enough, I was scared a bit but once out there it was no different than anything I have done. Like I said just my first impression but the people for me weren't very friendly. The nicest person I met, who helped me to grab the kite as I came in was ironically from hood river. People just didn't seem any where as nice or willing to help. I know I could be wrong though.
Im sure Maui is epic typically. My only point is that for me the gorge and the whole experience there is hard to beat

kwalshpc

Since 24 Oct 2014
142 Posts

Stoked

PostSun Sep 27, 15 5:39 am    Maui Reply with quote

Having kited both - a lot, the gorge in July and August is very tough to beat. Maui is a great place to kite. Are the locals super friendly and willing to jump in and help? No, but they do deal with lots of tourists for the whole year and are sick of having to respond constantly. The good part is that since there is a bit of a wind shadow on the main kite beaches - it is easy to self land, self launching is also easy when the beach is that big.

From an "on the water" perspective - unless you are riding waves, it is just chop or big swell and chop. Nobody will get too excited about that. At least the wind blows hard! Go get some legitimate waves and send an updated report - I think you will see the magic.

consumer

Since 28 Nov 2010
406 Posts
banned
Obsessed

PostSun Sep 27, 15 6:07 am     Reply with quote

the gorge is incredible. It will always be my favorite place.

About the swell - where did you kite from? There is 0 swell anywhere down by kite beach, especially in the summer. Head over to lanes (beach downwind from hookipa) for good waves. Launch is hairy, buy booties if you don't already have them.

Gman

Since 11 Feb 2006
4907 Posts
Portland
Unstrapped

PostSun Sep 27, 15 6:48 am    Re: first Maui impression Reply with quote

honda1 wrote:
I kited Maui for the first time today. It was my first time kiting the ocean of any kind.

Consumer wrote:
buy some booties and go to lanes

Cause that's how we roll on nwkite!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eu2pBpQolKE

rightguard

Since 22 Oct 2012
29 Posts
Maui

PostMon Sep 28, 15 10:00 pm     Reply with quote

You should have been out yesterday... They always say that but the waves were very fun on Sunday. Of course it's still early in the season to get great waves, and yes lanes is the best for waves but only for the experienced rider.

shane s

Since 19 Jun 2013
11 Posts
Hood

PostTue Sep 29, 15 10:41 am     Reply with quote

I went to Maui for the first time three weeks ago and had a very similar impression. First thing I did was went to kite beach set up my stuff and asked for a launch. Both the man and the woman I asked looked like a good kiters to me and I said 'I have never been here is there anything I should know'. They said no, gave no advice. So I headed down to the water like I would at most every launch in the gorge. She holds up my kite but the angle wasn't quite right so I am moving upwind a little and the woman gets frustrated and throws my kite down and yells what are you doing I can't launch you like this. I apologized and offered to launch however she wanted. So I go to the land side back into the trees where there is a wind shadow and my lines are almost touching some limbs. It was fine, but you can't bring your kite up overhead and because it wasn't a super windy that day my kite was kind of dropping out of the sky until I got out to the water. I never could figure out why they launch from the trees. I get that if something goes wrong you maybe want your kite pointed away from the trees but standing right in the trees seems just as dangerous.

It seemed crazy to me because people were just crashing there kites down on top of other kites on the beach and on top of people laying out their lines. It didn't really bother me once I realized that is how people role; I just self-launched and landed every time and I gave up trying to talk to anyone and just kited. But coming from the gorge it did surprise me. All over Maui you read about the aloha spirit there are signs posted all over about it, but there was not much love in the kiting scene.

I kind of get it. I mean I live in Hood River I get annoyed with tourists all the time, but you go to the event site and you are going to launch one or two people it is just part of the gig. The only time I have feel a little of the same vibe is when I ventured over to the marina launch to practice my slider dreams. The dudes over there aren't overly eager to help you launch or land but they will if you ask. And I kind chalk that up to a lot of those guys are 'pros' that aren't locals and just individually kind of feel like they don't need to help anyone. It is not indicative of the culture.

The actual kiting in Maui was pretty good. I don't know if I will be going back anytime soon because it wasn't that special. But there is nice flat water to throw your tricks on the way in and little wave kickers on the way out. Plenty of room. I think my progression would be quicker if I lived there just because it is set up to practice tricks. I did go to Lanes one day and I am not a good wave rider but if you can kite Manzo or the gorge waves you will feel like a pro in Maui. The waves set up nice and slow one at a time with plenty of space in between and then break nice too.

Blazeheliski

Since 30 Mar 2011
655 Posts
Mosier
Addicted

PostTue Sep 29, 15 12:47 pm     Reply with quote

First off - Maui is my favorite vacation spot. I love the weather. I love all the activities. It is just a great place to take the family.

I talked about the same thing in a thread a couple years ago - the vibe in Maui for kiting is just not the same as here in the NW. Tough to get a launch or a land. People that will basically ignore you, etc. If you really go out of your way to get "in" with a couple of the locals that are there almost every day - the vibe improves. But compared to kiting around here - it is definitely not as friendly.

Since I am usually dropped of at the beach by the family with my kite gear, I will sometimes be waiting up to an hour for my ride. I will usually bring the PNW vibe to the beach while I am waiting and I will launch and land kite after kite. I will tell people what I know about the spot if they ask me questions. We are friends to this day with a kite couple from Bend because I helped the wife get her board back when tons of kiters were ignoring her, and not helping her at all.

Maui kiting - Pros: warm water, sea turtles, nice waves, wind year round, nothing is very far.
Cons: lacking vibe, not much variety

NW kiting - Pros: great vibe and community, tons of variety (butter smooth spots - to gnarly winter coastal action - to huge river swell - to fantastic downwinders, choice of salt or fresh water, etc.) Wind mostly year round (bonus snowkiting if you can find it)
Cons - cold water, sometimes have to drive hours to get in on the action, not as much kiteable wind in the winter as Maui

rightguard

Since 22 Oct 2012
29 Posts
Maui

PostTue Sep 29, 15 6:59 pm     Reply with quote

Well hopefully you had some fun today. Waves are on the drop but there was more than enough wind today. Hopefully you got my PM and it was of some use. Aloha

1surfer

Since 20 Apr 2010
354 Posts
'Ualapu'e / High Rockies
Obsessed

PostWed Sep 30, 15 3:55 pm    Maui kite spots Reply with quote

Maui has several different places to kite. In the Kanaha area there are 4 spots that are pretty cose to each other. Kite beach, Pro pool, Naish beach and Eruo beach. All of those probably have 3 or 4 other names. They all have pros and cons. Try them all. Lanes is good. The down wind end of Baldwin above baby beach is probably my favorite. Walk up from Baby Beach and go past the baby beach rocks before you rig and then rig and launch just downwind of the next small rock outcropping. If they are fishing, give them some room. Don't sail in the shore break, go to the outside and sail. Waiehu is good also. There a a couple of spots on the west side. Shitty falls (Ironwoods ) and Windmills are actually great. Try them all. All have positive and negative aspects as do most kite areas. My family likes the Kanaha spots, I prefer Baldwin area and the west side. There is also 2 popular spots in Kihei. Some people love it and kite there most of the time. Its gets more windy a little later in the day than the north side. I do try Kihei once every year or 2 just to remind myself how much I just don't like it. Not saying its a bad spot. you may love it. Just not for me... Its super fun to put in at Lanes or Baldwin and do a downwinder to KB. Lots of waves along the way. Make sure to study the "No Kite Zone" map and make an effort to go around it. Not too hard to do. Lots of fun waves and people sailing along the way. The wave at camp one is great. kites and wind surfers seem to get along there.

jackZ

Since 13 Apr 2008
355 Posts
Devon Alberta ca.
Obsessed

PostWed Sep 30, 15 7:06 pm     Reply with quote

Very Happy
Maui is awesome .
Good times and good people . First time there I introduced myself to several people . I felt good right away . Ok Jack this is how it is here .... Did a lanes to KB , ton of excitement as it was my first , WOW those are Waves ! Learned strapless surfboard riding ! Tears of joy , and fear for this prairie boy . Lots of stoke from the crowd there . Yes after spending a month , we'll people are people eh ! Super good overall and been back since .
The gorge is ........ a lot of words and they're all good ! I have been to your area several times . I prefer early , like the end of April before the crowds and the waters no colder than here in AB so . The places along the Columbia. The coastal spots . Wow , the scenery and the choices , so kool !
This is one day at the grassy knoll in Hood River . I park near the grass and unload my gear . I get rigged and ready . No one says anything to me really other than a nod . Oh thats no biggie because I'm older than them and they don't know me . I get launched fine and off to the far side swells and BIG fun . The rest of that small group was there shortly after . I came back to land as I was getting tired but near the event site I turned back for more ! Ha I see one of the others doing the same . Ok after we did come in I was given the High Five by them boys and asked to come play frisbee golf and have a beverage , wow that was so nice as I was alone camping at Viento . Super good day .
I met many awesome kiters and super friendly people in Hood river and area , over time .
Now I'm on a kite Alaska trip last April and again solo . I meet up with the group and it ends up I'm kinda hooked up with two other guys and they are like Hey dude , hang out with us . Thanks and we rode some good lines at Allyeska out of Anchorage on a non wind day . they were from Hood River ! Now this is so kool as I said I always feel good visiting and now to meet these two and receive a welcoming feeling was just super .
Yes Hood River Rocks , your awesome . Thank you all ! I ended up flying on a cessna with those two and landed on a glacier to kite with them ! WOW !
Oh it's such a sport and such a super stoked crowd ..... if you really think about it , ya had to have had an off day yourself to feel Maui wasn't as nice it's just different .
Oh and I turned 58 this Aug , those guys were a lot younger than I and thats what makes it even more special .
Kite On
JackZ

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: