Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Bar pressure question: Rally/RPM/Wave
Page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
boardrider

Since 05 Apr 2006
1034 Posts
Ventura, CA
XTreme Poster

PostTue Aug 18, 15 11:30 am    Re: SS Bar Pressure VS Ergonomics Reply with quote

Kmun wrote:

An interesting mixed 3 kite quiver could be:
1. Smallest kite: 6m Rally (either 2012, or 2016) for nuking gorge days & upwind ability's.
2. Middle sized kite: a 9m SS SST for maximum drift at the coast. On paper this is a 3m jump but actually less than 3m in true power delivery.
3. Largest size kite:12m RPM for the coast where greatest agility and swift power delivery overrides a large SST with its' slower turn and least up wind ability..
Any one out there agree with adding that big RPM into the mix? Or..feel the size jumps are not rational?

I was thinking the same. I really like the range and stability of the Rally - it is a nice kite, but it does not drift well - So I was thinking the SST for my light wind (coast) kite.

Ive not had a problem with either '14 or '15 Rally bar pressure, but I ride smaller kites. If sheeted properly, the smaller sizes have light bar pressure (just right , IMO).

Anyone have a lightly used (or new) 10m SST they want to sell ?

Windance Crew

Since 18 Apr 2008
473 Posts
Hood River Kite Shop
Obsessed

PostTue Aug 18, 15 11:33 am     Reply with quote

According to Jeff Trauba, the new Slingshot rep for the NW, bar pressure on the Slingshot kites ranks as follows from heaviest to lightest is: RPM- Wave- Rally

Dave

toddjb

Since 16 Oct 2007
271 Posts
MD
Obsessed

PostTue Aug 18, 15 12:51 pm     Reply with quote

Windance Crew wrote:
According to Jeff Trauba, the new Slingshot rep for the NW, bar pressure on the Slingshot kites ranks as follows from heaviest to lightest is: RPM- Wave- Rally

That seems backwards. Shocked I've always found the RPM to be lighter than the Rally.
I'm not sure where the Wave fits in there as I don't have much time on it, but limited exposure is proving that it's just right!
Thumb's Up

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2060 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostTue Aug 18, 15 1:27 pm     Reply with quote

Windance Crew wrote:

Dave

Can someone please chime in?

What is meant by "bar pressure?"

How much effort it takes to pull in (sheet in) the bar?

How much pressure/effort it takes to turn the kite with the bar?

Both?

Jonpnw

Since 22 Jul 2010
1323 Posts
Pacific Northwest
XTreme Poster

PostTue Aug 18, 15 1:33 pm    Me Likey Reply with quote

Bar pressure means you've got wind .

Ride Lit

Join the Columbia Gorge Water Sports Association. http://gorgewindsurfing.org/

toddjb

Since 16 Oct 2007
271 Posts
MD
Obsessed

PostWed Aug 19, 15 6:23 am     Reply with quote

Sasquatch wrote:
Can someone please chime in?

What is meant by "bar pressure?"
How much effort it takes to pull in (sheet in) the bar?
How much pressure/effort it takes to turn the kite with the bar?
Both?

All of the above. When you are well powered on a kite, how much pressure does it take to hold the bar where you want it and additionally, to turn the kite. Is the kite taking the bar from you with a lot of force, for instance. It might be balanced right where you want it and may not.

Some kites, like the 2011/2012 Rally, for instance, are extremely light at the bar. You wouldn't feel the "grunt" of the kite pulling back at you and it required very little effort to pull in one side of the bar and turn the kite. Kiters got used to a subtle feel at the bar and trusted the kite had power to jump or go upwind, even when someone unfamiliar with the kite would seem underpowered. It was cool. The kite was also very easy to fly & turn one handed.

Now the 2013-2016 Rallys are different. You can feel the power in the kite at the bar. I don't think it is in any way a distraction from the kite experience, other than maybe on the 12M and 14M when it can get heavy. The 10 and below feels perfect! (I haven't ridden the 11). So, you'll feel this kite take the bar from you when powered, you will pull in a side of the bar harder to get the kite to turn. The thing is, as soon as you put the kite in the air you know if you have enough power to jump. You can feel it. I love it.

patdaniels

Since 29 Jul 2015
91 Posts
Seattle area

PostWed Aug 19, 15 6:55 am     Reply with quote

I've flown and own(ed) 2012 - 2016 Rallys, RPMs in various sizes and now have Wave SSTs as well. In my view, bar pressure differences have been fairly subtle year to year for Rallys to the extent that it feels like a Rally, not a different kite. 2016 Rally feels like lighter bar pressure and faster turning than last couple years Rallys.

Between RPM, WaveSST, and Rally; the RPM feels to me as having the most bar pressure. Still getting to know the Wave SST, but so far feels like it's in the middle of RPM and Rally, Rally the lightest bar pressure of the three. Kind of makes sense when you look at the design of each kite, beefier wingtip on RPM, Wave SST in the middle, Rally most streamlined wingtip.

Cheers

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1472 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostWed Aug 19, 15 8:59 am    Re: SS Bar Pressure VS Ergonomics Reply with quote

Kmun wrote:

An interesting mixed 3 kite quiver could be:
1. Smallest kite: 6m Rally (either 2012, or 2016) for nuking gorge days & upwind ability's.
2. Middle sized kite: a 9m SS SST for maximum drift at the coast. On paper this is a 3m jump but actually less than 3m in true power delivery.
3. Largest size kite:12m RPM for the coast where greatest agility and swift power delivery overrides a large SST with its' slower turn and least up wind ability..
Any one out there agree with adding that big RPM into the mix? Or..feel the size jumps are not rational?

I flew Rally's and RPM's for 5 years in the waves at the Oregon Coast, Baja, Cali, and Maui.
The RPM is a great kite with one exception - the larger sizes (10, 12, 14) don't function well when underpowered. I would not consider the larger RPMs as an option when kiting in waves.
From my experience and from what I've been hearing - the WAVE SST does everything you described above..... and better.
Except you'd have to do a 4 kite quiver as the SST is only available in 6, 8, 10, 12.

Windance Crew

Since 18 Apr 2008
473 Posts
Hood River Kite Shop
Obsessed

PostWed Aug 19, 15 1:42 pm     Reply with quote

I heard that eventually the new Wave SST will be coming in some odd numbered sizes too

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: