Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Bar pressure question: Rally/RPM/Wave
Page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
voy-tech

Since 08 Apr 2014
372 Posts
Seattle
Obsessed

CGKA Member

PostMon Aug 17, 15 10:06 am    Bar pressure question: Rally/RPM/Wave Reply with quote

Hi, do you know which of the current Slingshot kites has the lowest bar pressure?
My elbows are killing me after I was overpowered on my 2014 Rally (12m) yesterday and I wonder if other models might be easier on my elbows (I have the Rally set to the lowest bar pressure setting already).

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2053 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostMon Aug 17, 15 10:47 am    Haven't tried PDXMB's advice yet? ;-) Reply with quote

pdxmonkeyboy wrote:
Try masturbating with your thumb down. May cause minor chaffing, but it should help. A top physical therapist who used to kite and post here (kiteme) gave me this tip, works wonders

http://www.nwkite.com/forums/t-36276.html&highlight=

voy-tech

Since 08 Apr 2014
372 Posts
Seattle
Obsessed

CGKA Member

PostMon Aug 17, 15 11:12 am    Re: Haven't tried PDXMB's advice yet? ;-) Reply with quote

Sasquatch wrote:
pdxmonkeyboy wrote:
Try masturbating with your thumb down. May cause minor chaffing, but it should help. A top physical therapist who used to kite and post here (kiteme) gave me this tip, works wonders

http://www.nwkite.com/forums/t-36276.html&highlight=

Not exactly the answer I was looking for but thanks anyway Razz

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2053 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostMon Aug 17, 15 11:27 am    Just having fun. Reply with quote

How often do you kite? I suspect that the problem is pumping your . . . Do you use a lot of arms when pumping? Try keeping your arms straight when pumping and using your legs and back only.

They used to make a high pressure batt op'ed pump that was like about $100 or so. . . a bit over.

voy-tech

Since 08 Apr 2014
372 Posts
Seattle
Obsessed

CGKA Member

PostMon Aug 17, 15 11:30 am    Re: Just having fun. Reply with quote

Sasquatch wrote:
How often do you kite? I suspect that the problem is pumping your . . . Do you use a lot of arms when pumping? Try keeping your arms straight when pumping and using your legs and back only.

They used to make a high pressure batt op'ed pump that was like about $100 or so. . . a bit over.

Weekends at HR + some weekday evenings at Sauvie when work/wind permits.

Pumping is not the problem it's more of the pull from the bar at higher winds + wind chill.

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2053 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostMon Aug 17, 15 11:37 am    Re: Just having fun. Reply with quote

voy-tech wrote:
Sasquatch wrote:

Weekends at HR + some weekday evenings at Sauvie when work/wind permits.

Pumping is not the problem it's more of the pull from the bar at higher winds + wind chill.

It is your body, but I think you traumatize your elbows first and then the kiting/pull from the kite aggravates the pain/tendinitis/bursitis.

I still would try pumping a different way and or next time you go kiting try to get someone else to pump up your kite for you (barter some cold beers or photo services). Process on elimination. . .

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1470 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostMon Aug 17, 15 2:29 pm     Reply with quote

meanwhile - back on topic.
Wave SST has the lightest bar pressure.
the largest Wave SST available is a 12m which would have about as much power as a 2014 Rally 10m.

knotwindy

Since 25 Sep 2011
598 Posts

Addicted

PostMon Aug 17, 15 6:07 pm     Reply with quote

the new 2016 Rally's on the back settings are very light also. Much lighter than the 2014. Got to try them and see which is best for you.

voy-tech

Since 08 Apr 2014
372 Posts
Seattle
Obsessed

CGKA Member

PostTue Aug 18, 15 7:26 am     Reply with quote

Thanks - looks like I'll need to demo the new Rally and the Wave Smile

Kmun

Since 05 Jul 2009
250 Posts

Obsessed

PostTue Aug 18, 15 9:09 am    SS Bar Pressure VS Ergonomics Reply with quote

Greater bar pressure is only one factor to soft tissue strain issues.

Ergonomics play a huge role.
Lower your arms by lowering the hook (seat harness).
Use a sliding hook.
Translate bar pressure to shoulders/scapula then forward through front foot.
Upper back in extension (leaning to the rear).
Shoulders back arm(s) straight as possible.
Grip: One handed (centered) as much as possible w/extended elbows.

2014 Bar Pressure:
Agree: I owned a 2014 Rally for two sessions then switched back to my 2012 Rallys due to much lower bar pressure and greater kite agility. The 2012's easily turn one handed. I will get 2016 Rally's if they can equal the 2012's.

SST's are said to be one meter smaller in relative power delivery than the Rally's. (2016 9m SST = 2016 8m Rally).
Can someone confirm this?

An interesting mixed 3 kite quiver could be:
1. Smallest kite: 6m Rally (either 2012, or 2016) for nuking gorge days & upwind ability's.
2. Middle sized kite: a 9m SS SST for maximum drift at the coast. On paper this is a 3m jump but actually less than 3m in true power delivery.
3. Largest size kite:12m RPM for the coast where greatest agility and swift power delivery overrides a large SST with its' slower turn and least up wind ability..
Any one out there agree with adding that big RPM into the mix? Or..feel the size jumps are not rational?

Last edited by Kmun on Tue Aug 18, 15 1:18 pm; edited 1 time in total

jerp

Since 22 Feb 2013
450 Posts

Obsessed

PostTue Aug 18, 15 9:39 am     Reply with quote

Kmun makes a great point on grip making a difference. I never knew what heavy bar pressure was until I moved to RPMs. To be clear not bashing RPMs, I love these kites in every way and I’m assuming its many qualities come from the higher pressure.

After about an hour or so when I start to tire I’ve found one handed grip to work best for dealing with the pressure but with my grip reversed (palms facing up).

voy-tech

Since 08 Apr 2014
372 Posts
Seattle
Obsessed

CGKA Member

PostTue Aug 18, 15 9:44 am     Reply with quote

jerp wrote:
Kmun makes a great point on grip making a difference. I never knew what heavy bar pressure was until I moved to RPMs. To be clear not bashing RPMs, I love these kites in every way and I’m assuming its many qualities come from the higher pressure.

After about an hour or so when I start to tire I’ve found one handed grip to work best for dealing with the pressure but with my grip reversed (palms facing up).

I do that as well, switch to the reversed grip on back hand and that helps a little on longer tacks.

jerp

Since 22 Feb 2013
450 Posts

Obsessed

PostTue Aug 18, 15 10:20 am     Reply with quote

I wonder if moving to a more efficient board would help you as you could ride a smaller kite for given wind speed. Maybe a bigger SS misfit or a airush switch. I just bought a 145 best breeze for riding SI, you can give it a try if you like.

toddjb

Since 16 Oct 2007
271 Posts
MD
Obsessed

PostTue Aug 18, 15 11:17 am    Re: Bar pressure question: Rally/RPM/Wave Reply with quote

voy-tech wrote:
Hi, do you know which of the current Slingshot kites has the lowest bar pressure?
My elbows are killing me after I was overpowered on my 2014 Rally (12m) yesterday and I wonder if other models might be easier on my elbows (I have the Rally set to the lowest bar pressure setting already).

Yes, an overpowered 12M Rally has some pull! Sounds like you should have rigged your 9. Smile Look to the Wave or the RPM for sure. Either one will be noticeably better for you. I love the way the RPMs feel at the bar. I like the Wave also, but have limited time on it.

The bar pressure on my 9M Rally (and smaller) doesn't bother me, but I find the 12M can get heavy depending on the conditions. It's particularly troublesome in the winter when I'm wearing gloves. The extra bar pressure against thick neoprene cuts off circulation and makes for cold hands. I guess these days, winter is the only time it bothers me. I've grown to really like the feel of the Rallys.

knotwindy wrote:
the new 2016 Rally's on the back settings are very light also. Much lighter than the 2014. Got to try them and see which is best for you.

You are drinking the koolaid. Wink

Last edited by toddjb on Tue Aug 18, 15 11:29 am; edited 1 time in total

voy-tech

Since 08 Apr 2014
372 Posts
Seattle
Obsessed

CGKA Member

PostTue Aug 18, 15 11:21 am    Re: Bar pressure question: Rally/RPM/Wave Reply with quote

toddjb wrote:
voy-tech wrote:

Yes, an overpowered 12M Rally has some pull! Sounds like you should have rigged your 9. Smile Look to the Wave or the RPM for sure. Either one will be noticeably better for you. I love the way the RPMs feel at the bar.

The bar pressure on my 9M Rally (and smaller) doesn't bother me, but I find the 12M can get heavy depending on the conditions. It's particularly troublesome in the winter when I'm wearing gloves. The extra bar pressure against thick neoprene cuts off circulation and makes for cold hands. I guess these days, winter is the only time it bothers me. I've grown to really like the feel of the Rallys.

knotwindy wrote:

You are drinking the koolaid. Wink

I had my 10m Bandit (no issues with bar pressure) and the 12m Rally packed in the car, and then I thought - wait a minute I'm going to Sauvie, I'll swap the 10m for 17m. Got to Sauvie and it was definitely 9/10m wind, but I'm not going to get skunked due to too strong wind at Sauvie so I rigged the 12m, pulled full depower and had some fun mixed with pain.
One more time mother nature showed me that the kite you intentionally leave home is the one you'll be needing the most.

Kmun

Since 05 Jul 2009
250 Posts

Obsessed

PostTue Aug 18, 15 11:25 am    Questioning my theory... Reply with quote

voy-tech wrote:
jerp wrote:

I do that as well, switch to the reversed grip on back hand and that helps a little on longer tacks.

It seems your saying the RPM's have a high if not the greatest bar pressure. I have not flown them yet. Humm, Heavy bar pressure forces a significant posture adjustment that promotes a strength response instead of body that is loose, compliant and agile. If the RPM has high bar pressure I'm less optimistic of doing that creative three different model three kite quiver.

I agree; A more efficient board paired with smaller kite is an excellent suggestion. I ride efficient Fish shaped directional surf shapes that allow me to ride one kite size smaller than most people my body weight.

voy-tech

Since 08 Apr 2014
372 Posts
Seattle
Obsessed

CGKA Member

PostTue Aug 18, 15 11:27 am    Re: Questioning my theory... Reply with quote

Kmun wrote:
I agree; A more efficient board paired with smaller kite is an excellent suggestion. I ride efficient Fish shaped directional surf shapes that allow me to ride one kite size smaller than most people my body weight.

I'm thinking about getting a directional for next season - I wonder how the new Cabrinha Double Agent will work without the foil.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: