Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

tips for north coast?
Page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
markamcclure

Since 20 May 2011
164 Posts
Portland, OR
Stoked

PostSat Aug 15, 15 11:31 am    tips for north coast? Reply with quote

I am planning on kiting the north coast for the first time Sunday. My level is probably intermediate (I ride a surfboard and can do heelside/toeside pretty decently, but switching my feet only works about half the time for me). This site recommends Sunset Beach and says you can usually hitch a ride back from downwinders. I am on my own and this will be my first time kiting on the north coast. Tips? Is Sunset a good call? Anyone else heading that way? Thanks!

Occupied Columbia

Since 12 Nov 2011
376 Posts
Columbia City
Obsessed

PostSat Aug 15, 15 11:50 am     Reply with quote

There will be a few of us out there tomorrow. Great spot for downwinders. We'll be starting at Shipwreck around 2 o'clock going to Sunset Beach. I believe it's an 8 mile downwinder.

boardrider

Since 05 Apr 2006
1034 Posts
Ventura, CA
XTreme Poster

PostSat Aug 15, 15 5:28 pm     Reply with quote

Sunday could be a great day for your first at the coast. Lightish wind and small waves. Only problem could be wind may be too light, but I am no coastal forecasting guru.

Shipwreck - Sunset is a good option for downwinders, or lot B to shipwreck which is shorter. N coast is a good bet for your first go, but it would be good to ride w/ some buddies for support if needed.

Last edited by boardrider on Sat Aug 15, 15 5:34 pm; edited 2 times in total

cdub25

Since 04 Jun 2015
68 Posts
Portland/Lyle

PostSat Aug 15, 15 5:28 pm     Reply with quote

I might join you guys at shipwreck tomorrow as long as there is wind!

boardrider

Since 05 Apr 2006
1034 Posts
Ventura, CA
XTreme Poster

PostSat Aug 15, 15 5:31 pm     Reply with quote

Any tips from the coast regulars as to wind sensors ?

Seems clatsop spit sensor usually reads a bit lighter than Astoria sensor. Is this true to actual observed wind speeds, or ?

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1470 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostSat Aug 15, 15 5:56 pm    Re: tips for north coast? Reply with quote

markamcclure wrote:
I am planning on kiting the north coast for the first time Sunday. My level is probably intermediate (I ride a surfboard and can do heelside/toeside pretty decently, but switching my feet only works about half the time for me). This site recommends Sunset Beach and says you can usually hitch a ride back from downwinders. I am on my own and this will be my first time kiting on the north coast. Tips? Is Sunset a good call? Anyone else heading that way? Thanks!

Is this your first time in the ocean with waves... or your first time at the North Oregon coast?
If it's your first time in the waves - maybe shipwreck to sunset is not the best option for your first session. If you have issues, and most first timers do.... there's no easy way to bail and get a ride back to Shipwreck.
The downwinder from Lot B to Shipwreck is shorter and it's easy to self rescue into the sandy beach and walk up or down to the launches.
The beauty of a downwinder is that you don;t need to jibe (switch your feet).
Alternatively - you can sail out front at Lot B and learn proper technique for getting out and over the waves so you can sail elsewhere on the coast. Most beaches on the Oregon coast you'll be launching and staying put - downwinders are not always an option.
Lastly - whichever option you choose, you won't be launching at Sunset. You need to go to Ft. Stevens state park and go to Shipwreck beach or the north end of Lot B (signs will say Area B).

The link you clicked that recommended Sunset is at least 10 years old and nobody launches at Sunset (at least nobody I know of).
The "SPOTS" page needs to be updated.

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2053 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostSat Aug 15, 15 8:43 pm     Reply with quote

Forecast ate some "grill & chill" DQ soft serve ice cream and cooled down. The Northern Strip doesn't appear strong enough now.

However, the forecast is perfect for Manzo! I love predicted winds 10-15 w/gusts to 20!

I'd head there if you're looking for a session.

http://marine.weather.gov/MapClick.php?minlon=-125&maxlon=-120.8&minlat=43.39&maxlat=46.91&mapwidth=354&site=pqr&zmx=1&zmy=1&map.x=120&map.y=103#.VdAT0TiFNYc

Sun

N wind 5 to 10 kt...rising to 10 to 15 kt in the afternoon. Gusts to 20 kt. Wind waves N 2 ft at 5 seconds. NW swell 4 ft at 7 seconds.

Sun Night

N wind 10 to 15 kt with gusts to 20 kt. Wind waves N 4 ft at 5 seconds. W swell 2 ft at 12 seconds...building to 4 ft at 12 seconds after midnight.

[quote="ldhr"]

markamcclure wrote:

The link you clicked that recommended Sunset is at least 10 years old and nobody launches at Sunset (at least nobody I know of).
The "SPOTS" page needs to be updated.

The link is just fine (that shit takes work). You are incorrect btw. I'd say 85% or more downwinders are done from lot b to shipwreck. Some like to make it an 8 miler and go to Sunset.

But there are those that ride sunset to Seaside when it is filled in. Much easier logistics with cars and access. The key is leaving from Northern Seaside and being able to ascertain the wind strength at the finish for the dw'er. Nothing like doing a 7 mile dw'er and ending up in a bay full of butter and kind breaking waves. and walking to a friends beach house where there is a hot shower outside, cold beer, and some others treats! Thx u WS, BF, and BB!

It doesn't happen too often, but it does occur.

And a even more rare event is doing Lot b to Seaside (17 plus miles). I've only done it twice, but getting the upwind car is a pain. I'd rather do two lot b to sunset runs(easier on everything and everybody).

The other thing to note is after the shipwreck, the wave quality does suffer in quality, until the Necanicum river mouth.

Last edited by Sasquatch on Sat Aug 15, 15 9:01 pm; edited 1 time in total

Occupied Columbia

Since 12 Nov 2011
376 Posts
Columbia City
Obsessed

PostSat Aug 15, 15 9:36 pm     Reply with quote

If I guarantee it'll be good it's gonna flop. So I'll say 95% it'll be OK!FWIW... I'm pretty sure I've kited between sunset and shipwreck 100 or more times in the last five years. Maybe I've been skunked 2-3 times.

markamcclure

Since 20 May 2011
164 Posts
Portland, OR
Stoked

PostSun Aug 16, 15 6:53 am     Reply with quote

Thanks for all the info! I looked at the forecast this am and it looked good, although I am not sure if it applies to north coast or just Manzanita.

NWS Forecast
Today
N wind 5 to 10 kt with gusts to 15 kt...rising to 20 to 25 kt in the afternoon. Wind waves N 3 ft at 5 seconds. NW swell 4 ft at 8 seconds...becoming W 2 ft at 13 seconds.
Tonight
N wind 20 to 25 kt...easing to 15 to 20 kt after midnight. Wind waves N 5 ft at 6 seconds. W swell 2 ft at 12 seconds.

Based on replies, I think I will scope out spots on my way up the coast (Del Ray, Sunset, Shipwreck and Lot B. Its my first time in real ocean waves so an 8 mile downwinder (Shipwreck-Sunset) may be be questionable. I like the idea of Lot B or Shipwreck and just kiting at the spot to figure out waves. If I go downwind some then I will probably just walk back at the end of the session.

I know there can be a strong outgoing current near Ft. Stevens channel. Are you protected from the current at Lot B site? Maybe I will see some others out there today?
-Mark

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2053 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostSun Aug 16, 15 7:24 am    forecast ramped up again, lot b looks good. Reply with quote

markamcclure wrote:
Thanks for all the info! I looked at the forecast this am and it looked good, although I am not sure if it applies to north coast or just Manzanita.

NWS Forecast
Today
N wind 5 to 10 kt with gusts to 15 kt...rising to 20 to 25 kt in the afternoon. Wind waves N 3 ft at 5 seconds. NW swell 4 ft at 8 seconds...becoming W 2 ft at 13 seconds.
Tonight
N wind 20 to 25 kt...easing to 15 to 20 kt after midnight. Wind waves N 5 ft at 6 seconds. W swell 2 ft at 12 seconds.

Based on replies, I think I will scope out spots on my way up the coast (Del Ray, Sunset, Shipwreck and Lot B. Its my first time in real ocean waves so an 8 mile downwinder (Shipwreck-Sunset) may be be questionable. I like the idea of Lot B or Shipwreck and just kiting at the spot to figure out waves. If I go downwind some then I will probably just walk back at the end of the session.

I know there can be a strong outgoing current near Ft. Stevens channel. Are you protected from the current at Lot B site? Maybe I will see some others out there today?
-Mark

Yes, there can be lots of current at lot b. It just depends. If you find a sandbar, then there will be a pool and of course an exiting rip tide.

The forecast ramped up again and looks good for Lot B. The only problem with the Northern Strip is that the wind often materializes mid to late afternoon/early evening. If you want stronger wind, and to sail earlier in the day go to Manzanita.

Perfect day for hitting the ocean the first time as the waves are extremely small.

And a walk downwind or upwind to a car if you have a breakdown or can't handle it is just fine. It builds character! That is why it is nice not to have too long of a downwinder if this occurs. And another reason why everyone in the downwinder knows where the hidden key to the cars are.

Have fun and good winds to ya!

stringy

Since 23 Jun 2006
1724 Posts
vancouver
XTreme Poster

PostSun Aug 16, 15 8:05 am     Reply with quote

lot b you'll have plenty of kiters to help support you from launch to board retrieval to landing!
should be able to find a ride back up pretty easily as all kiters like to share the stoke and help others out
see you out there this afternoon

cdub25

Since 04 Jun 2015
68 Posts
Portland/Lyle

PostSun Aug 16, 15 8:42 am     Reply with quote

What time is everyone thinking of heading to lot B? I'm salmon fishing right now on the Columbia in lot C and the wind is blowing around 15kts already.

Shef

Since 22 Oct 2014
62 Posts

PostSun Aug 16, 15 11:43 am     Reply with quote

cdub25 wrote:
What time is everyone thinking of heading to lot B? I'm salmon fishing right now on the Columbia in lot C and the wind is blowing around 15kts already.

I'm leaving in 15, so will be there round 3. No downwinder for me, just gonna mess around out front cuz I'm on a TT anyway.

Matt V

Since 26 Oct 2014
462 Posts
Summer- OR Coast, Winter - My van near good snow
Explosive Diarrhea

PostSun Aug 16, 15 12:06 pm     Reply with quote

Lot B has the best (highest). Typically as you go down to shipwreck or further, it gets a kite size bigger. Hucking it upwind is best at Lot B. Here now in the parking lot and my chair just got blown over and there is no way to catch any piece of trash caught in the wind. I am thinking 7.5m for me so 9 could be the call for all right now.
Debating whether to take the 5.5m or not. I am sure the mess of Manzo is going to be 5m today.

Lunch time then kite for me.

Update:

Nice to meet you Mark! Good day to get a workout. At 225lbs, I stayed out on my 7.5m Kahoona all day (some were left out there at 6pm-ish when I left) but others were walking upwind on the beach with 13m kites. Ft. Stevens is like that. If you find it hard to get upwind with the board you use and the skill level you are at, definitely get in on a downwinder. Not my cup of tea, but your wave skills will get honed. Looks good tomorrow. Just call work and say you caught the Flew (at Ft. Stevens).

Last edited by Matt V on Sun Aug 16, 15 7:38 pm; edited 1 time in total

jeremy

Since 18 Aug 2006
273 Posts
Manzo & HR
Obsessed

PostSun Aug 16, 15 7:25 pm    manzo Reply with quote

Manzanita ramped up, at 1pm kiters were on 9m and 10m kites, next shift was 7m and 8m kites, and by 4pm it was solid 6m with a few 5m kites on water.

I got in enough jumps today to crack the top of my board. The top and bottom mostly delaminated, it's had a good life (about 300 days on the water) !!

Matt V

Since 26 Oct 2014
462 Posts
Summer- OR Coast, Winter - My van near good snow
Explosive Diarrhea

PostSun Aug 16, 15 7:34 pm     Reply with quote

That board has had a good life. And I could use another sleeping pad for my van. Ride it another few days on a 5m and then donate it to me? I have been trying to get a LF Kitefish to soften up enough to sleep with for 4 years. And they are all still hard as a rock. And weight as much.

I knew Manzo would get Crazy with Ft. Stevens being so good. Tomorrow looks too north for me at Manzo so I am sticking up here.

PostMon Aug 17, 15 9:51 am     Reply with quote

Here is a good tip for the north coast. If you don't like to point sail. figure out how you are going to get back to Lot B before you launch you kite. Head to shipwreck before hand so you can participate in dropping a car for shuttles. Take your turn in loading a bunch of wet sandy gear and kiters in your vehicle.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: