Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Foil-curious
Page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Wind Slither

Since 04 Mar 2005
2570 Posts
The 503
METAL

PostTue Aug 11, 15 6:42 pm    Foil-curious Reply with quote

Like a lot of us that have been at it a while, I'm always interested in new ways to keep kiting fresh. I've tried a foil board a couple times with limited success, but when I did get it going, the smooth quiet ride was cool.

It seems to me like an awesome light wind tool to just get out and cruise. And a breakthrough for racing and going upwind. And to keep you going in Gorge chop when your knees are shot.

But my biggest love of kiting is riding waves, and if I have to flat water kite, I just like to boost. The foil doesn't seem like a great tool for waves or boosting...either on the fun factor or the safety factor.

Am I wrong?

user124

Since 02 Aug 2012
390 Posts
Portland
Obsessed

PostTue Aug 11, 15 7:30 pm    Foil Reply with quote

I haven't been at this as long as you have, but I agree with a lot of what you say. I love wave kiting but adding a foil to the mix seems like it would take away what I really enjoy about the ocean, which is riding the waves with a surfboard. Also, at my level I already find the ocean plenty challenging without trying to add a foil board to the mix. I can see some flatwater situation where it might be fun - such a long distance cruising or lightwind riding. But at least in the gorge the wind is usually strong enough for boosting and the wind is not consistent enough for any significant stretch of the river to make long distance cruising much more than a novelty (I just enjoyed reading the blowout stories).

Also, maybe it's just me but I just don't see the appeal to jumping on a foil board. Seeing that long, dangling strut and foil hanging below the board does not make for a clean/cool look like with a twin tip.

Who knows though, since I've never foiled I haven't experienced the magic of gliding silently across the water - perhaps I will be convinced someday.

dcfordo

Since 19 May 2011
60 Posts
The Dalles

PostWed Aug 12, 15 6:09 am    Do it Reply with quote

I have only been foiling for about two months, but I'm getting a pretty good feel for the pluses and minuses. Bottom line is that it definitely is worth it!

First off, boosting does look awkward to others, but it feels great. The speed you can go in light wind, plus the trampoline like boost you get from angling the foil up, allow for really fun floaty boosts that I prefer to TT jumping.

Getting started was frustrating and, even more problematic, scary. If I hadn't spent a bunch of money on the thing, I would have given up because I was sure I was going to hurt myself. Fortunately that stage doesn't last forever and the foil disasters just seem to quit happening.

I don't think it will ever be as fun as a good surfboard day in nice waves or swell, but it has made all other days fun again. The feel is amazing, and a whole host of new moves are available. I just started making upwind heel to toeside transitions and carving 360s which are nearly impossible on ordinary boards. It feels like magic.

Last edited by dcfordo on Wed Aug 12, 15 7:41 am; edited 1 time in total

Gman

Since 11 Feb 2006
4907 Posts
Portland
Unstrapped

PostWed Aug 12, 15 7:36 am     Reply with quote

Your experience may vary...

boost.jpg 

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eu2pBpQolKE

dwaynej

Since 09 Sep 2013
207 Posts

Stoked

CGKA Member

PostWed Aug 12, 15 7:54 am     Reply with quote

Cant see myself going back to Surfboard or Twintip in the near term. So much to learn both in terms of basic skills (tacking and jibing), light wind, and swells/ocean so a plan to just keep putting in the hours until all my skills have been mastered. With a foil board, I can carve a flat ocean so certainly don't feel like I am missing out.

Sella

Since 21 Apr 2007
1794 Posts
Doin' The Dalles
FLY'IN HIGH PIE GUY

PostWed Aug 12, 15 10:21 am     Reply with quote

Slither...I too love the feel of the slash and dash boosting party too much to let the silent smoothness of the foil soul take over completely. I ride with foilers who are amazing strapless riders but who have basically left their board quiver at home as they now incessantly fuss over foil shims etc.

I've never cared about how fast I get upwind but for light wind butter, which the gorge delivers, it's definitely an appealing option. For the Coast, my skills need a lot of work as it is with my kooky old boards before I tangle with a Ginsu knife off shore.

One interesting tid bit is once a hardcore foiler goes back to their board......any condition feels like chop to them....from what they tell me. Laughing

user124

Since 02 Aug 2012
390 Posts
Portland
Obsessed

PostWed Aug 12, 15 11:39 am     Reply with quote

Gman wrote:
Your experience may vary...

It obviously takes some serious skill to jump any board that high, especially a foil board. No criticism there. But I just can't get over the aesthetic of jumping a foil board. It just looks strange, and reminds me of someone out boosting with their mom's ironing board:

Maybe I'm too into aesthetic - I freely admit I'm a board-shorts-over-wetsuit kind of guy.

stringy

Since 23 Jun 2006
1724 Posts
vancouver
XTreme Poster

PostThu Aug 13, 15 6:12 am     Reply with quote

not necessarily a light wind tool. I've had plenty of days on my 5m riding swell.
when I first started foiling I was pretty nervous. everything was like this image. now its like riding a "normal" board.
http://www.nwkite.com/forums/t-34613.html
stupid fun to cruise up and down wind last night was fun to point upwind with the moths in stevenson. awesome to see fisher pick it up so quick last night

blancoh2o

Since 15 Mar 2005
1153 Posts
Oregon
Phishy

PostThu Aug 13, 15 10:13 am     Reply with quote

stringy wrote:
not necessarily a light wind tool. I've had plenty of days on my 5m riding swell.
when I first started foiling I was pretty nervous. everything was like this image. now its like riding a "normal" board.
http://www.nwkite.com/forums/t-34613.html
stupid fun to cruise up and down wind last night was fun to point upwind with the moths in stevenson. awesome to see fisher pick it up so quick last night

After over analyzing the foil scene for the past year and talking to a lot of people I finally got my feet into the straps and got fairly comfortable cruising around on the short bus version of the StringyFoil. If you are interested in trying to foil, talk to Joe and see if you can try out the short bus he has. It was pretty forgiving and the falls were pretty mellow.

https://kb4c.rallyup.com/kb4c/286ef9/Member

wylieflyote

Since 30 Jun 2006
1634 Posts
Puget Sound & Wa. Coast
XTreme Poster

PostFri Aug 14, 15 4:55 am     Reply with quote

Since about 1989 my family and I have been spending our winters in a beach town on the mainland of Mexico. On the first day I was there 25 years ago I said to myself "Cool, maybe I can windsurf here!" Never happened, wind too light, gear too heavy. Then kiting arrived and it was always: A Glide and taxi fare since the consistent daily wind is too light. 7 or 8 reaches and I'm self-landing and looking for a bus.
Now, finally after so many years I will be blessed with daily ripping kite sessions.
It is a game changer, and truly amazing just how jazzed I feel after out blasting in 10 to 12mph winds.

fredf

Since 10 Jan 2009
80 Posts
Eugene. Or

PostFri Aug 14, 15 10:53 am    foil vs skim Reply with quote

I would be interested in comments about a comparison of litewind upwind capabilities of a skim board vs. a foil board.

Sella

Since 21 Apr 2007
1794 Posts
Doin' The Dalles
FLY'IN HIGH PIE GUY

PostFri Aug 14, 15 11:06 am     Reply with quote

fredf wrote:
I would be interested in comments about a comparison of litewind upwind capabilities of a skim board vs. a foil board.

Fred, I'm assuming you haven't actually seen a foil go upwind yet because the last time I checked the race scene nobody rides a skim. Foils are truly eye opening if you're into riding over the bumps instead of crushing them.

wylieflyote

Since 30 Jun 2006
1634 Posts
Puget Sound & Wa. Coast
XTreme Poster

PostFri Aug 14, 15 11:58 am     Reply with quote

I have a very difficult time with not overloading the hype re:foils. Almost everyone who gets up beyond few hours of this will come in muttering the phrase "Game Changer".
Example: On Seafair Saturday up here on Lake Washington it was barely 10+ mph/ 95 degree Summer heatwave. Four or five of us are out and absolutely ripping. It's shocking how fast you can go, and the sweet moves you can pull.
Added plus, quiet stealth mode slipping past calm waterski boat full of young bikinis Smile

Downside? Strong potential for swim-team, and tangles as you simply lose track of how little breeze there might be:

Last edited by wylieflyote on Sat Aug 15, 15 6:34 pm; edited 1 time in total

stringy

Since 23 Jun 2006
1724 Posts
vancouver
XTreme Poster

PostFri Aug 14, 15 1:16 pm    Re: foil vs skim Reply with quote

fredf wrote:

There is really no comparison.
IMO there was a time when skims used to be the best light wind board.
for example if you take a place like sauvies for example. you can mainly see riders on 12m-17m kites. some will use a twintip or a skim. I've been there where a 14m kite and a skim would keep you upwind. in the same conditions I can ride a foil and a 9m. I have a 12m that occasionally gets pumped and a 14.5m cloud that is practically brand new. I can still use the 14.5m for foiling but man that is some serious light wind. like 8 mph.

dwaynej

Since 09 Sep 2013
207 Posts

Stoked

CGKA Member

PostFri Aug 14, 15 9:41 pm     Reply with quote

A foil board will wreck havoc with your quiver as your skills improve to a point where the biggest kite you need is a 9M and the smallest a 7M. I have a 12M Foil Kite for the really light days and keep a 12M LEI for big offshore trips.

fredf

Since 10 Jan 2009
80 Posts
Eugene. Or

PostSat Aug 15, 15 12:31 pm     Reply with quote

Thanks for the comments Sella, wylieflyote, stringy and dwaynej; I am blown away with the step up in efficiency of the foil as you all describe.
Oh crap; another expense and another skill to take on but it sounds like one well worth the move.

Slappysan

Since 13 Jun 2012
308 Posts

Obsessed

PostMon Aug 17, 15 8:43 am     Reply with quote

Keep in mind what kind of kites you already have in your quiver as with the foilboard you will run in to the problem that the low end of your kites staying in the air becomes your low end.

You'll need kites that are designed to stay flying in super light winds to work well foiling or as soon as you fail a gybe you're swimming home.

Kites like:
- BRM Cloud
- OR Flite 2
- LF Solo
- Most foil kites

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: