Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Beginner

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
rustynail

Since 20 Jul 2015
1 Posts

PostTue Jul 21, 15 4:26 pm    Beginner Reply with quote

Hello everyone! I am looking at getting into kiteboarding. I live in Portland, and have been flying a trainer kite for the past 2 years off and on. I took a 3 hour lesson in Hood river and loved it. This year i am thinking about making the dive. I would like to go in the Gorge, Manzanita, and Sauvie (or anywhere semi-close to Portland). I am looking for ideas on what gear is essential, what type of board, size of kite, etc. Any advice would be great!

EasyDuzzit

Since 29 Jul 2013
22 Posts
Florence

PostTue Jul 21, 15 5:48 pm     Reply with quote

I'd start with Mo lessons! Can you rig, launch, body drag, water start, self rescue and land with a little confidence?

I'm only a little ahead of you on the curve, but I started with a beginner 3 lesson package at Floras Lake. Since then, I have found a used DaKine Fusion (seat/waist combo) harness and good big twintip board on this site. I like the float of my (used) impact vest along with a 3mm wetsuit for Floras Lake. I got a killer deal on a new older model 8M kite that came with bar, lines, bag and pump from Will at Floras (but I wouldn't hesitate to buy a used kite from one of the regulars on here). I am good to go in about 18-30 knots of wind.

Things I am planning on: helmet, bigger kite for lighter wind, directional kite(surf) board.

Welcome to the addiction!

kochease

Since 03 Jul 2008
760 Posts
In Ft. Stevens, OR
Opinionated

PostFri Jul 24, 15 12:17 pm     Reply with quote

Check out Jones Beach in Clatskanie, its near Portland and great for beginners.

As far as gear, thats a very big question. look up reviews, talk to other kiters or if you take another lesson (recommended) your instructor can help you out with those questions instructors are probably a more reliable resource on what will work best for you for where you plan to ride and what type of riding you want to do will all affect gear choices.

https://www.air-pirate.com

*CALL: 503-791-7372 *

Nevo

PostFri Jul 24, 15 4:47 pm    Learn together? Reply with quote

Easy or Rusty, would either or both of you be interested in noobing it up together? I've got a few lessons under my belt as well and want to start going out on my own but want friends to help with the learning process. I'm based out of pdx. Feel free to message me.

I would love to drive out to rufus tomorrow for a day trip.

D

Since 18 Apr 2015
56 Posts
Hood River

CGKA Member

PostSat Jul 25, 15 11:06 am     Reply with quote

What I would have done differently:
Don't waste your time learning to body drag and water start at the Event Site in HR. The wind is garbage and I spent a lot of unnecessary time fighting the gusts and lulls that are the sandbar. Other than that, it's just time on the water. Have fun!

ShiverMeTimbers

Since 26 Feb 2013
381 Posts
Gig Harbor
Obsessed

PostSat Jul 25, 15 1:03 pm     Reply with quote

Its easier to be a adequately or slightly over-powered than under-powered, so keep that in mind when buying a kite. Buy lightly used.

As for boards, you do not need anything fancy. Get something around 140cm if you're a normal sized person.

Seat harness.

Impact vest and helmet.

Practice practice practice. Fly the kite lots, even if you don't get in the water every time.

Good luck!

bigjohn

Since 13 Mar 2012
663 Posts

Addicted

PostSun Jul 26, 15 4:44 pm    Re: Learn together? Reply with quote

5walnut10 wrote:
Easy or Rusty, would either or both of you be interested in noobing it up together? I've got a few lessons under my belt as well and want to start going out on my own but want friends to help with the learning process. I'm based out of pdx. Feel free to message me.

I would love to drive out to rufus tomorrow for a day trip.

5Walnut10, please do not take this the wrong way. Rufus is a great place to kite... Until things go bad. The current will take you and your gear down river very quickly. If (when) you pass the island(s) you will have to swim very hard to get back. Words of advice.... When you are attempting to swim home, do not swim against the current (east). Rather swim South towards the freeway. This will take you into the weeds and thorns which will likely poke holes in your kite, however at least you will get home safely. You may want to remove the air from your main bladder and wrap your kite up tight with your safety leash (leaving the struts with air in them). This will decrease the odds of poking a hole in your kite as you are navigating the thorns. I speak these words not in intimidation, rather in insight of a guy that chose to kite at rufus before he was ready. Good luck with your progress and stay safe!!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: