Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

2015 SS kite bags - thoughts?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
jblum

Since 13 Jul 2008
305 Posts
The Gorge
Obsessed

PostSun Jul 19, 15 12:26 pm    2015 SS kite bags - thoughts? Reply with quote

Just got my 2015 RPMs and noticed the bag is a new design. What are thoughts on the new bags?

Jonpnw

Since 22 Jul 2010
1323 Posts
Pacific Northwest
XTreme Poster

PostSun Jul 19, 15 5:15 pm    Stuff sacks Reply with quote

compression style stuff sacks are tempting

Join the Columbia Gorge Water Sports Association. http://gorgewindsurfing.org/

its_kite:30

Since 29 May 2009
108 Posts
White Salmon/ Beaverton
Stoked

PostSun Jul 19, 15 10:50 pm     Reply with quote

Perhaps a picture for the under privileged. Laughing

toddjb

Since 16 Oct 2007
271 Posts
MD
Obsessed

PostThu Jul 23, 15 12:35 pm     Reply with quote

HA, this is funny to me. Reminds me of my own feedback several years ago...

Remember when SS used to have those big red kite sacks? They were 2004 and earlier. I loved those bags and still keep one of them limping along as it holds two kites, bars, bump, harness, etc. Anyway, in 2005 I think they changed to the black suitcase. That bag only lasted a year or two and I vocally bitched about it and people basically told me, "who f*cking cares. It's all about the kite."

...so, I've kept my mouth shut since and have been moderately happy with the limp backpacks they've used for several years. I noticed on my new RPM that the bag had changed. I honestly didn't give it much thought. "Hmm, new bag. Now let's see the kite..."

It's hanging in my garage, I've taken it on several trips, but I honestly can't tell you how the features compare between it and the old bags. Laughing I just recall a little pocket in the lower front that held the new pump hose.

Sella

Since 21 Apr 2007
1794 Posts
Doin' The Dalles
FLY'IN HIGH PIE GUY

PostFri Jul 24, 15 10:13 am     Reply with quote

Slingy bags are a last minute thought from their design team it seems. Top pocket zipper lasts about a week. Top loop holder for your garage hook is weak. Fabric color fades quickly so when you try to resell it the first impression it gives is "this thing was rode hard"....while the kite inside is pristine and will never break or leak air after a tomahawk session. The bag holds a kite, it ain't fancy, but it gets the job done.

I laugh at guys riding other brands recommending to not inflate their kites too hard because they can't get their LE to seal. Rolling Eyes If it ain't ping tight...it ain't ready for flight boys and self rescues for gear malfunctions is at the top of my list for "no #$%$^@ way." I'll gladly ride back to shore any day to put my Slingy back into a shitty bag.

JeffT

Since 07 Jul 2012
238 Posts
Deep Southern Portland
Stoked

PostFri Jul 24, 15 4:51 pm     Reply with quote

At least it fits in the bag!

Trying to get my 12m Naish Pivot into it's tiny bag at then end of the day is the worst!

I'm tempted to carry the 12m Pivot in the Best Cabo 5m bag and put the 5m Cabo in the 12m Naish bag.

flipper

Since 17 Oct 2011
320 Posts

Obsessed

PostFri Jul 24, 15 9:23 pm     Reply with quote

When I bought my new kite they asked if I wanted paper or plastic.

I chose paper and have never looked back.

Nice to not have a broken zipper too.

paperorplastic.jpg 

Occupied Columbia

Since 12 Nov 2011
376 Posts
Columbia City
Obsessed

PostSat Jul 25, 15 9:29 am     Reply with quote

flipper

Since 17 Oct 2011
320 Posts

Obsessed

PostSat Jul 25, 15 11:39 am     Reply with quote

lol - for the record, I love my Slingshot stuff...

toddjb

Since 16 Oct 2007
271 Posts
MD
Obsessed

PostMon Jul 27, 15 7:51 am     Reply with quote

Sella wrote:
Slingy bags are a last minute thought from their design team it seems. Top pocket zipper lasts about a week. Top loop holder for your garage hook is weak. Fabric color fades quickly so when you try to resell it the first impression it gives is "this thing was rode hard"....while the kite inside is pristine and will never break or leak air after a tomahawk session. The bag holds a kite, it ain't fancy, but it gets the job done.

I'm okay with the bags now. I have moved to the "who cares" category.
That said, I find I only have zipper issues with salt water and it isn't an issue if you exercise them a bit.
My top hang loops have never worn out...seriously, those things have been solid. That 2004 bag I mentioned has been hung heavy on a hook for 10 years, used regularly, still holding. The backpacks are the same. Guess you got a bad lot.
Sella wrote:
I laugh at guys riding other brands recommending to not inflate their kites too hard because they can't get their LE to seal. Rolling Eyes If it ain't ping tight...it ain't ready for flight boys and self rescues for gear malfunctions is at the top of my list for "no #$%$^@ way." I'll gladly ride back to shore any day to put my Slingy back into a shitty bag.

I agree with you. I pump it hard and it hasn't caused any issues.
How many times do you launch someone's limp kite (they say it's fine) and then you see them struggling to water launch the thing 10 minutes later as it folds in half at the center?!? Laughing

Last edited by toddjb on Mon Jul 27, 15 1:04 pm; edited 1 time in total

Sella

Since 21 Apr 2007
1794 Posts
Doin' The Dalles
FLY'IN HIGH PIE GUY

PostMon Jul 27, 15 11:48 am     Reply with quote

toddjb wrote:
How many times do you launch someone's limp kite (they say it's fine) and then you see them struggling to water launch the thing 10 minutes later as it folds in half at the center?!? Laughing

Everyday. Newbies, if you can squeeze your LE.....keep pumping.

toddjb

Since 16 Oct 2007
271 Posts
MD
Obsessed

PostMon Jul 27, 15 6:25 pm     Reply with quote

SINCE it was asked, I took some pictures of the new bag. Rolling Eyes

It's a fine bag. Sleek. Will stack in the car nicer than the old floppy bag, but also won't hold as much extra stuff.
Fits the kite very nicely though, has a internal divider for the bar and a strap to hold it.
Has the outside pump storage bungees. Has two long straps that can hold a board to the bag or you can also use the upper one (not shown) to secure your kite in the bag. So instead of needing a separate kite strap, it is already integrated into the bag, which is pretty cool.

There is a small pocket in the front. All the bags also include a spare pigtail attached to the zipper pull. So that's nice. Some years they put them on the kite, this year there is one on the bag.

The best part is the kites are guaranteed to be full of stoke. I don't actually know how they fit this much stoke in such a small bag.

And that's all I have to say about bags.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: