Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Vancouver island/Sooke kiting?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
graka

Since 23 Jun 2008
41 Posts

PostTue Jul 07, 15 8:07 am    Vancouver island/Sooke kiting? Reply with quote

Hello -

I'm planning a trip to Vancouver Island, B.C. in early September. Anyone know about conditions for kiting? Sounds like Sooke might have some wind, but I can't find much info aside from locations after a short google search. Anyone kited up there? Good waves/consistent wind?

Jonathan

kitebot

Since 20 Feb 2007
251 Posts

Obsessed

PostTue Jul 07, 15 1:32 pm     Reply with quote

Hi Jonathan,

check out bigwavedave.ca, it's the Island's site, there are people there who will point you in the right direction. The wind forecasts on this site are extremely useful for BC. I'm not an Islander but I have kited there and can tell you this:

Read up on the following:

-Port Alberni - an inlet that works on thermals
-Nitinat Lake - a semi-salty lake in the absolute middle of nowhere with summer thermal kiting. This is the most consistent summer spot on the Island, usually it's steady 9-10m conditions whenever it's sunny.

September may still be alright for both the above spots

If you're down near Victoria check out Dallas Road for ocean sailing, wind here is frontally driven

If you want waves try Chestermanns' beach near Tofino, it's not at all reliable for wind though, watch for a Northwesterly as per bigwavedave's forecast. This is a wave spot near Long Beach. You can always go surfing while you're out that way when you get skunked. This is a frontal spot too.

Columbia beach near Parksville is a good spring/fall spot, that even gets a decent windswell wave now and then. Bigwavedave should have more info. This is another frontal spot but it works on easterly winds (low pressure systems)

The Comox Spit is decent, chop on one side, flats on the other, but only worth it in my opinion if you're already heading to that part of the Island.

And lastly, if you're taking the ferry from Tsawwassen to get to the Island, watch the forecast as there can be great SW or NW kiting off the ferry terminal spit at the east end, just look for the other kiters. This is an incredible flatwater spot where the weeds keep the surface glassy smooth when the tide is right.

Take all your kites, have fun and post up when you're back.

juandesooka

Since 21 Jan 2014
96 Posts

PostFri Jul 10, 15 12:12 am     Reply with quote

I live in sooke. The summary above is bang on. The summer thermals in Juan de fuca strait get iffy in Sept. Nitinat should still be on. Tofino may have more swell.

Go to the wiki page on bigwavedave.ca. ...sailing guides give details on all the spots.

Good luck

terofez

PostFri Jun 28, 19 1:25 am     Reply with quote

Proper guide and all advanced items ache been done for the citizens. The nature of the guidance and best academic writing services are marked for the surfaced and developed items for humans.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: