Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Stolen Kites - PDX Hollywood
Page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
willhf

Since 03 Jul 2014
26 Posts

PostFri May 29, 15 9:54 am    Stolen Kites - PDX Hollywood Reply with quote

Car broken into last night, kites stolen from trunk. Nothing visible in the car. I shouldn't have been stupid and left the kites in the car.

2014 8M Slingshot Rally -- blue primary, red+yellow trim (I think, I'm so mad right now that my memory is troubled).
2013 (1st gen) 10M Naish Ride -- blue
2013 12M Slingshot Rally -- orange primary, yellow trim

No bars stolen.

Update: Police report filed. Any advice or actions to take?

Dern

Since 11 Jul 2010
544 Posts
Vancouver, WA
Addicted

PostFri May 29, 15 10:56 am     Reply with quote

Do you have any pictures of your gear or maybe you riding around with your kites in the picture? Just so its easier for us to keep an eye out. Slingshots are so common this would help to make them stand out.

willhf

Since 03 Jul 2014
26 Posts

PostFri May 29, 15 12:27 pm     Reply with quote

Thanks Dern. I don't think I have any photos, but I will check.

wylieflyote

Since 30 Jun 2006
1634 Posts
Puget Sound & Wa. Coast
XTreme Poster

PostSat May 30, 15 5:56 am     Reply with quote

This sucks. Everyone here needs to keep searching Craigslist in all NW towns for several weeks. I found Tonya and Tecco's LF stuff here in Tacoma. Crackhead didn't have any clue what he was selling. I did not recover their stuff as I got very nervous, and just assumed the PD would do the heavy lifting... NOT. Next time I would call a few large friends and just grab the shit. Meet the "seller" in some public place like a 7/11 parking lot.
When this also happened to me here in Tacoma, Washington the local PD would not even begin to talk to me without the SERIAL NUMBERS from the kites.
You just reminded me to catalog and inventory recent purchases. In the past I've photoed the serial number tags and stored the images on a secure cloud drive.

fisherman

Since 06 Aug 2007
113 Posts

Stoked

PostSun May 31, 15 4:19 pm     Reply with quote

If you have a full coverage your insurance will pay for a new gear. It should be covered. On the other hand if you are cheap and have only liability insurance, tough luck. Same for uninsured bastards.

airtimekite

Since 10 Aug 2005
28 Posts
13th and Wasco

PostTue Jun 02, 15 8:58 am     Reply with quote

willhf,

If you have anything on those kites that make them easily identifiable let us know. We see lot's of kites come through our doors and can check kites that match what you lost.

Casey

AIRTIME kite, Inc.
1225 Wasco St.
Suite B
Hood River, OR 97031

T: 541.387.3910

www.airtimekite.com

kassak

Since 18 May 2010
107 Posts

Stoked

PostWed Jun 03, 15 12:56 pm     Reply with quote

Renters and homeowners policies usually cover your personal property even when outside the dwelling.

Auto insurance even comprehensive doesn't consistently cover things which aren't attached to the car.

Police tend to very useless. If you find your stuff people have had luck meeting up to buy it in public place with few large friends and calling the police as you are about to confront the person. The police advise against this kinda thing but if you are in process of confrontation they are kinda forced to get involved.

wylieflyote

Since 30 Jun 2006
1634 Posts
Puget Sound & Wa. Coast
XTreme Poster

PostWed Jun 03, 15 1:53 pm     Reply with quote

Somewhat off-topic but.. Doesn't turning in a stolen property claim to an insurance company just make your monthly premiums go up up up from that day forward? Seems to have held true in my history. Paying for lost kites for years & years.

Anthony

Since 07 Oct 2008
362 Posts
Salem
Obsessed

CGKA Member

PostWed Jun 03, 15 6:10 pm     Reply with quote

Insurance should be only used for the big loses! Or rates will rise.

Cannon

Since 13 Sep 2010
72 Posts

PostWed Jun 03, 15 6:23 pm     Reply with quote

Anthony wrote:
Insurance should be only used for the big loses! Or rates will rise.

Two or more claims in a five year period and there is a good chance you will be dropped and the alternative carrier will be 2-3xs more. Be smart and make it count.

infoanalysis

Since 31 Jan 2017
15 Posts

PostTue Sep 12, 17 10:31 am     Reply with quote

Be careful making a homeowner claim they are very accommodating because they may also boost you insurance rates to cover the cost and more. This was myown personal experience. Make sure you ask the insurance company how this might effect your rates.

Pepi

Since 16 Jun 2006
1831 Posts
Pure Stoke Sports
Shop Owner

CGKA Member

PostTue Sep 12, 17 10:54 am     Reply with quote

airtimekite wrote:
willhf,

If you have anything on those kites that make them easily identifiable let us know. We see lot's of kites come through our doors and can check kites that match what you lost.

Casey

Casey makes a good point and would be good to share with our shop, 2nd Wind, also with Windance and Gorge Performance.

www.Purestokesports.com

kassak

Since 18 May 2010
107 Posts

Stoked

PostWed Sep 13, 17 6:31 am    Insurance Reply with quote

I would be very cautious against using renters/homeowners unless the value is substantial. If you use it now and then again anytime in next few years, they will probably kick you to high risk pool which will could cost you a lot. Auto insurance if covered is probably better. Also the insurers generally view some of the regulations as forbidding them from advising whether it's in your interest to submit a claim since they are forbidden from advising you against submitting claims by law.

You could also poke around the local tent villes. And there some other app besides CL people are using to hawk stolen stuff, forgot its name

wylieflyote

Since 30 Jun 2006
1634 Posts
Puget Sound & Wa. Coast
XTreme Poster

PostWed Sep 13, 17 7:58 am     Reply with quote

Under a bridge homeless camp:

dwaynej

Since 09 Sep 2013
207 Posts

Stoked

CGKA Member

PostWed Sep 13, 17 11:18 am     Reply with quote

infoanalysis wrote:
Be careful making a homeowner claim they are very accommodating because they may also boost you insurance rates to cover the cost and more. This was myown personal experience. Make sure you ask the insurance company how this might effect your rates.

This! Buddy had two claims against his homeowners policy in the same year - One was for stolen kites and the other was water damage. After the second claim, a nice letter arrived in the mail cancelling his policy. He struggled to obtain another policy and ended up with Lloyds for $1K more than his original policy.

dwaynej

Since 09 Sep 2013
207 Posts

Stoked

CGKA Member

PostWed Sep 13, 17 11:21 am     Reply with quote

infoanalysis wrote:

This! Buddy had two claims against his homeowners policy in the same year - One was for stolen kites and the other was water damage. After the second claim, a nice letter arrived in the mail cancelling his policy. He struggled to obtain another policy and ended up with Lloyds for $1K more than his original policy.

wannabekiter

Since 14 May 2015
269 Posts
Hood river
Obsessed

PostWed Sep 13, 17 11:50 am    Insurance Reply with quote

My friend is my agent and says the same thing. Save the insurance for the BIG claims.
Which I think is a bunch of bull shit. They will cancel you and it is very hard get insurance again.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: