Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Idiot KILLED the tree in Stevenson
Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Jimbo

Since 16 Jul 2009
58 Posts
Seattle

PostTue May 19, 15 3:02 pm    I bet it wasn't a kiter Reply with quote

I'm bummed to see that tree gone and support efforts to raise some money to replace it etc. Logically there is some motive for a kiter to do it, but I really don't think it was a kiter.

To be a kiter you have to be able to think through situations on the water, launching etc. If you are a good enough kiter to ride at Stevenson then you are good enough kiter to know how to avoid that tree. A kiter would know that the whole community would be on his/her ass if he/she got caught cutting that tree.

My syllogism goes like this. Kite gear is expensive and Kiters are smart enough to earn the money for the gear and therefore Kiters are too smart to something dumb like cut a tree.

My guess is that it was a couple bored stoned/drunk high school kids that know nothing about kiting and found crosscut saw in grandpa's barn. They decided to cut a tree as a prank or for something to do. It became hard work and probably was getting stuck and they bailed before they could finish the job. They cut into it horizontally too, rather than at an angle. They didn't really know what they were doing IMO.

I know I did some dumb stuff when I was in HS just because I was bored in a small town. I never ruthlessly cut tree though but I think most of us have done something stupid like this when we were in HS.

Hopefully they will be caught. Chances are that word will get around. If you know anything about small towns, you know that everyone knows everyone's business.

Memorial Day weekend is upon us, I'm ready for some 7M days in the swells.

Be Stoked!!!

J.P.

Since 10 Mar 2005
638 Posts

Addicted

PostTue May 19, 15 3:50 pm     Reply with quote

>>Logically there is some motive for a kiter to do it, but I really don't think it was a kiter.

If it wasn’t someone from the only demographic with a motive to take out that tree, who was it? Stoned and drunk high schoolers would not come back 2 nights in the row, however, someone that's motivated with an agenda would. think about it!

>>Hopefully they will be caught. Chances are that word will get around. If you know anything about small towns, you know that everyone knows everyone's business.

Agreed! As for punishment, IMHO It's unfortunate that public stockades are no longer around in today’s society… Very Happy Cool

>My syllogism goes like this. Kite gear is expensive and Kiters are smart enough to earn the money for the gear and therefore Kiters are too smart to something dumb like cut a tree.

After reading your syllogism and giving it some thought ((and appropriate amount of levity)), my syllogism goes like this, I have bridge for sale, I'd like to show it to you ! Razz

Peace!

UPWIND LAUNCH OF A SPORT

Last edited by J.P. on Tue May 19, 15 5:31 pm; edited 1 time in total

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2053 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostTue May 19, 15 4:47 pm    Re: I bet it wasn't a kiter Reply with quote

Jimbo wrote:
I'm bummed to see that tree gone and support efforts to raise some money to replace it etc. Logically there is some motive for a kiter to do it, but I really don't think it was a kiter.

To be a kiter you have to be able to think through situations on the water, launching etc. If you are a good enough kiter to ride at Stevenson then you are good enough kiter to know how to avoid that tree. A kiter would know that the whole community would be on his/her ass if he/she got caught cutting that tree.

My syllogism goes like this. Kite gear is expensive and Kiters are smart enough to earn the money for the gear and therefore Kiters are too smart to something dumb like cut a tree.

My guess is that it was a couple bored stoned/drunk high school kids that know nothing about kiting and found crosscut saw in grandpa's barn. They decided to cut a tree as a prank or for something to do. It became hard work and probably was getting stuck and they bailed before they could finish the job. They cut into it horizontally too, rather than at an angle. They didn't really know what they were doing IMO.

I know I did some dumb stuff when I was in HS just because I was bored in a small town. I never ruthlessly cut tree though but I think most of us have done something stupid like this when we were in HS.

Hopefully they will be caught. Chances are that word will get around. If you know anything about small towns, you know that everyone knows everyone's business.

Memorial Day weekend is upon us, I'm ready for some 7M days in the swells.

Be Stoked!!!

Jimbo: If it swims like a beaver, and cuts trees down like a beaver it probably is a beaver.

And remember it takes the letters OSU to spell cOck SUcker, and that is what the person who did this pointless act is.

Sorry had to get that one jab into all those OSU beavers out there because I just have a hard time with the saying "if it acts like and walks like a duck, it probably is a duck" saying so I had to switch it up.

Back to Jimbo. . . it had to be a kiter. Maybe a poor skilled kiter that wants to be able to kite more at Stevenson? And or it is someone who wants to get back at the Dangler.

Bottom line is it is very unfortunate that this occurred and the Stevenson cam pics just don't look as peaceful and pleasing without that pine tree.

tonyb

Since 09 Oct 2006
973 Posts
Stevenson in the summer & SPI in the winter
Bolstad Clan

PostTue May 19, 15 6:51 pm     Reply with quote

So, I received the following in my Port e-mail account today:

"Tony,
As part of the critical areas permit exemption, we are required to plant two trees for each one removed. They will need to be in the general area as the cut one but not necessarily in the same spot. Would the kiters who use the area have any input as to where the replacements should go? "

My thought is to plant a bit more to the west (20 to 30' more west) up close to the bank. Any comments?

And if someone is really serious that the tree shouldn't be there come show your face in a Port meeting and explain why. Don't be a stinking coward cutting things up in the night. Grow some real balls and deal with issues like a grown up. Or go kite somewhere else.

Tony

ecameron

Since 29 Jul 2009
90 Posts
PDX

PostTue May 19, 15 8:42 pm    just a reasonable interjection Reply with quote

A thought on this. Primary i want to make it known i dont kite at stevenson basically at all and am not a resident so my opinion has only so much value, so this is less of an opinion and more of a reminder. When you decide where to replant these trees, keep a clear head and dont think with vengeance. You dont want to be the person who decided to place an object somewhere just to make a point. Some innocent receipt of the product of that decision doesnt deserve it. It is horrible what happened, dont make it worse by setting a trap. not knowing what the distance or location youre writing of, i may be way off base. If i am, sorry.

chrissmack

Since 08 Jun 2005
515 Posts
portland
Addicted

PostTue May 19, 15 9:32 pm     Reply with quote

probably not possible, too close to path and parking lot, but this would make some nice shade where those picnic tables are always at

stevie.jpg 

tonyb

Since 09 Oct 2006
973 Posts
Stevenson in the summer & SPI in the winter
Bolstad Clan

PostWed May 20, 15 5:10 am     Reply with quote

I like chris' idea but maybe another 10' to the west for each tree. The picnic bench ends up along in that space most weekends anyway so I don't think we'd be losing any rigging space.

More ideas?

Tony

Jimbo

Since 16 Jul 2009
58 Posts
Seattle

PostWed May 20, 15 7:14 am     Reply with quote

Quote:
J.P. .....I have bridge for sale, I'd like to show it to you !

Dude I totally need to buy a bridge Razz ....good one J.P. Razz

I stand by my guess. Either way it is total dick move that someone would do that.

moondog

Since 15 Aug 2007
697 Posts
white salmon
Addicted

CGKA Member

PostWed May 20, 15 7:33 am     Reply with quote

More importantly than placement, is the type of trees. How quickly it grows up and out will affect kiters in the next generation. My arborist Dave Braun can recommend the proper trees for every sight. He is in Hood River at 541-806-0347. We have the pine beetle issues that need to be considered also.

dangler

Since 26 Feb 2006
1742 Posts
WINDY SPOTS
XTreme Poster

PostWed May 20, 15 8:21 am    tree location Reply with quote

I think you should put a mature tree right back in the same place. It's the best spot for shade and hanging out, (and the dickhead who did this, def a kiter, shouldn't benefit from this act of arbor terrorism). The other one should go in my back yard!

Jonpnw

Since 22 Jul 2010
1322 Posts
Pacific Northwest
XTreme Poster

PostWed May 20, 15 8:34 am    Vote for Same Location Reply with quote

My vote if to put one of the trees in the same or very close to the existing. Same species too. And the second one in the furthest west location between the sidewalk and the parking lot, near the drinking fountain.

Join the Columbia Gorge Water Sports Association. http://gorgewindsurfing.org/

Kraemer

Since 24 Apr 2006
1735 Posts
Sky Pilot
Unicorn Captain

PostWed May 20, 15 8:37 am     Reply with quote

I was curious about how much a mature replacement tree would cost-- $4k is the answer I got. It's called a shore pine. ( GardenWorld in Wilsonville. ) I didn't negotiate with them, that's just the number they quoted. I think A couple Pom-pom pines would look great

quoted.jpg 
   pom.jpg 

MIXWELL

Since 10 Mar 2007
496 Posts
LGP COUGAR HUNTING ChEETO SLAYER
Windmixer

PostWed May 20, 15 1:53 pm     Reply with quote

moke erb! Alien

Wind Slither

Since 04 Mar 2005
2570 Posts
The 503
METAL

PostWed May 20, 15 6:52 pm     Reply with quote

Good Gawd, Mix, your a genius! Yes! We line the whole bank with "trees". Over time we replace the males and pick the low hanging fruit in between sessions.

Rasta! Cool

beefcake

Since 11 Jul 2007
140 Posts

Stoked

PostWed May 20, 15 10:01 pm    Same location Reply with quote

I agree with the dangler, same location, that location provides a nice separation from the launch zone to passerbyers and those that bring the fam. that location also keeps launch from getting chaotic as it provides separation for another place to rig.

Other location like tony said maybe more to the west, between cars and path would be cool would need to be right kind of tree.

J.P.

Since 10 Mar 2005
638 Posts

Addicted

PostFri May 22, 15 7:09 am     Reply with quote

Check this out!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/608389315944697/

>Someone bring a chainsaw down to the park and ride!

As a individual that ran beach cleanups at Mangnuson beach for 11 years working with the Seattle Parks department, let me says, this is a subject that should not be joked about….

You’re making all kiters look bad!

IMHO Given consideration to recent “local” Gorilla arborous events, that’s the last suggestion I’d be making in the community right about now…

UPWIND LAUNCH OF A SPORT

Last edited by J.P. on Fri May 22, 15 7:40 am; edited 2 times in total

J.P.

Since 10 Mar 2005
638 Posts

Addicted

PostFri May 22, 15 7:39 am     Reply with quote

The quick response from the poster boy

Sorry, I don't have time to read 6 pages about a tree in Stevenson. The piling in edmonds is agree that has already been killed.

My thoughts on this is inciting Gorilla tactics to bring change on public property.

Destruction of Public Property is Destruction of Public Property despite any rationalization supporting certain special interest groups you may believe justifies the actions.

Community, please speak up!!!!

UPWIND LAUNCH OF A SPORT

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 6 of 9

Jump to: