Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

HR Event site Rat Poison
Page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
kitebug

Since 27 Apr 2015
40 Posts
Hood River

PostTue Apr 28, 15 9:00 pm     Reply with quote

Getting back on the topic I started, I'm hoping to address some of the comments:

1) It is not dogs getting into nearby restaurant owner's kitchen areas. There are no restaurants that close to the event site (not waterfront park). The original incident on March 12th was reported on in HR News, take a look: http://www.hoodrivernews.com/news/2015/mar/12/port-urges-keep-pets-leash-following-poisoning-inc/

2) It was reported on this first incident as well as the second one that I brought up that the poison was found on the grass, near the shoreline at the event site (not waterfront park).

3) Decon was the poison in both cases (it's the standard green pellets in a yellow packet or box). The pellets are about 1/8" - 1/4" and green.

4) a sign was up in March. I agree the Port should put the sign back up. Perhaps if a few of us email or call them they will put up a sign. A sign my divert the perpetrator, to make them think twice since we are on to them.

5) If you see anything at all suspicious of find poison notify(from the March article):
The Port urges all waterfront visitors to keep dogs on a leash at all times, and to notify the Port immediately if they see any other poison pellets in the area by calling (541) 386-1645 or via email to porthr@gorge.net.

6) In addition you can contact the Sheriffs office and also the Health department at 541-387-6885. The health department would be involved if it presents a problem to public safety. There were a bunch of kids at the event site on Saturday, so I'ld say it is a problem.

7) I googled dog poisonings and saw the incident a few years ago at Laurelhurst Park in Portland, where 17 dogs were poisoned on purpose by someone that did not like dogs. Even though the police knew who did it they could not arrest him as they did not have enough evidence. But just being investigated was enough to deter him. In most cases the criminal cannot be caught, therefore the only line of defense is knowledge, taking it seriously, and courteously confronting suspicious people to make it know that they are being watched. Unfortunately there is no webcam at that spot, that might work, again we should keep pushing the Port and authorities to take action, especially if this happens again.

Cool My friends' dog, that started me posting this, died from the poison after being at the event site last week, the vet confirmed this. The new incident has been reported to the Port and the Sheriff but they haven't heard anything back yet. Again, what can they do! It's frustrating. To some of us our pets are our families.

9) Oh and the Sheriff should check the credit card purchases, good idea, although the poison in cheap and they could have paid cash!

kitebug

Since 27 Apr 2015
40 Posts
Hood River

PostTue Apr 28, 15 9:03 pm     Reply with quote

Don't know why my #8 point came out as a happy face ! Damn! Should've been a sad or mad face.. Evil or Very Mad Crying or Very sad

Ok, now the emoticons don't work... whatever....

p.s. Can't wait for some wind and warm... at the same time would be nice!

dangler

Since 26 Feb 2006
1742 Posts
WINDY SPOTS
XTreme Poster

PostTue Apr 28, 15 9:26 pm    bummers Reply with quote

Thanx for the good intel, kitebug. I agree a sign should be in place, kinda felt like Debbie Downer today telling everyone I saw with dogs about this. One guy with four of the cutest dachsunds seemed to have his day ruined by the news, hard to believe there are people that would do this in our world.

When I first heard this news, I thought it must be someone that slipped on some goosepoop and slipped a disc, and the pain drove them to madness and a compulsion to murder geese. Couldn't imagine anyone intentionally trying to murder our family pets, but the guy in Portland is proof that I hold humans to a standard that a few don't live up to.

Hope this sick individual moves on before anyone else suffers the heartbreak your friends did.

People that hurt innocent animals = Evil or Very Mad Twisted Evil Mad Exclamation Exclamation

Sun and wind and good vibes at the Event site = Smile Very Happy Laughing Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation

wylieflyote

Since 30 Jun 2006
1634 Posts
Puget Sound & Wa. Coast
XTreme Poster

PostWed Apr 29, 15 5:44 am     Reply with quote

kitebug wrote:

7) Unfortunately there is no webcam at that spot!

Harbor Freight Tools sell "phoney" $12 cams. Maybe the Port would agree to place some of these around the property? These worked great when I worked for WSDOT and our sheds were getting broken into.

http://www.harborfreight.com/outdoor-imitation-security-camera-61806.html

pollywog

Since 07 Aug 2009
289 Posts

Obsessed

PostWed Apr 29, 15 9:48 am     Reply with quote

SOB! This scares me! I love being able to let the poms run on the sandbar in Spring! They meet other cool pups and generally have a great time (yes, we clean up after them). Come summer, we stick to our leashes. However, the sad truth is they are supposed to always be leashed we just get excited for them to have fun. That's over.
The reality is not everyone cleans up after their dogs and others see it as some thinking they are above the rules and thus need to be checked. People immediately go to extremes in an attempt to make a point. Protect your own, that's all you can do.

Keep your pups safe and nail the SOB if you are lucky enough to see them!

jerp

Since 22 Feb 2013
450 Posts

Obsessed

PostWed Apr 29, 15 10:39 am     Reply with quote

Yep, this is crazy. I just can't understand why someone would go do this regardless of how much sh*t is being left around.

There are also kids and toddlers running around at the ES. Young toddlers put f-ing everything in their mouths.

I have no idea about local windsurf forums, it may not be a bad idea to post something on there also and give our fellow watermen (women) a shot across the bow (no pun intended)

ShiverMeTimbers

Since 26 Feb 2013
381 Posts
Gig Harbor
Obsessed

PostFri May 01, 15 12:19 pm     Reply with quote

If I find this person, it will not end well for them.

I have a wonderful, loving dog who wouldn't hurt anyone. And now I have a 4 month old baby. We will be down at the event site all summer.

If I find out who this is:

Lurk

Since 04 Apr 2009
355 Posts

Obsessed

PostWed May 06, 15 7:32 am     Reply with quote

This is really sad, it is may be happening at night when the perp is less likely to be seen. Hope toddlers don't eat the rat poison OR the dogshit!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: