Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Can I afford to kiteboard?
Page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
inferno493

Since 16 Apr 2015
26 Posts

PostThu Apr 16, 15 6:05 pm    Can I afford to kiteboard? Reply with quote

I'm looking for a summertime sport and kiteboarding seems right up my alley. I bought a trainer kite and have had a lot of fun flying it, but I'm not sure I can swing the financial aspect.

What kind of initial cost would I be looking at to outfit myself and get a few lessons? Can I get away with one kite or do I realistically need more than one? What kind of annual expenses can I expect after the initial portion?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

its_kite:30

Since 29 May 2009
108 Posts
White Salmon/ Beaverton
Stoked

PostThu Apr 16, 15 7:21 pm     Reply with quote

I started off with only a 10m and it served me well as a kite I could use often in the Gorge. If I were to make a suggestion it would be go with an 8m and 12m combo your first year later you will add to your quiver as you progress. I wouldn't spend money on new gear buy quality used gear at half price. I am still buying 2012 kites (rallys) and believe the gear is safe. I would guess about $2000 for a couple lessons and some nice used gear and you would be dialed in for while.

C Johnson

Since 17 Apr 2009
853 Posts
Seattle
Opinionated

PostThu Apr 16, 15 7:48 pm     Reply with quote

Perhaps the question should be.

Can you afford not to kiteboard?

$2000 is a good rough estimate. buy your kites 2nd hand. Make friends with people who kite in your area and have them help you pick the right gear.

glaciers are melting, gas prices are sky rocketing, lift lines are bigger than ever and lift tickets are more expensive than ever. Wind sports are a year round activity that doesn't require lift tickets, driving long distances or an expensive gas hog boat.

jerp

Since 22 Feb 2013
450 Posts

Obsessed

PostThu Apr 16, 15 7:54 pm     Reply with quote

Kiteboarding is a great summer sport but it's only a matter of time before your doing year round or at least wanting to Smile

I would get a few lessons under the belt before even looking at gear. Ask tons of questions at the lessons about the various kites, Board design, harness types, rigging on the sand bar etc. If you do want to spend money on gear now I would invest in a decent 4/3 wet suit and booties. Being warm and not getting elephant legs from an ill fitting wet suit is important.

the classifieds are flooded with incredible gear and even if there some minors issues Airtime or the dangler can fix them very reasonable prices. The lessons and asking questions on this forum will easily guide you in the right direction with respect to gear.

Expect to pay at least 800 for some lessons and another 1500 to 2k on gear.

WindSki

Since 14 Dec 2012
402 Posts
Portland
Obsessed

PostThu Apr 16, 15 7:59 pm     Reply with quote

Personally you need to look at this sport costing you $1,000 per year, if broken down into a yearly cost.

Also note that with this sport, you're either into it or not. A similar sport I would say is rock climbing. You're either into it or a wanker. Also same life threatening issues being user error causing death or really bad body damage.

Since 29 May 2009
108 Posts
White Salmon/ Beaverton
Stoked

PostThu Apr 16, 15 8:06 pm     Reply with quote

I have seen guys go through a lot of cash on lessons but eventually got it, and others get riding after a few good lesson (my wife). I was dumb and took one bad lesson, bought my 10m and kicked my ass learning all year. Lessons are definitely worth every penny, as you will have fun and not hurt yourself learning. The amount you spend will depend on where you take the lessons and how well kiting comes you.

inferno493

Since 16 Apr 2015
26 Posts

PostThu Apr 16, 15 9:54 pm     Reply with quote

Thanks for all of the feedback! Sounds like it's feasible cost wise. Any recommendations for lessons? I spend a lot of time in astoria so that would be a lot easier than going to hood river (I live in Portland).

Johnb

Since 02 Aug 2010
494 Posts

Obsessed

PostFri Apr 17, 15 3:40 am     Reply with quote

inferno493 wrote:
Thanks for all of the feedback! Sounds like it's feasible cost wise. Any recommendations for lessons? I spend a lot of time in astoria so that would be a lot easier than going to hood river (I live in Portland).

Get a hold of Nate. He gives lesson at Jones Beach and I believe Ft Stevens.

http://www.air-pirate.com

corey4x4man

Since 13 Jun 2011
134 Posts
Beaverton, OR
Stoked

PostFri Apr 17, 15 5:59 am     Reply with quote

X2 on Nate.

Take a lesson before you buy any gear. Your instructor will give you a good idea of what you need based on where you plan to ride most.

Since 29 May 2009
108 Posts
White Salmon/ Beaverton
Stoked

PostFri Apr 17, 15 6:31 am     Reply with quote

I have to say my biased opinion is the guys down in floras lake. They have a great location on a lake with steady costal wind, great gear, and talented instructors. My wife was up and riding on her second lesson, she never evan rode a skateboard before. They only use jet skis and radio communication. I know Nate also has a great program as well.

Justsmile

Since 20 Jul 2009
1523 Posts
Not Portland
XTreme Poster

PostFri Apr 17, 15 6:59 am     Reply with quote

inferno493 wrote:

Don't waste your time aroun here for lessons. Take the trek to floras and you will learn in 3 days down there what you will learn in the shit show for weeks up here!

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2060 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostFri Apr 17, 15 9:19 am    Re: Can I afford to kiteboard? Reply with quote

inferno493 wrote:

What kind of initial cost would I be looking at to outfit myself and get a few lessons? Can I get away with one kite or do I realistically need more than one? What kind of annual expenses can I expect after the initial portion?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I think you can get a 3 lessons (like 9 hours; 3 days with 3 hours each lesson) and that is around $1000 bucks. Floras Lake really is the sh@t, but there are lessons at Jones and Fort Stevens. Ocean riding is at the top of the food chain, so you won't be riding in the ocean for sometime. You want flat water to learn. Even better would be flat, uncrowded water, that is waist deep or just a bit deeper--it is a rare commodity on the Columbia and around the PNW.

As for initial start up costs. . .you have got to ask yourself where you will be sailing and or how far you want to drive for wind? Unless you live in Manzanita or Warrenton/Astoria or Hood River area. You will be driving a lot. I'd say a minimum of 50 miles per session on the water.

SI from Portland is a nice drive and only 25 miles one way.

Rooster from West PDX is 30 one way.

If you live in Seaside and want to kite you're either going to Lot B at Fort Stevens or Manzanita aka Manzo--yes there is closer kiting there sometimes; usually S or S/SW winds or super big kiting like 17m. So lot B from Seaside is about 20 miles one way so at least 40 miles round trip--that isn't even factoring in downwinders and car logistics for setting up downwind shuttles.

Manzanita is 25 miles from Seaside so 50 round trip.

The point being lots of wear and tear upon your car from all the sand and road miles.
Gas is cheaper right now, but when it gets back up to $4 bucks a gallons. . . ouch.

That said, that is a lot of the variable costs of kiting after you get your gear, but really it is more like a fixed cost.

As for gear. . . One doesn't go out golfing with just one club. One needs more than one club to play the game. SAME goes for kiting. Nothing worse than driving 105 miles up to Rufus from PDX and getting skunked as the wind was too light or reversed skunked as there was too much wind for your kite quiver.

Typically people around here have 3 or 4 kites. 6m, 8m, 10, 13m or 14m. Or 6m, 9m, 12m.

Got to ask yourself where you will be kiting most to figure out your kite quiver situation.

Then there are boards. You can get away with one for a long time, but like most things in life, you probably will want some variety, so two boards are nice. A twin tip (TT) and a directional board aka kiteboarding surfboard. The bigger the board, the more buoyancy it provides and so one can rig a little less kite size.

Then there is the wetsuit issue. Dress for the swim, not the outside temps. If you are just starting out I would get a 5/4 mm full wet suit with a hood. And for the later months on the Columbia I would get a 3mm shortie. You can buy used wetsuits, but this is one item I would not try to skimp on. You are learning and will be in the cold waters a lot. If you get cold quicker, that is less time on the water to get better.

I'd say if you purchased 3 used complete setup kites at $650 average, a used TT board at $400, a new 5/4 wet suit at $400, booties and gloves $100. Lessons for $1000. . .

Yes, I'm leaving out other costs like seaspec sunglasses, lawn chair, towels, sunscreen, cooler and beers. State park parking passes, Hood River parking passes, bridge tolls, kite repair tape, hotel rooms and or camping fees etc etc.

$4000 or there about for an initial investment and jumping right into the addiction of kiting.

inferno493

Since 16 Apr 2015
26 Posts

PostFri Apr 17, 15 3:23 pm     Reply with quote

Great input, I really appreciate it. I'll almost certainly be kiting in or around Astoria as I work at the airport there. That makes driving a moot point as I'm going anyway and I stay for a week at a time. It looks like the environment is not ideal for learning, but I don't know that I have another realistic option. I might be able to get out to Flora or Hood River, I'll have to investigate that further. On the upside, I pick up new skills pretty readily, so learning may not be a huge barrier.

Thanks for all of the help!

MikeZ

Since 17 Jul 2012
207 Posts
Beaverton / Seaside / Govy
Stoked

PostSat Apr 18, 15 9:38 am     Reply with quote

inferno493 wrote:
It looks like the environment is not ideal for learning, but I don't know that I have another realistic option. I might be able to get out to Flora or Hood River, I'll have to investigate that further.

Nate at Air Pirates teaches at Jones Beach, and that's really close to Astoria. And Jones is a better location for teaching than Hood River (my opinion).

Plus Nate does a great job...

jerp

Since 22 Feb 2013
450 Posts

Obsessed

PostSat Apr 18, 15 11:35 am     Reply with quote

The other advantage with jones is that it goes from the afternoon to sundown so it's perfect for after work sessions.

Blazeheliski

Since 30 Mar 2011
655 Posts
Mosier
Addicted

PostSat Apr 18, 15 7:43 pm     Reply with quote

Nate lives in Astoria/Fort Stevens and will have you up and riding in no time. Give him a call at Air Pirates ........

sfbomber

Since 27 Jun 2012
112 Posts

Stoked

PostMon Apr 20, 15 12:51 pm     Reply with quote

I highly recommend a helmet and a pfd.
+1) On not buying gear until after you completed your lessons. One bit of advice I'd offer is to invest in good boards to cover each wind range. When I say good, I don't mean expensive, just efficient, look for used or closeout. Board choice has a more dramatic effect on your session, than changing kites imo. Then spend the money left over on an efficient 2005+ 9-10M kite. Then each year plan on buying ONE additional 2005+ kite to add more range [for e.x. 6M/9M/16M minimalist quiver for a 200# rider]. When I first started out I rode one board and kept buying additional kites to add range, when I could have done the same with additional boards, and for less money. I've since learned that I can cover the same range with one kite and three boards, that I could have with three kites and one board. It's much quicker to come in and switch boards when the winds change than vice versa. Once you have a few kites in your quiver, you can ask yourself which board you feel like riding, than pump up the appropriate kite based on the conditions.
Be safe (for yourself, and for others). Visit spots where you think you'll ride and talk to the locals, and hopefully make some friends. Respect their knowledge and experience. Buying kites is like buying cars, stay away from lemons and buy something with low miles. When you are first starting out it's better to buy kites complete with bar&lines.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: