Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Punta San Carlos

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
skideeppow

Since 26 Aug 2011
518 Posts

Addicted

PostFri Apr 10, 15 9:55 pm    Punta San Carlos Reply with quote

Thinking about booking a trip down there, what are best months if I had to pick from June's-November for wind consistency?
Any other beta would be appreciated. Looks pretty rustic but fun.

blancoh2o

Since 15 Mar 2005
1153 Posts
Oregon
Phishy

PostSat Apr 11, 15 8:48 am     Reply with quote

Its windier in the Spring but colder. There is more swell and lighter winds but warmer in the early Fall.
Go with Solosports. They fly you in from Dan Diego and you kite as soon as you arrive. They take care of everything you need while you are there so there is no planning other than brining warm clothes, a wetsuit and harness. It's open bar and three meals a day. The tents are comfy and warm. Book early, they fill up.
If you are driving down, you will be totally on your own. You have to bring everything you need for the duration. The drive in is a long dirt road. You need a rugged vehicle with decent ground clearance. You don't need a full expedition off roader but something that can handle the abuse of a 3 hour pounding.

https://kb4c.rallyup.com/kb4c/286ef9/Member

BigR

Since 05 Jul 2005
372 Posts
White Salmon
Obsessed

PostSat Apr 11, 15 10:40 am     Reply with quote

Best month is June. Water colder than the air. Camping on a plateau with coyotes that will steal your water....... watch out for the pack kangaroo rats as well after nightfall......

You can drive down in a rental van from SD, bestest is a vehichle with the highest clearance.

Look for the "Gorilla Head" mountain rock from the main road and you start down the journey on a gravel, rocks and gulleys road for another hour after 2 something hours from SD on a good road

Ryan

Since 14 Jul 2005
536 Posts
Oregon
Addicted

PostSat Apr 11, 15 3:20 pm    waves Reply with quote

been there 5 times, 4 in the spring, 1 in the fall.

its always windy, not to worry. the bigger concern is the waves. I got overhead waves once in 5 trips and when its not overhead it lacks power (its a weak wave to begin with) and the point doesn't work as well.

You want some S in your swell so I would look to the shoulder seasons, early spring and fall when you might get something from the southern hemi. I would stay away from June.

The one time I did get waves was at the end of March...and its a sick place with a bigger swell!!!

If you go in the spring invest in a small kite and a down jacket its freaking cold after being in the water all day and the wind never stops blowing Smile

hilton

Since 15 Aug 2008
787 Posts

Opinionated

PostSat Apr 11, 15 8:01 pm     Reply with quote

San Carlos is awesome and SoloSports will certainly spoil you.

I have been 3 times, always in October, and had wind and waves every time.
The Fall is warmer than Spring, shorty weather or just a short sleeve long leg 3mm suit most days for me.
Just relax and have fun with Solo Sports. Everything you need is just steps away - gear, food, beer, shower, bed, etc.

https://vimeo.com/81893045

https://vimeo.com/82128041

skideeppow

Since 26 Aug 2011
518 Posts

Addicted

PostSun Apr 12, 15 6:12 am     Reply with quote

Thanks, great info. Will hopefully be booking a trip in Oct

skideeppow

Since 26 Aug 2011
518 Posts

Addicted

PostSun Sep 06, 15 5:35 am     Reply with quote

Heading down last week of sept. So suggestions on wetsuits? shorty? Full 3/2 or 4/3 or both?
Thanks for the info

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1470 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostMon Sep 07, 15 7:24 am     Reply with quote

take all 3 wetsuits.

knotwindy

Since 25 Sep 2011
598 Posts

Addicted

PostMon Sep 07, 15 6:21 pm     Reply with quote

any one know how much are the fishermen charging to haul you back in these days? Embarassed

BCD131

Since 26 Mar 2013
31 Posts

PostTue Sep 08, 15 8:15 am     Reply with quote

$60

unbob

Since 31 Aug 2008
260 Posts
'da Gorge/LaV
Obsessed

PostTue Sep 08, 15 2:40 pm     Reply with quote

Time to be there now! Someone's having fun!

"Although Linda is forecast to remain well offshore of the Baja California peninsula, large swells are expected to affect portions of the west coast of that peninsula during the next few days."

http://www.eebmike.com/

Pete

Since 29 Oct 2007
829 Posts

Opinionated

PostTue Sep 08, 15 3:15 pm     Reply with quote

unbob wrote:
Time to be there now! Someone's having fun!

"Although Linda is forecast to remain well offshore of the Baja California peninsula, large swells are expected to affect portions of the west coast of that peninsula during the next few days."

http://www.eebmike.com/

Except that it likely has killed, and will continue to kill the wind all week. Probably good surfing, but I don't think anyone will be kiting there for a while.

skideeppow

Since 26 Aug 2011
518 Posts

Addicted

PostSun Sep 13, 15 4:36 pm     Reply with quote

How about nighttime temps? You need down?

Pete

Since 29 Oct 2007
829 Posts

Opinionated

PostSun Sep 13, 15 6:58 pm     Reply with quote

skideeppow wrote:
How about nighttime temps? You need down?

It can get really cold at night, but it is definitely colder in the spring.

I always bring a down jacket myself. Been cold there too many times to not be prepared for the worst.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: