Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Ever flown the 4.5M RPM?
Page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
toddjb

Since 16 Oct 2007
271 Posts
MD
Obsessed

PostTue Mar 31, 15 10:39 am    Ever flown the 4.5M RPM? Reply with quote

I searched around a bit and couldn't find any rider feedback on the 4.5M RPM.

At 185 lbs, I was wondering if this kite will be a bottom of the bag novelty or something I'd enjoy on high wind days. Currently my small kite is a 7M RPM and I find I get blown off it when the wind is low to mid 30s (mph) with gusts to low 40s.

I wasn't sure if the 4.5M would cover me in the gusts but then I'd be sinking back down at lower 30s. I'd ride whatever board the conditions called for (directional or twin)

This is not the normal wind I ride in, but a few times a year I find myself in higher wind conditions and wanted to throw a small kite in the bottom of the bag for those nuclear days.

Is a 6M RPM a better call?

Note - I used to have a 2011 6M Rally and I didn't like that in ballistic wind, although I love the larger Rally sizes. But, I haven't tried the 6 in the new Rally design (2013-2015).

Thanks for any tips! Thumb's Up

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1470 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostTue Mar 31, 15 11:35 am     Reply with quote

I'm also 185 pounds and I live in HR and kite 100 days a year.
I have 6, 8, RPM and 10, 12 Rally.
My wife has the 4.5.
In 4 years I've used it 3 times (wind gusting over 50). It was a novelty to kite in that much wind and swell but it wasn't really that much fun,
It takes a lot of wind for me to be over powered on my 6 RPM.
My wife (120 pounds) loves the 4.5 and gets a lot of use from it.
By the way - the 6m RPM is my favorite Slingshot kite.
If you live in the gorge, don't have a job, can kite everyday it's windy, and you're willing to drive to Arlington whenever it blasts out east..... you might use it 3 days a year.

toddjb

Since 16 Oct 2007
271 Posts
MD
Obsessed

PostTue Mar 31, 15 11:49 am     Reply with quote

ldhr, perfect. Thanks.

I kite a lot less than you.

Doesn't sound like the 4.5 would get much action other than impressing the ladies. No, not that way...

Sella

Since 21 Apr 2007
1794 Posts
Doin' The Dalles
FLY'IN HIGH PIE GUY

PostTue Mar 31, 15 11:51 am     Reply with quote

The 6m is the better call IMO. My experience with the 4.5m is exactly the same as Lairds; a good wife/kid/trainer kite but if the 6m is too much for the conditions....the conditions just aren't that fun. (gusting into 50's) I'm 195 lb.

My 4.5M RPM does fly really clean. For the 80 - 130 pound crowd it's a bullet proof little kite.

Flowtom

Since 10 Apr 2006
247 Posts

Stoked

PostTue Mar 31, 15 1:10 pm    SAME SAME RPM 4.5 Reply with quote

HOWEVER, WHEN ITS OVER 45 MPH ITS KITE BOARDING LITE. VERY EASY. NOT GRIPPPED, NO HARNESS TUGGIN JUST SMOOTH & COMFORTABLE. DOESNT LET YOU DOWN NICE WHEN YOU BOOST.

Gman

Since 11 Feb 2006
4907 Posts
Portland
Unstrapped

PostTue Mar 31, 15 2:58 pm     Reply with quote

"7M RPM and I find I get blown off it when the wind is low to mid 30s (mph) with gusts to low 40s."

Fun doesn't start til 40mph to 50mph (the 4.5rpm makes me psyched to chase those conditions)

then the fun quickly stops being fun 50 to 60+

you prob get more use out of 6m...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eu2pBpQolKE

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1470 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostTue Mar 31, 15 3:05 pm     Reply with quote

Gman- how much do you weigh soaking wet with wetsuit and sneakers? Cool

Gman

Since 11 Feb 2006
4907 Posts
Portland
Unstrapped

PostTue Mar 31, 15 4:32 pm     Reply with quote

185 give or take 30...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eu2pBpQolKE

jeffwestco

Since 21 Jan 2014
23 Posts

PostTue Mar 31, 15 5:36 pm     Reply with quote

Hey Todd,
Jeff (Colorado) here.

My nuker is a 4.5 RPM; that is what I was using the second half of the rabbit ears snow kiting video I sent to you and Marty a couple months ago.

So far I've only used it land boarding and snow kiting and it is an absolute trip when there is enough wind for it. I suspect I may get a day here and there on water but that is due to 40+mph Wyoming winds are not uncommon and can be quite steady.

Every one else's assessment of being a "rare user" is certainly true

My two cents Very Happy

eric

Since 13 Jan 2006
1803 Posts

XTreme Poster

PostTue Mar 31, 15 6:39 pm     Reply with quote

I'm 190. I have had a 4.5 for several years. My kids use it all the time. Me? Maybe 3x/yr. I have summers off so perhaps kite 50-80 days per year. My go to kite is a 6m RPM which I use as often as I possibly can--often in too little wind, as I love that size. Gusts to 40 are no problem. Over 40 and I'm strapping it down. Over 50 and I'm on the 4.5 if I can wrestle it from my kid(s).

We have three 6m RPMS in our family and it's everyone's favorite for strapless riding, which is all we do. I think a 6 is a must have for folks our size in The Gorge.

Eric

ulx

Since 21 Nov 2008
16 Posts

PostWed Apr 01, 15 5:39 am     Reply with quote

I have a 2010 4.5 rpm for some years now. It was really cheap, so I thought, why not. I use it only a few times each year, too, but I absolutely love those days. I ride strapless surfboards and love airs/rotations in this kind of wind. For me, it starts being fun around average 30 knots. Me being around 175 lbs.

deminimis

Since 15 Jul 2014
326 Posts
On the Rocks
Obsessed

PostWed Apr 01, 15 8:06 am     Reply with quote

I got my nugget a 4.5. At 12yo, he's still under 100# and has dragged with it once. As he gets better, I suspect it will be his go-to kite. Crazy little kite. At 2 bills+, I'll never get to use it. If you've got the $ burning a hole, why not? You know...just in case.

Slappysan

Since 13 Jun 2012
308 Posts

Obsessed

PostWed Apr 01, 15 8:28 am     Reply with quote

You see quite a few 4.5 RPMs up at Locust in Bellingham Bay, always paired with a SB though. I use my 5m OR Prodigy in those winds.

redbird

Since 02 Jul 2008
25 Posts

PostWed Apr 01, 15 10:41 am    4.5 for over 50? Reply with quote

thats when my 9m really shines!

sentone

Since 10 Feb 2006
66 Posts

PostWed Apr 01, 15 11:08 am     Reply with quote

hello, im just shy of 200 lbs,i ride waves only,strapped,no leash,my go to quiver is 6-10 rallys,with lots of boards...floaters, sinkers, and back ups for the a team ones,this winter was strange and we had lots of super nuts fronts,after getting blown up a few times on a choked 6 with 1/2 strap or more.....i had a 4.5 rpm sent over....keep in mind when its 4.5 weather ....its next level stuff...opening your car door,launching, everything takes a new outlook.....that being said ,there's nothing like having the right tool for the right job being able to ride your kite proper, deep in the window ,lit,when the white ghost blows by is worth the price of admission,nothing worse for a wind addict then not going out because its to windy.....my 4.5 has no pulleys ,direct feel and is not as caffeinated as most small kites, which is nice because when its that windy kite speed imo isn't much a factor , if you have a small bar, try kite only, my 6 bar fits the 4.5,, i also use small kites for dirt boarding,and might try a foil this summer when the surf goes away.....if your small kite is a 7 you might want to look at the rally 5 if you feel the 4,5 is to small, best of luck be safe have FUN...............

toddjb

Since 16 Oct 2007
271 Posts
MD
Obsessed

PostWed Apr 01, 15 12:00 pm     Reply with quote

Really great feedback from everyone, thanks.

I'm buying a 6M RPM. I think that should handle anything I'll want to kite.

If this thread makes anyone consider the 4.5M RPM, SS has a 2013 4.5M Complete on sale for a good price. At those wind speeds I'd rather have a new or newer kite...IMO you don't want a pigtail breaking or bladder blowing out on a kite with unknown history!

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2053 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostWed Apr 01, 15 12:26 pm     Reply with quote

toddjb wrote:
At those wind speeds I'd rather have a new or newer kite...IMO you don't want a pigtail breaking or bladder blowing out on a kite with unknown history!

Good instincts and or thought process. I think with those kinds of winds and the the gusts and lulls associated with that kind of very strong wind can really (aka variances) work the kite, its stitching and construction.

Exclamation Very Happy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: