Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Performance tracker for kiteboarding - WOO vs Xensr
Page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
sromano1995

Since 22 May 2013
240 Posts
Portland
Stoked

PostThu Mar 19, 15 12:40 pm    Performance tracker for kiteboarding - WOO vs Xensr Reply with quote

If you are an avid runner or cyclist, and you are on the market for a new performance tracker, you have the choice between a plethora of electronic devices varying in cost and functionality measuring parameters such as speed, pace, distance, etc...Most of these devices are fairly cheap now and, in many cases, you can simply use your smart phone (with a well designed App) to get most of this information and instantly store and share your performance data to your social network.

When it comes to kiteboarding, until now, you had very few to no option to track your performance. Of course, you could always use a GPS equipped watch and/or other device designed for the previously mentioned markets to get your max speed, average speed, distance, etc...but these metrics don't give you a complete picture of your session, especially if you are a freestyle/wakestyle kiteboarder and jumping/tricks is your thing.

Several companies have tried over the years to bring kinematics sensing devices to the sport of snowboarding and kiteboarding to capture jump and tricks and most of them have either failed or ended (ShadowBox, Burton/Nokia Push project, ...) One of the obvious reasons for their failure is the fact that the kiteboarding/snowboarding/wakeboarding markets are small markets for this category of devices (consumer electronic products). Bringing an electronic product at the right price point and with the right functionality for this type of market is no small feat.

Now, with the explosion of Smart Connected Products coming with the Internet of Things information technology wave, sophisticated sensor technology (gyroscope, accelerometers, GPS,... ) are getting much more affordable allowing device manufacturers to develop specialized consumer products at a much better price point.

Today, Xensr and WOO Sports seem to be the two players in that niche kiteboarding market providing sensor technology that allows us to measure jump performance (height and airtime).

Xensr, with their iPhone adapter sensor has made the Hood River Huck Fest competition possible over the past couple of years. I had the opportunity to be part of this event and it was great to be able to use this technology for a few minutes. Based on Xensr's website, I understand that Xensr is now working on releasing a bluetooth enabled version of their device (XensrAir), similar to the WOO, that will mount on the board. That's fantastic, as being required to bring a phone with me during my sessions was the main reason why I decided not to buy Xensr's initial device. However, it's a bit unclear when the new version of the device will actually be available and shipped.

WOO Sports released their product several months ago and as many of you have seen, they were the one of the official sponsors of the King of the Air competition. After years of interest on this topic, and after seeing that event last month, I finally decided to order a WOO and received it last week.

The conditions earlier this week at Rooster Rock were good (moderate wind) to get my first session with the device. I decided to record the session and share some of the things that I learned about the device.

If you are intrigued by the topic and have been considering getting a WOO, you may find this video useful and you may be able to handle the associated 8 min and 32 seconds of it Wink

https://vimeo.com/122611828

I personally think that WOO Sports has nailed it with this very simple/clean device focusing on two very simple metrics: jump height and airtime (which are nonetheless incredibly complex to measure in real time in a sport where the spatial orientation of the board is constantly changing) and by bringing this device to market at less than $200. It seems to work great and I intend to use it for all my sessions.

It will be certainly very interesting to see how WOO Sports and Xesnr evolve over the years and I personally hope that they are both successful. It is ultimately in the interest of the kiteboarding community to have not only kite options but also performance tracker options.

Last edited by sromano1995 on Thu Mar 19, 15 6:46 pm; edited 3 times in total

Wind Slither

Since 04 Mar 2005
2570 Posts
The 503
METAL

PostThu Mar 19, 15 2:56 pm    Endless possibilities Reply with quote

Cool, so we have a sensor for Danglers...now we need one for Wake Stylers and the strapless crowd to measure self-righteousness!
Laughing Drunk

Oh, and one for surfers to measure crabbiness and self-entitlement...hey that could be marketed toward windsurfers too!
Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Drunk

Maybe one to measure the stagnation of my kiting skills?
Crying or Very sad

muthergoose

Since 14 Oct 2013
169 Posts
East Couve
Stoked

PostMon Mar 23, 15 5:39 am     Reply with quote

ha. would be interesting to see how high those "dude i was at least 50ft" jumps really are...

C Johnson

Since 17 Apr 2009
853 Posts
Seattle
Opinionated

PostSun Mar 29, 15 6:04 pm     Reply with quote

we need android support!

J.P.

Since 10 Mar 2005
638 Posts

Addicted

PostWed Apr 01, 15 1:55 pm    Re: Endless possibilities Reply with quote

Wind Slither wrote:
Cool, so we have a sensor for Danglers...now we need one for Wake Stylers and the strapless crowd to measure self-righteousness!
Laughing Drunk

Oh, and one for surfers to measure crabbiness and self-entitlement...hey that could be marketed toward windsurfers too!
Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Drunk

Maybe one to measure the stagnation of my kiting skills?
Crying or Very sad

LMAO!!!

UPWIND LAUNCH OF A SPORT

We Test Kites

Since 06 Feb 2016
28 Posts

PostSat Feb 13, 16 2:31 am    WOO vs Xensr Reply with quote

We did some comparing of the two;
see
http://www.wetestkites.com/2016/01/30/xensr-vs-woo-2-air-time-and-g-force/
and
http://www.wetestkites.com/2016/01/29/xensr-vs-woo-sports/

Dave
We Test KItes

consumer

Since 28 Nov 2010
406 Posts
banned
Obsessed

PostSat Feb 13, 16 7:20 am     Reply with quote

that is amazing data!

looks like the woo has the edge at first glance.

jerp

Since 22 Feb 2013
450 Posts

Obsessed

PostSat Feb 13, 16 8:01 am    Re: WOO vs Xensr Reply with quote

We Test Kites wrote:
see
and

Dave
We Test KItes

awesome review .. love the data approach.

ps also love the reviews you guys do on kites

We Test Kites

Since 06 Feb 2016
28 Posts

PostSat Feb 13, 16 9:35 am    Re: WOO vs Xensr Reply with quote

jerp wrote:
We Test Kites wrote:
see
and

Dave
We Test KItes

awesome review .. love the data approach.

ps also love the reviews you guys do on kites

Thanks!
Dave

jerp

Since 22 Feb 2013
450 Posts

Obsessed

PostSat Feb 13, 16 5:39 pm     Reply with quote

Sent you a pm. Was hoping you could help with a kite question.

taycar

Since 11 Jan 2010
110 Posts
HR
Stoked

PostSun Feb 14, 16 11:54 am    Re: WOO vs Xensr Reply with quote

There are some flaws in your statistical analysis from the data collected by the two products. I have a background in statistics and can help out in the future. How you attempted to use regression to show the relationship between the two devices needs some help. PM me

We Test Kites wrote:
see
and

Dave
We Test KItes

consumer

Since 28 Nov 2010
406 Posts
banned
Obsessed

PostSun Feb 14, 16 9:07 pm    Re: WOO vs Xensr Reply with quote

taycar wrote:
There are some flaws in your statistical analysis from the data collected by the two products. I have a background in statistics and can help out in the future. How you attempted to use regression to show the relationship between the two devices needs some help. PM me

We Test Kites wrote:
see
and

Dave
We Test KItes

I think styling the woo and xensr points differently would have made it clearer, too.

exWOO

Since 10 Aug 2016
1 Posts

PostFri Aug 12, 16 2:26 am    Re: WOO vs Xensr Reply with quote

Normally, I would say that WOO surely must be better since I’ve worked on its software and know what's in there. But as a WOO ex-worker that has been unpaid for a couple of months of their work, I guess it’s safer to go with the other guys device. If a company doesn’t pay their people, it might mean they are not going to survive much longer.
All the best,
Concerned ex-WOO

wylieflyote

Since 30 Jun 2006
1634 Posts
Puget Sound & Wa. Coast
XTreme Poster

PostFri Aug 12, 16 5:14 am     Reply with quote

The Trace brand devices were used during KB4C to track, and offered on sale that day. (all profits given to the cause) I'm very happy with mine, and look forward to the day when I can actually jump a foil and test this out. The one small detail that sold me on the Trace is that the rep promised it will load a map of rural Mexico when I'm there every winter.
As you'll see in the video Trace has an interface with your GoPro, loading all your stats.
Unlike the WOO, the Trace loads both jumps and gps tracks.
http://www.traceup.com/

macgruber

Since 06 Dec 2011
490 Posts
SE PDX volcano
Obsessed

PostFri Aug 12, 16 5:34 am    Trace Reply with quote

Got the Trace and it works as well as the Woo but adds the gps mapping and GoPro syncing. You can tell exactly where you were jumping big or going fast. I can't wait to try it surfing and SUPing too. Bought it at Big Winds for $200, same as the Woo. I think the mounts are superior, and their phone app is all that I need. The only downside seems to be that Woo has more users for their leaderboard

sromano1995

Since 22 May 2013
240 Posts
Portland
Stoked

PostFri Aug 12, 16 8:08 am     Reply with quote

I started this thread over one year ago as the WOO was just coming to market and it was a very exiciting time to see this type of technology become mainstream in the sport. It's clear that a lot as change since and I am chocked by the number of players who have entered this tiny market of kiteboarding sport tracking. The latest one being PIQ (https://www.piq.com/us). It's clear that none of these companies will survive unless they branch very quickly to other sports, which is clearly part of all these companies business plan.

But here is my latest view on the topic: what was initially a very exciting, motivational and thrilling, tracking and getting involved in the social-media aspect of jumping, started to get actually quite boring and somewhat frustrating after I reached my "jumping plateau" (max jump height ever reached). Furthermore, I found that when using a sensor, I was spending the majority of my session trying to jump higher and higher but all this at the expense of time practicing and improving in other areas (freestyle, wakestyle)... I think my interest will come back when these sensors can actually identify and track some of the freestyle and wakestyle tricks in kiteboarding. I know WOO is working in that direction as they are developing the WOO for the Wakeboarding market and I am sure all the other companies are following in that direction. Once again, it will be interesting to see how much investors are willing to throw at this to see it through...

macgruber

Since 06 Dec 2011
490 Posts
SE PDX volcano
Obsessed

PostFri Aug 12, 16 10:26 am     Reply with quote

I'm not sure I'll use it but the Trace syncs with Gopros to give height and speed data to the GoPro video. Probably best on a tripod though instead of POV. I'm interested in surfing with it and seeing the distance and speed of my rides. Hopefully will work well for skiing too.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: