Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Directional for beginner

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
jmmorford

Since 26 Oct 2009
21 Posts

PostThu Feb 05, 15 4:10 pm    Directional for beginner Reply with quote

I want to learn to ride a surf board. I'm a competent intermediate kiter, happy in Gorge chop and small waves at the coast. I do not know how to surf, however; and I don't know jack about surf boards. But I sure want to learn. I weigh around 155 and I'm really old.

What's a good surf board for someone just starting on a directional? What should I care about? Length? Width? Rocker? Cool graphics?

My preference will be to get something used.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions. Specific suggestions greatly appreciated.

macgruber

Since 06 Dec 2011
490 Posts
SE PDX volcano
Obsessed

PostThu Feb 05, 15 7:26 pm     Reply with quote

I learned on an 5'7" 2010ish Slingshot Celeritas and still like it for strapped jumping. It's pretty indestructible, planes quickly at around 19" wide and not much rocker. I have the 2013 5'8" Celeritas and like it too but it is not quite as bomber construction. Both work great in the Gorge, but can pearl on overhead coastal waves. I have a 5'11" Tyrant which works in big waves but is a little slower to start since it has more rocker and is closer to 18" wide with a skinnier tail. The board I learned strapless on is the Slingshot Dialer. It's super floaty, wide and makes a stable platform for learning strapless gybes. I still use it for my light wind setup but it's too big for most coastal waves and too bouncy/slappy for the average Gorge day. I don't often bring it with me anymore.

I found it easiest to learn to ride the Celeritas strapped and just go toeside instead of gybing my feet for my first couple hours. Then I switched to the Dialer without straps to learn gybing (it's actually easier since straps get in the way) for a couple hours. Then I put on the straps super big for a couple hours and could make roughly half my gybes. Switching back to the strapped Celeritas, I rode much better but only made a quarter of my gybes at first but got up to 75 percent after a couple hours.

I'm 170lbs, and for your weight I wouldn't get anything over 5'8". The Celeritas comes in 5'6" too and might be best as a solo board but I think the 5'8" would be a good light wind board for you. If you're local I'd lend you the Dialer for a few days, I'm in SE Portland. Make sure you can ride toeside and do carving transitions with your twin tip first. Having the floatation and surfboard nose of any directional make bigger days at the coast much more friendly!

Slappysan

Since 13 Jun 2012
308 Posts

Obsessed

PostFri Feb 06, 15 12:03 pm     Reply with quote

I learned on a Slingshot SP (wake construction). It's crazy wide and super stable, likes to ride slow and you can take all day to complete your gybes. You get get them for $400 in kite construction and $340 in the wake construction from slingshot.

Now I ride a Shinnster as my directional. It's a fun and versatile surfboard that you don't have to baby as it's made like a snowboard (it's the same board as the BRM Paipo). You could start with it as a first board but it's no where near as stable as the SP and likes to go fast. You can get them from silent sports for $320 if you get a factory 2nd ($400 CDN). Shipping might be pricey though.

I've heard nothing but good things about the Celeritas 5-8 though, and one day I'll probably pick one up. If you want to ride strapped it's they way to go.

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2053 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostFri Feb 06, 15 12:09 pm    Re: Directional for beginner Reply with quote

jmmorford wrote:
I want to learn to ride a surf board. I'm a competent intermediate kiter, happy in Gorge chop and small waves at the coast. I do not know how to surf, however; and I don't know jack about surf boards. But I sure want to learn. I weigh around 155 and I'm really old.

What's a good surf board for someone just starting on a directional? What should I care about? Length? Width? Rocker? Cool graphics?

My preference will be to get something used.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions. Specific suggestions greatly appreciated.

How proficient are you at riding toe-side on your twin tip? Master that first I'd say before getting a surfboard.

Matt V

Since 26 Oct 2014
462 Posts
Summer- OR Coast, Winter - My van near good snow
Explosive Diarrhea

PostFri Feb 06, 15 4:46 pm     Reply with quote

I came from windsurfing into water kiting. I never really tried toeside on a twin-tip before I bought my first directional. I had a hard time learning jibes on our local lake but picked it up pretty quick once I got into good wind. So toeside on a twin-tip was not a pre-req for directionals for me.

I kind of think that if you came from windsurfing and could jibe a short board, you really do not need to ride toeside with a twin first.

And to me, given the difference of position of your feet on a surfboard vs twin, twin-tip toeside is completely different than surfboard toeside. - surfboard toeside being no challenge at all vs twin-tip being a big challenge for a first timer.

Again, windsurfing background may have influenced this.

knotwindy

Since 25 Sep 2011
598 Posts

Addicted

PostFri Feb 06, 15 5:30 pm     Reply with quote

Get on Craigslist and find any old board about 5'8 to 6'1 and at least 18 wide for cheap and ride it until it breaks or delams and have fun and don't worry about it. Repeat until you can tell the difference between boards and decide what kind of style you are developing and then spend some real money on a board you have demo'd and love. IMO.

bigjohn

Since 13 Mar 2012
663 Posts

Addicted

PostFri Feb 06, 15 6:59 pm     Reply with quote

+1 for knotwindy

What ever board you get, your body will adapt and you will learn to make that board work. Once you get used to your board, when you try other boards you will always think your board is better.... At least this is the way it is for me.

It's funny when I switch between boards I own, there is always a transition period where I don't like my new choice... Then I get used to it, and suddenly it's my favorite board.

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1470 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostFri Feb 06, 15 7:31 pm     Reply with quote

look for one that's neither too long - over 6'0".....
or too short - less than 5.8".....
or too narrow - less than 18" wide....
or too fat - more than 20 inch wide......
what's left is a 5'8 - 6'0" board, 18 - 20 inches wide.
if you're old and not a skateboarder or surfer - you'll probably want straps.
I learned to kite after 25 years of windsurfing.
I switched to a surfboard, but only after I mastered toe side riding and carving transitions on the twin tip. The switch to a surfboard took me 5 minutes to learn.
I ride with my left foot forward 75% of the time.
The only time I gybe and switch my feet is when I'm beating upwind. Going back and forth and riding swell I rarely switch my stance.
The Slingshot Celeritas is my favorite. The 5'8" would be a perfect first board.
If you were young, athletic, and had experience surfing or skateboarding - I'd recommend a 5'6".

jmmorford

Since 26 Oct 2009
21 Posts

PostFri Feb 06, 15 8:46 pm     Reply with quote

Thanks for all the suggestions. This was exactly the advice I was seeking. And yes, I'm perfectly comfortable toe side and doing transitions to or from toe side. It never occurred to me to start without straps, but I can see how that might make transitions easier. Since ski season is such a bust this year, I can't wait to get on the river.

eabmoto

Since 10 May 2012
106 Posts
seattle
Stoked

PostSat Feb 07, 15 12:23 pm     Reply with quote

If your goal is to ride a surf board strapless, there's no reason to start with straps. It's not hard, it will just feel strange at first and you'll have to figure out foot placement, but that won't happen till you don't have the straps. And, switching your feet is way easier without them. But, everyone's got to do their own thing, and in the end, there's really no wrong way.

unbob

Since 31 Aug 2008
260 Posts
'da Gorge/LaV
Obsessed

PostSat Feb 28, 15 7:56 am     Reply with quote

eabmoto wrote:
If your goal is to ride a surf board strapless, there's no reason to start with straps. It's not hard, it will just feel strange at first and you'll have to figure out foot placement, but that won't happen till you don't have the straps. And, switching your feet is way easier without them. But, everyone's got to do their own thing, and in the end, there's really no wrong way.
Totally agree. I never enjoyed toeside riding a TT and discovered it's way easier on a surfboard.

My goal has been to learn to ride strapless and I've spent the last 3 months doing just that. I'm an "old" guy too (175 lbs) and I've been learning on a Cabrinha Secret Weapon 5'6" - it's been perfect as a learning board - 19.7" wide with a fat nose and tail. I did'nt like the cheap GFN fins that came with the board (too soft and flexy) - so I installed Josh Mulcoy Honeycomb Fins (#1215-105-50) and it's perfect. The SW is a bit heavy (compared to a Whip or Celeritas) but it performs beautifully in the chop and swell. Not twitchy and bouncy like lighter boards - again, perfect for learning to ride strapless. Very predictable and stable.

For a lightweight rider (160lbs or less) I'd go with the 5'2" SW - same width (19.7") with 2L less volume.

wylieflyote

Since 30 Jun 2006
1634 Posts
Puget Sound & Wa. Coast
XTreme Poster

PostSat Feb 28, 15 2:31 pm     Reply with quote

Hyjack, You can pick up my North Whip 2012 5'8" in April when I return from Mexico. Super nice & easy board to get comfortable with as your first directional. I purchased it thinking 5'8" is a shorty and would present some additional ride challenges to a noob. Not so. The North that year was designed as a One Size where all models were 5'8" and this one of mine happens to be the large.. which mean it has more volume for your less-than-perfect first attempts at jibes. But for fun this 5'8" length gives you the of snappy turns and heal grinds. Quad fin for up-wind driving confidence. Fun.
I'm driving north in the last week of April and can deliver to Hood River, Portland, Seattle. Thinking $300OBO
http://bigwindsblog.com/2012/03/04/2012-north-whip/
PM Me.
Kip

C Johnson

Since 17 Apr 2009
853 Posts
Seattle
Opinionated

PostMon Mar 02, 15 9:07 pm     Reply with quote

(warning, I have an affiliation with Cabrinha)

+1 on the secret weapon.

I'm 215lbs and my weight would suggest that I ride the 5'6" but I bought the 5'2" due to other riders feedback. I've been having a blast on it.

I run F4 Future V2 glass resin fins on mine. I feel like the V2's are a little slower but really snap in turns and the resin fins flex more which smooths out riding in choppy conditions.

I'm not sure where you're based out of but board selection is a pretty personal thing so I'd highly recommend finding a demo board from your local shop to try first.

My last recommendation. Use booties (they help your feet stick) and as far as the wax vs traction pad debate. I use both. traction pad with sticky bumps punt wax rubbed on it. It really helps!

Link

unbob wrote:
eabmoto wrote:
Totally agree. I never enjoyed toeside riding a TT and discovered it's way easier on a surfboard.

My goal has been to learn to ride strapless and I've spent the last 3 months doing just that. I'm an "old" guy too (175 lbs) and I've been learning on a Cabrinha Secret Weapon 5'6" - it's been perfect as a learning board - 19.7" wide with a fat nose and tail. I did'nt like the cheap GFN fins that came with the board (too soft and flexy) - so I installed Josh Mulcoy Honeycomb Fins (#1215-105-50) and it's perfect. The SW is a bit heavy (compared to a Whip or Celeritas) but it performs beautifully in the chop and swell. Not twitchy and bouncy like lighter boards - again, perfect for learning to ride strapless. Very predictable and stable.

For a lightweight rider (160lbs or less) I'd go with the 5'2" SW - same width (19.7") with 2L less volume.

Matt V

Since 26 Oct 2014
462 Posts
Summer- OR Coast, Winter - My van near good snow
Explosive Diarrhea

PostTue Mar 03, 15 11:47 am     Reply with quote

2012 North whip is my favorite board and I wish they still made that shape/fin combo. I describe it as "epileptic" in feel. It was the board that stopped me from selling my kite gear and going back to windsurfing. Back then, twin tips and the surfboards I had tried just did not impress me over windsurfing. The bad thing about this board at my weight is that it just does not get upwind well in crappy inland winds. Jibing this board is also no where as easy as anyone else is saying. The only board I have ever ridden that jibes somewhat worse is the board I use all the time now (LF kitefish w/quad fin setup). Please remember that my proving grounds are fluky inland winds. I am also not happy with the junk fin boxes that I found in the board when I opened it for repair. Definitely not a Futures product. Bad parts aside, over 20knots, it is the board for me to have more fun than any other board.

At 220lbs and being my first new surfboard, I trashed it. Flat landings and riding in 4" of water will destroy any board (except the LF Kitefish or maybe a Doyle board). I cracked the deck at the front foot and had to repair/reinforce it. Then the back foot caved in a bit. And last year out at Manzanita, I cracked all 4 fin boxes. My plan is to glue in the fins, add some layers of glass to the deck, and use it as my jumping board. No other board, twin-tip or directional, jumps higher than this one.

Although I use the kitefish almost exclusively now, I cannot reccomend it as a board to keep you excited about kiting if like me, you want a snappy feel. So go with Wylie's 2012 whip and get a Kitefish once you destroy that board.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: