Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Switch kites

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Nehersy

Since 05 Oct 2014
19 Posts
Walla Walla

PostWed Jan 28, 15 10:29 pm    Switch kites Reply with quote

Has anyone used this brand? They seem priced to good to be true. Let me know your thoughts.

http://switchkites.com

dwaynej

Since 09 Sep 2013
207 Posts

Stoked

CGKA Member

PostWed Jan 28, 15 11:43 pm     Reply with quote

They are fine. Quite a few of them here in socal. They have a pretty good return policy so certainly there is an opportunity to test and return quickly if you do not like it.

jasonq

Since 12 Jan 2009
242 Posts
hood river
Stoked

PostThu Jan 29, 15 8:41 am     Reply with quote

I have an element3 11m. I used it with a LF bar. only 2 days on it last fall, so can't speak for the long term durability. That said, i'm impressed with the construction quality and polish, seems as good as the big brands.

Design wise, the kite is quite nice. relative to my 2011 LF envy's, they have about the same bar pressure, slightly more depower with bar throw, better high end, worse low end (basically maybe a .5m effective shift, but the same total range). turns better when really depowered. Relaunch is good. The only negative i have experienced is one day the wind died and got holey on my way back to the event site, it had a slight tendency to backstall in the big holes if oversheeted <edit, after more time on the kite, i have not seen this again, and it was due to the wind dying and kite barely staying in the air>. Sheet out and turn, and the kite flew out of the stall just easily, but seemed a bit more prone to back stalls than some other kites i've flown. this was a challenging kite back, and i made it without dropping the kite in the water, many didn't keep the kite up, so i don't think this is a big deal. the boston inflation valve is not as nice as the LF max flow, but much better than 9mm nipples. basically, after 2 days, i'm happy with it.

the kite bag is super nice, but you don't have to buy one, which is nice too. The boston inflation value uses an unusual nipple that is hard to find seperately, but switch sells them cheap, buy a few extra at the same time as the kite since shipping will be free with the kite, and skip buying a pump you likely don't need.

i think the return policy is 30 days from their ship date, and shipping from hong kong took about a week, and you have to pick up at the post office, but i didn't have to pay customs. So you'd have about 2-3 weeks to try it, before needed to return it. I think you are on the hook for return shipping to hong kong.

Last edited by jasonq on Fri Jun 19, 15 10:06 am; edited 1 time in total

dangler

Since 26 Feb 2006
1742 Posts
WINDY SPOTS
XTreme Poster

PostThu Jan 29, 15 12:18 pm    Nice fooking kit Reply with quote

Very well made kites. FYI you old windskippers, the designer is that ex Wndwing genius Bill Hansen. Bill knows how to make shit last and fly like a bat outta hell. Same materials and arguably better constructed than the big guys, they sell direct from factory, skipping dealer markup.

CrazyHerb

Since 04 Oct 2008
79 Posts
Ilwaco, WA

PostThu Jan 29, 15 11:41 pm    Switch Reply with quote

Bang for the buck...love my Switch's.
Element 2 15M
Element 3 11M
Helium 18M

Fly all three on a LF bar..
Shipping from HK takes about 10 days...Just got my Helium few days ago, so no flight report yet....set up a special bar on 30m lines.

I've progressed more on my Switch Elements this last year then the last 5 on my old school North Rhinos...but thats's kind of expected.

Only comparison I have is with the Best Cabo, and Slingshot Revs that I was able to ride earlier this year.. I'm still novice on the water so take opinion lightly.. (I primarily landboard)...but water has been taking over lately. Very Happy
The Elements felt like I had more punch/power then the Cabo and rides further forward in the window then the Revs. I love kite looping the Elements, dropping it back in the window and pulling through the horizontal arch...keeping it nice and low...zooom. I haven't had any issues with back-stall (and I ride powered up pretty good) but I did make a 1 inch one knot higher (closer to kite) on the back lines. The factory knots felt WAY sheeted out...

Durability is right on par with other brands, medium bar pressure with good pull through whole turn, decent drift...dunno what else to say...I'm happy, I guess....
Enough to get a good post session "Stoke Face"

If your ever out here at the coast, and see me, your welcome to try mine...

KITE ON!!

Nehersy

Since 05 Oct 2014
19 Posts
Walla Walla

PostSun Feb 01, 15 7:17 am     Reply with quote

Awesome to hear, I just picked up a 8, 10, 12 M nitro 2 kite kite with bar and lines. Can't wait to get out and try them! Thanks for the reviews!

Weaz

Since 23 May 2012
360 Posts
Beaverton
Obsessed

PostSat Feb 07, 15 1:15 am     Reply with quote

I have nitro II kites and love them. I'd get the nitro 4's though if I had to buy again.

jasonq

Since 12 Jan 2009
242 Posts
hood river
Stoked

PostFri Jun 19, 15 10:05 am     Reply with quote

thought i would update my impression of the element3 11m and 9m now that i have more days on them. In a nutshell very good.

After more time on the 11m, i can say with confidence any experience i had with a tendency to backstall was simply that the wind was dying fast and the kite would barely stay in the air. Aside from that day, i have not seen a hint of back stall. I take that comment back entirely.

On wind range, i think they have a better low end than i had originally given them credit for, however i did add another knot on the rear line closer to the kite, and retied the factory knot to keep it in the same location. Essentially the same as the 2011 LF envy's in my quiver. But the high end is a bit better.

so no regrets at all.

rePete

Since 18 Dec 2007
215 Posts
Mosier, Oregon
Stoked

PostFri Jul 03, 15 2:59 pm     Reply with quote

This post got me researching Switch kites and after learning these are a Bill Hansen product and their 30 day refund policy I ordered and received the just released Element 4, 9m. Got it in 8 days. Flown it 3 days, and like it more each time. It so far seems like an excellent product, and the price is incredible! PM me if you'd like more info.

Matt V

Since 26 Oct 2014
462 Posts
Summer- OR Coast, Winter - My van near good snow
Explosive Diarrhea

PostFri Jul 03, 15 6:11 pm     Reply with quote

This bottom feeder is done picking up Best "Kahoona's" on closeout. Hard to find the larger size 13.5 Kahoona's on closeout that is my bread and butter kite back home. Price wise, I can match or beat Kahoonas on closeout with NEW/CURRENT Switch elements.

Over the years, lots of newbies have shown up at our local lake watching me fly my Kahoona's. Some of them purchased Kahoona's just because I was using them with success. I got nothing for my trouble of pimping the Best gear. I have never even met a Best team rider.

Now with the Switch policy for pimping their gear, I can cash in on people going with switch kites that they see me riding. Give them your code to put in when they buy and you get free points toward your next kite. Awesome way to let real world riders promote and get a reward too.

I still love my Best kites, but I really just cannot get them for a reasonable price anymore so Switch it is!

But Switch will have to live up to one requirement. They need to keep the kite feel nearly the same from year to year - OR CHANGE THE MODEL NAME! Lets face it - kite design is as good as it is going to get. For the past 5 years, kite companies have been fixing more things that were never problems than they have been fixing problems. And the problems they have been fixing are the ones they just created with last years new model. Over the last 5 years of gear, I have seen more problems created than solved. As I wear out 1.5 kites in a season, I do not want to have to relearn how to kite again 1.5 times a year. LF almost had me with the Envy's until they made the drastic change of reducing the leading edge diameter. Kahoona's have been tweaked just enough to piss me off when I get a new one, but I could always relearn the new model in a few sessions. Switch has got to keep the same feel from version to version to keep me as a customer.

kitebot

Since 20 Feb 2007
251 Posts

Obsessed

PostSat Jul 04, 15 11:01 am     Reply with quote

Switch to me seems like what Best was 2006-2007, I will probably try them out when my Bests finally die.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: