Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

OT: Geek question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
dangler

Since 26 Feb 2006
1744 Posts
WINDY SPOTS
XTreme Poster

PostTue Dec 30, 14 6:08 pm    OT: Geek question Reply with quote

I broke my laptop, looking at a new one or tablets. Don't do a whole lot on em, not a gamer or video editing guy, mostly download and watch TV with it. that new surface pro looks interesting to me. Recommendations or advice greatly appreciated! Cheers and Happy New Year! Marc

chrissmack

Since 08 Jun 2005
515 Posts
portland
Addicted

PostTue Dec 30, 14 8:51 pm     Reply with quote

marc,

we've got a lenovo yoga 13" laptop for about 18 months. love it.

it's a laptop, screen flips over and acts like a tablet.

solid state drive (so no spinning hard drive) seems more rugged.

they usually have windows 8, some people aren't wild about that.

best buy has a couple of different models, so a range of prices to choose from...

good luck

chris

SalmonSlayer

Since 27 Nov 2005
648 Posts

Addicted

CGKA Member

PostWed Dec 31, 14 9:39 am     Reply with quote

I just bought three Surface Pro 2 Tablets with 128GB for my kids. I really like them but I am not ready to convert the the smaller screen size for my work laptop.

The Surface Pro3 is a bit larger but it is not being sold at a discount right now.

I shopped hard for new and used before buying. I ended up buying "refurbished" (returns) models. I dont generally like buying refurbished models but thses cam directly from Microsoft and included a 1 year warranty.

I worked on the Windows team at Microsoft and am still in contact with many of my former colleagues whose opinion I trust highly. I was told two things. Dont get the Surface with the RT operating system and don't get less than 128 GB. I recommend getting the keyboard too.

This was the absolute best price I could find on a Surface Pro 2 with 128 GB, keyboard and a 1 year warranty. There were other choices used and refurbished from third party sellers that may have been a bit less expensive BUT not with a 1 year warranty and not directly from Microsoft. $600 + tx

It looks like they sold out but I would use this as your benchmark when shopping

Good luck

I am not sure if you can see this link. It does not appear to be an active auction, but I can still see it because it is in my purchase history.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261693084049?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1472 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostWed Dec 31, 14 11:03 am     Reply with quote

$600 and 128gb is a bit of overkill for surfing the web and watching Netflix.
I have a $140 tablet from Walmart with 2 GB and it's great for watching Netflix, email, Pandora, and surfing the web. Useless for anything else...
I use it to stream Netflix to the tv using chromecast.

Last edited by ldhr on Wed Dec 31, 14 2:10 pm; edited 1 time in total

jeremy

Since 18 Aug 2006
273 Posts
Manzo & HR
Obsessed

PostWed Dec 31, 14 12:42 pm    trying an HP Stream 14" myself Reply with quote

I just ordered an HP Stream 14" with Win 8.1, it's like a low-end ultrabook, only $229 at the Microsoft store, check them out. Supposed to have great sound (Beats Audio) and be quiet too (no fans). I plan to stick in a $25 64GB microSD card for internal storage and try it out with a usb 3.0 64GB stick too, maybe hook it up to a high-res display.

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/en_US/pdp/productID.308012500?VID=308012700&srccode=cii_17588969&cpncode=42-23727035-2&WT.mc_id=US_datafeed_Google

I have a 7" tablet which is great for reading the news / email, but a bit small for watching vids. But paired up with a Chromecast stick into the TV, now that's also a good setup for watching vids.

Oh, and if you have the bucks to spend (starting at $950), I'd second the Lenovo Yoga Pro 2 or 3, top-end quality laptop, would love one of those myself.

bigjohn

Since 13 Mar 2012
663 Posts

Addicted

PostWed Dec 31, 14 3:32 pm     Reply with quote

If going the Windows route along with a SSD drive do NOT go smaller than 128 gigs. I've had mine for 1 1/2 years and am already having to resize my recovery partition space... and I install all programs/data on my secondary sata drive.

Also, processor speed doesn't matter... anything new is super fast.

Ram - Bigger is always better. Minimum of 8 gigs required.

Windows 8.x rocks if you learn the quick keys and use desktop mode:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/keyboard-shortcuts#keyboard-shortcuts=windows-8
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Doesn't sound like you need windows for your usage however.

If looking to save some cash Chromebook may be an option. I would consider at least 4 gigs ram if going this direction. Food for thought, your TV experience might not be as enjoyable going the Chromebook route.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Android Tablet is another option
I still use my old motorolla xoom when I travel. I pay $20 for 1 gig/month data with Verizon, and of course you still have WIFI. Also, built in hotspot fuctionality if I want to share my verizon dataplan to a laptop.

Hulu and Netflix work great. I have a bluetooth keyboard which I use occasionally, however it is so small my fingers get confused.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have no input on Apple or Microsoft hardware options as I have no experience.

shred_da_gorge

Since 12 Nov 2008
1256 Posts
Local, not Low Cal
XTreme Poster

PostThu Jan 01, 15 10:11 pm     Reply with quote

I use a 10" Samsung for surfing and streaming (Chromecast) and airplane reading. Probably gonna upgrade to 12" soon (specially since dropping this one - I recommend screen protectors). Bluetooth keyboards are cheap and effective with them too.

Refurbished stuff has treated me OK but it's a gamble.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: