Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Liquid Force Foil Board
Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
stringy

Since 23 Jun 2006
1724 Posts
vancouver
XTreme Poster

PostWed Jan 28, 15 8:54 am     Reply with quote

SpaceRacer wrote:
First off, I do appreciate everyone's candor on this thread and on others pertaining to foiling in that there is a humbling new learning curve associated with it, which will demand patience and stick-to-itiveness from the rider. I am sure that I am asking questions that have been asked before:

1) Is it highly beneficial to first learn behind a boat if possible? If so, any good tips or links on this?

2) Any good tips or links on how to foil?

3) Any good tips or links on safety and self-rescue?

Thanks

I know when I was trying to learn, I had many factors that prevented me from picking it up quickly.
I tried learning last april and the water was still cold.
I tried learning on my prototypes so didn't know what I was doing wrong. or right.
I didn't have anyone experienced that could help me and coach me.
I tried behind a jetski and couldn't stand straight the rest of the afternoon.

as for safety, wear a helmet and pfd/impact vest for protection. leave the foot straps very loose.

foiling behind a boat is good. behind a jetski is harder due to the position on the tow cable.

what I found to work was after I came up with a solid wing design, I found it much easier to learn.
this past summer, I offered a demo hydrofoil at pepi's shop in hood river. bam bam coined it the short bus. it has a foil mounted on a shorter 24" mast so it doesn't pitch you as bad. also there are no sharp edges on the wings. it is a great learning wing. I watched dozens of riders try this wing with great success.
good tips that I teach new riders is to just get used to riding the board without leaving the water. get comfy riding the board and learning how to balance it. remember to keep your weight forward.

Slappysan

Since 13 Jun 2012
308 Posts

Obsessed

PostWed Jan 28, 15 9:15 am     Reply with quote

What are people's thoughts on learning strapless?

SpaceRacer

Since 04 Nov 2007
434 Posts

Obsessed

PostWed Jan 28, 15 10:23 am     Reply with quote

Thanks Stringy. At first, I thought I was not interested. Not interested in another kiting learning curve and still enjoying what I am doing now. On the other hand, I spend my entire spring and summer driving back and forth from Coeur d'Alene to Roosevelt whenever there is wind. Now all of a sudden that little used 1993 17' Sea Ray that I bought two years ago (and wondered why) that bobs up and down on the lake unused all summer can be the perfect training ground during the non Rosey days this summer. It does 35mph. Should I put a ski tower on it lol? A little more stoked to learn this behind a boat than at Rosie.

stringy

Since 23 Jun 2006
1724 Posts
vancouver
XTreme Poster

PostWed Jan 28, 15 10:26 am     Reply with quote

Slappysan wrote:

while I cannot speak for everybody that's tried it, in my opinion you will progress faster with straps.
I'm not saying you can't learn strapless, because I watched Gman learn.
I saw him in straps and it kind of scared me Laughing
from my experience, I found straps really help. when you are trying to manage your kite and putting the board under your feet, straps help with managing the board position more than anything. it's much different than managing a surfboard due to the mast wanting to pull in every direction but the one you want. straps also help you with determining exactly where your feet need to be. not understanding where your feet go makes it very difficult to progress.
with that being said, make sure straps are very loose as you will want to bail when crashing, getting away from your board easily.

chipper

Since 16 Jan 2014
25 Posts
United States

PostWed Jan 28, 15 5:44 pm     Reply with quote

SpaceRacer wrote:
First off, I do appreciate everyone's candor on this thread and on others pertaining to foiling in that there is a humbling new learning curve associated with it, which will demand patience and stick-to-itiveness from the rider. I am sure that I am asking questions that have been asked before:

1) Is it highly beneficial to first learn behind a boat if possible? If so, any good tips or links on this?

2) Any good tips or links on how to foil?

3) Any good tips or links on safety and self-rescue?

Thanks

I would not recommend learning behind a boat. This is how I learned but after trying to teach others this way it seems extremely dangerous. The boat wants to pull you over the front/ side of the board right into the fins/ foil.

Luckily when we tried this we wore a hockey helmet with a cage. 2 people would have lost a bunch of teeth/ broke their jaws if they didn't have the helmet on.

If you do decide to try this wear a helmet that protects your face, not just a kiting helmet. I would recommend a hockey helmet and also a life vest or impact vest to protect your ribs. Also you don't need much speed to get up. with the LF foil only about 8 mph.

Behind a boat will teach you faster since it eliminates having to control the kite/ speed, but it is quite a bit more dangerous.

I am going to be making a how to foil video and tips in the next couple of weeks. Ill let you know when I'm done with it. Really want to help people get the hang of this as quickly and painless as possible, although be prepared to take a beating while learning.

chipper

Since 16 Jan 2014
25 Posts
United States

PostWed Jan 28, 15 5:47 pm     Reply with quote

stringy wrote:
Slappysan wrote:

while I cannot speak for everybody that's tried it, in my opinion you will progress faster with straps.
I'm not saying you can't learn strapless, because I watched Gman learn.

Exactly what stringy said. You really want straps for positioning the board while you are in the water. After getting up they are not needed as much, but still helpful.

You definitely don't want them tight. My first time on the foil I tightened them like a twin tip and almost broke my ankle. the foil made the board go one way and my body/ ankle went the other during a fall.

the straps are there mostly for keeping the board in place when starting

macgruber

Since 06 Dec 2011
490 Posts
SE PDX volcano
Obsessed

PostTue Feb 03, 15 1:29 pm     Reply with quote

There's a used one on ebay right now for 1200 complete. Ends at 4:30

wylieflyote

Since 30 Jun 2006
1634 Posts
Puget Sound & Wa. Coast
XTreme Poster

PostFri Feb 06, 15 3:12 pm     Reply with quote

I've been trying FF strap only on my LF Foil. Still have the benefits of the swimming with board positioning helper, and it allows me to place my weight further forward with adjusting the BF position.
Been wondering about drilling extra tower holes to move it all back? Prolly silly since I haven't a clue of what I'm doing, and Stringy/Tekko say the placement is perfect.

chipper

Since 16 Jan 2014
25 Posts
United States

PostMon Feb 09, 15 8:49 am     Reply with quote

Here is a great intro video to Foilboarding https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gi6rLNtDB1g#t=202

[youtube]gi6rLNtDB1g#t=202[/youtube]

stringy

Since 23 Jun 2006
1724 Posts
vancouver
XTreme Poster

PostMon Feb 09, 15 9:07 am     Reply with quote

kip you might progressed far enough along to start going strapless. by going strapless you can precisely determine your foot positioning.

keep in mind that some riders do have different stance so not all stances work for every rider. joe and ron like to position their back foot exactly over the mast. I have done this but also prefer it set back.

splaterwin

Since 17 Nov 2005
165 Posts
Vancouver
Stoked

PostMon Feb 16, 15 9:39 am     Reply with quote

Got out for the first time riding the new LF Foil Fish on Sunday behind the waverunner. Thanks for the tip of wearing a impact vest and hockey helmet, it did save the teeth. On one of my many crashes the fin hit my throat and did cause some on going discomfort when I swallow. I have ordered a hockey throat protector and shin guards. The shins did take a beating but nothing a little body armor won't help. After a few try's we were able to ride a respectable distance keeping the foil under water. Not so respectable flying the foil. Getting up is pretty easy, slow body drag seemed to work best, staying up on the foil will take more practice. When the water warms we will be at it again, waters a little to cold for my liking. The waverunner rack I built a few years ago worked great for hauling the foil around.

Waverunner foil rack.jpeg 

Gman

Since 11 Feb 2006
4907 Posts
Portland
Unstrapped

PostMon Feb 16, 15 11:03 am     Reply with quote

Yikes!!!

Boat/Jetski wipeouts can be heinous- look forward to sailing with ya when the water gets warmer !

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eu2pBpQolKE

dwaynej

Since 09 Sep 2013
207 Posts

Stoked

CGKA Member

PostTue Feb 17, 15 10:40 am     Reply with quote

I started learning to foil several weeks back - My time on the ocean taught me to bail quickly from the board and IMO, this is the most important lesson to learn first... Bailing early and getting away from the foil.

Yesterday I tried the foil behind a boat for the first time...

Certainly foiling behind a boat is very different to a kite and wake boarding skills are very relevent - The trick to getting up is using the wake boarding skill of tucking up into a ball and rolling onto the board then pointing the board in the right direction while standing all while using all your strength to counter the pull of the boat.

I found once I was up, I was able to focus on foil board technique and overall the effort was worth while, but I would say that if you have a nice wide piece of water and plenty of wind, I would prefer to learn without the boat. No wind or no safe water, and I would certainly use the boat.

Great videos available and the biggest step change for me was remembering to maintain an edge while riding the board.

All good fun!

kylebakin

Since 06 Aug 2015
2 Posts

PostThu Aug 06, 15 10:01 am    Drilling a Kite Fish to mount a foil Reply with quote

I bought a LF Kitefish in 2014 and I understand it is the same deck that is used for the foil setup. I am going to buy the LF foil and drill the mounting holes myself. I tried to contact LF for advice, but no response to their online contact method. How far back does the mount need to be placed? Any tips to keep in mind for this project?

stringy

Since 23 Jun 2006
1724 Posts
vancouver
XTreme Poster

PostThu Aug 06, 15 10:20 am     Reply with quote

If you're local, you could swing by Pepi's shop and have him drill it since he has a pretty cool drill fixture.
I forget exactly the length from the end, but here's the dimension I typically use when drilling out the boards.
center of mast should be mounted 4" forward of the center of rear foot strap position.

Pepi

Since 16 Jun 2006
1831 Posts
Pure Stoke Sports
Shop Owner

CGKA Member

PostFri Aug 07, 15 6:43 am     Reply with quote

We can help u out with both the foil and the mounting holes. Call me at the shop as we are about to include our LF foils into our end of summer sale at the shop.
Im not sure if we can advertise the sale price online yet.

www.Purestokesports.com

burton420

Since 19 Aug 2007
38 Posts
Kelowna,BC,Canada

PostSun Aug 09, 15 7:29 am     Reply with quote

I found the rear foot placement too far back on the LF board. If you are planning on drilling your own holes I would move them closer to the back of the board.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: