Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Liquid Force Foil Board
Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
tekko

Since 20 Feb 2006
376 Posts
White Salmon
Liquid Force

PostSun Jan 18, 15 6:19 am     Reply with quote

Past couple days have been all about strapless progression!!

Bit challenging at first to manage the board for waterstart, but super sensitive and great feel riding it strapless.

Glad to find out that LF positioned the straps correctly too, as the most stable positioning is right over the inserts.

Fun times cruising and making turns on the small swell on a grey and lighter day in LV!

GOPR1302.jpeg 
   GOPR1896.jpeg 
   GOPR1030.jpeg 

scottnorby

Since 23 Sep 2005
538 Posts
Cascadia - Seattle - Encinitas
Addicted

PostSun Jan 18, 15 1:41 pm     Reply with quote

....man that makes me miss Ventana.
....looks like fun.

52 and 20mph gusty rain/wind up at Double Bluff today.
Soak up that sun.

Cush skinned boards
Soft shell outside - eps and basalt cloth inside
Memory foam rails

airon^

Since 07 Aug 2013
289 Posts
Durango
Obsessed

PostTue Jan 20, 15 6:17 pm    Guess you guys saw this Reply with quote

Viva la revolution indeed....

http://vimeo.com/116406401

SpaceRacer

Since 04 Nov 2007
434 Posts

Obsessed

PostWed Jan 21, 15 11:09 pm     Reply with quote

Looks ergonomically perfect on which to hang clothes when one gets bored of it in three months.

wylieflyote

Since 30 Jun 2006
1634 Posts
Puget Sound & Wa. Coast
XTreme Poster

PostThu Jan 22, 15 6:40 am     Reply with quote

SpaceRacer wrote:
Looks ergonomically perfect on which to hang clothes when one gets bored of it in three months.

Trust Me, This will NOT sit next to my Nordic Trax!!! Feeling is believing.

Pepi

Since 16 Jun 2006
1831 Posts
Pure Stoke Sports
Shop Owner

CGKA Member

PostFri Jan 23, 15 8:36 am     Reply with quote

Between Tekko's foiling shots and the photos from our shop Kitefoil customers, I am beginning to get insanely jealous and desperate due to my lack of winter foiling time.

Started looking at my drysuit again and ordered up some new gloves so that I might be insane enough to go out and join Matt Wheeler or Gman during their daily freezer foiling sessions.

www.Purestokesports.com

TomAustria

Since 07 Mar 2013
35 Posts

PostFri Jan 23, 15 2:49 pm     Reply with quote

What are the differences between the stringyfoil and the LF one? I want to pimp my Paipo with a foil but have no clue what to get.

eabmoto

Since 10 May 2012
107 Posts
seattle
Stoked

PostFri Jan 23, 15 7:57 pm     Reply with quote

First attempt on my stringy foil today. Totally wiped out and lots of walking back up the beach, but so glad I've started the process. Just learning how to handle the dang thing and keep your kite in the air is hard enough at this point.

stringy

Since 23 Jun 2006
1727 Posts
vancouver
XTreme Poster

PostFri Jan 23, 15 9:31 pm     Reply with quote

TomAustria wrote:
What are the differences between the stringyfoil and the LF one? I want to pimp my Paipo with a foil but have no clue what to get.

ok I'll answer this to the best I can.
first of all both setups are made from Aluminum and G10 fiberglass.
Here's a breakdown of each:
Liquid Force
Anodized aluminum parts include fuselage, mast, and collar/baseplate
Wings are made from molded G10 wings.
Wings are both mounted on bottom side of fuselage.
comes with nice carrying case and all necessary tools and fasteners.
Designed and tested in the Columbia Gorge

Stringy
Aluminum parts include fuselage, mast with welded on baseplate
Wings are made from CNC machined G10 plate.
Forward wing mounted on top of fuselage and rear stabilizer mounted on bottom side.
Designed, tested and made in the Columbia Gorge

As for performance, they both have similar rides. I've spent a considerable amount of time on both setups. the LF will glide nice and quiet through the water. even at higher speeds it's still controllable. I find it real easy to ride and balance. this is probably because I've logged so many hours on it.
the stringy foil rides great just like the LF fun foil but the biggest performance difference is how it carves like no other (I've only ridden a handful so I'm sure there are others)my goal is to make my foil design work great on the river.
IMO they are both great foils to begin with and you will be happy with either. If you want one now, the shops have the LF in stock. If you want the gorge made foil, these will be available through second wind. I'm working on getting a couple more in to pepi's shop.

both setups will work just fine on the paipo. I've mounted both on my paipo. BRM greg has a couple of my foils on maui and he has them mounted on the paipo deck and they work great

Jonpnw

Since 22 Jul 2010
1323 Posts
Pacific Northwest
XTreme Poster

PostSat Jan 24, 15 7:13 am    Made In USA Reply with quote

Get the Stringy . Hand made by your fellow kiter and stoke master .

It is great to watch this new aspect of the sport grow and open up many more kite spots and kitable days .

Join the Columbia Gorge Water Sports Association. http://gorgewindsurfing.org/

wylieflyote

Since 30 Jun 2006
1634 Posts
Puget Sound & Wa. Coast
XTreme Poster

PostSat Jan 24, 15 7:25 am     Reply with quote

eabmoto wrote:
First attempt on my stringy foil today. Totally wiped out and lots of walking back up the beach, but so glad I've started the process. Just learning how to handle the dang thing and keep your kite in the air is hard enough at this point.

Been here in La Ventana since 1/1 with my brand new LF Foil-Fish from Pepi. I consider myself as just an average strapless surf skilled kiter (all clean jibes, no tacks, no strapless airs). I have logged about 11 hours learning the foil. I am able to ride on the foil for stretches of about 30 seconds before a crash. I thought this would be a bit easier from what I had read here, and on PSKite, BUT I also never imagined this to be as completely rewarding as it is. I've met the full spectrum here in LV: A young woman who learned it in 24 minutes (and had youtube proof), and a geezer my age who with logic and science stated that it takes 22 hours of TOW to get it nailed.
It reminds me so much of the early 90's learning to jibe a windsurf board. Everyday I get just a perfect taste of exciting stoke to inspire me to try more soon. Oh, and also praying for less wind as it's best on a 14mph day.

FYI: If anyone here would like to come to La Ventana and purchase a very slightly used LF setup... PM me. My close friend in El Sargento needs to quit after 3 days as the doctor has told him that the crashes have aggravated his pre-existing retinal detachment issues.

FYI2... The walk of shame from down-wind will very soon be replaced by a walk of shame from up-wind as these things charge up-wind.

eabmoto

Since 10 May 2012
107 Posts
seattle
Stoked

PostSat Jan 24, 15 11:46 am     Reply with quote

I'm in a terrible place to learn something new, so that doesn't help. I'm also starting off with no straps, never used them before, but I'm already getting up to my feet, at that point I can't see how straps would help. I also want to be able to jump clear when things go wrong. All the work will be worth it. I won't have to sit on the beach while my buddies are cruising around in 10 knots on their foils. They have tried Stringy's foil and like it a lot, comparing it to their $3500 set up.

AndyD

Since 17 Mar 2008
53 Posts
Bend, OR

PostSat Jan 24, 15 9:43 pm     Reply with quote

$2500 not $3500

Spider Monkey

Since 15 Jul 2007
36 Posts
Columbia City

PostTue Jan 27, 15 12:24 pm     Reply with quote

Has anyone rode slingshots new foil? How does it compare? I can't see it being worth twice the price of LF.

chipper

Since 16 Jan 2014
25 Posts
United States

PostTue Jan 27, 15 5:14 pm     Reply with quote

I haven't tried the Slingshot NF2 Foil yet, but I have been on the MHL and LF Fish. The Slingshot NF2 uses the new MHL Lift Foil as the foil, so it is not like its a new concept for Slingshot (since this is their first foil), they are using a well made and proven foil (one of the most popular hand made foils). So short of actually riding the t-rex board above the MHL foil i feel I can input a good idea of how it will ride. Based on riding the MHL lift and the LF this is what I would conclude:

Why the Slingshot Foil will be Better

The thicker/ more buoyant board with the bigger rockered front will keep the board afloat better and prevent nose dives. This is less relevant if you always have the board in the air, but I noticed while working on new tricks and for people learning with the Liquid force fish, it tends to nose dive very easy.

It also has the adjustable strut position which will be very helpful for beginners. You can move it further back to help reduce the "dolphining effect". It will be much lighter than the LF fish and has neutral buoyancy, which is nice for when you have to body drag out to deeper water. The LF one is heavy on the bottom and it drags along the ground while body dragging out to deeper water.

It also has no gaps between the fuselage and wings which will result in less vibration giving a smoother ride.

Why the Liquid Force Foil Will Be Better
First the price is a huge factor, It is $1599 vs $2799 for the SS foil. The liquid force is a great entry level board. I have been using mine for the last few weeks and running it aground several times and it is holding up very good.

The LF fish has a much larger front wing that helps for slower planing which is ideal for beginners.

I was in Turks and Caicos for a week on long bay which is bearly foilable since it waist to shoulder deep for miles out. I did slightly bend the fuselage on the LF but I was hitting ground pretty hard a few times when the tide got low.

The MHL board most likely would have broken fairly quickly with the way I was running aground. I have broken the MHL a couple times already from impacts with the ground, and the LF can take a much harder beating.

How to decide which one to buy?

If you are a beginner I would recommend the Liquid Force fish foil. It is at a better price point, a bit more durable when learning/ running aground and it will be best to beat up a cheaper/ more durable board.

It is still a great foil, the other day I was racing someone for fun I was on the Liquid Force and he was on the MHL Lift and the LF foil was pretty comparable in speed. The MHL is smoother and maneuvers better, but the LF can keep up pretty well.

If you are in deeper water and plan to not run aground the Slingshot Foil will be a better choice. It won't nose dive any where near as much, which can get annoying and slow your learning curve. It also has the ability to adjust the location of the strut, which can increase the learning curve as well. It will be lighter and more buoyant too.

stringy

Since 23 Jun 2006
1727 Posts
vancouver
XTreme Poster

PostWed Jan 28, 15 8:27 am     Reply with quote

Spider Monkey wrote:
Has anyone rode slingshots new foil? How does it compare? I can't see it being worth twice the price of LF.

while I haven't ridden the SS setup yet, I did jump on a new MHL in baja over the holiday break. it rode nice and the board is soft and light. where you will notice the difference is when the board is riding on the surface of the water.
also noticable in how it handles when trying to manage the board and getting into the straps.

the SS setup looks sweet. it's refined and has the slingshot build quality behind it.
the LF is a great setup and will take a beating. worth twice the price? not sure on that but most foil setups are priced above $2K so the SS is in line with the market.
the LF fun foil fish is worth every penny and will be a great addition to your quiver.

SpaceRacer

Since 04 Nov 2007
434 Posts

Obsessed

PostWed Jan 28, 15 8:39 am     Reply with quote

First off, I do appreciate everyone's candor on this thread and on others pertaining to foiling in that there is a humbling new learning curve associated with it, which will demand patience and stick-to-itiveness from the rider. I am sure that I am asking questions that have been asked before:

1) Is it highly beneficial to first learn behind a boat if possible? If so, any good tips or links on this?

2) Any good tips or links on how to foil?

3) Any good tips or links on safety and self-rescue?

Thanks

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: