Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Anthony’s Beginner Guide to La Ventana

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Anthony

Since 07 Oct 2008
362 Posts
Salem
Obsessed

CGKA Member

PostSun Dec 14, 14 8:09 pm    Anthony’s Beginner Guide to La Ventana Reply with quote

I have been here 5 times for a total length of 31 days.

The hurricane damage is extensive around Baja California Sur. Imagine all the of the high voltage towers collapsing. I have not seen concrete poles snapped in half before. It must have been weak concrete. It is amazing how much they have recovered. There was sand up to the windows at the place I stay in La Ventana. It took them weeks to dig out. Baja is green like eastern Oregon in the spring. The vegetation has grown so much the off road trails for motorbiking have cactus blocking there. The plants are blooming, check it out. No Dengue Fever here, but I have meet a few people who have gotten it. That is a disease you do not want!! Fever, itching for hell and other complications.

Flying

Los Cabo verse La Paz Airport

Los Cabo Airport (SJD) is in three terminals. The interior of the airport will take some to time repair from the hurricane. When your flight arrives head right to immigration. I took the direct flight from Portland (PDX) to SJD. About three Alaska flights arrive at the same time. Our flight arrived about 10 minutes early. Score! It is awesome when all the people show up for the flight before takeoff. It took me at 15 minutes to get cleared through. Picked up luggage, standard luggage at carousal and golf bag on the far end. Next baggage scan, easy. Nope. I pushed that little random search button and it lit up. I got my luggage gone through. The one lady going through the luggage did not understand what kiteboarding is. They have a lot of new people there. I whipped up some kiteboarding pics on the iPhone to educate them on the bags they would see. You walk into the white room where all the timeshare people are there to greet you. Just keep walking through the opposite door you came. There are no markings in the room. Walk outside to the right for rental car and vans.

La Paz airport (LAP) is the small terminal. You are typically to the car rental agency with in 30 minutes of arriving. I like flying into La Paz, but that is no more. To get to LAP you most connect through bigger Mexican cities.

There is a Luggage Restriction to Mexico for their bigger cities. There are so many people flying back to home over the Christmas Holiday (Nov 15 - Jan 15) taking goods with them, several airlines now restrict the number of bags and or size of bag. Look at your airline rules before getting you tickets on all flights in the future. I bought my ticket before Nov 1, so I was grand fathered in and not going through a major city.

Be sure you flights have at least 2+ hours connection time when coming back to USA or if you are lucky enough have a direct flight.

TSA-pre and Global Entry. TSA - pre allows you to go through an abbreviated process of security. Leave you shoes on and computer in bag. This is strictly on a random basis! Global Entry is a process were you can go through immigration in a abbreviated manor. Ex: I arrive in Atlanta from Europe, all the passengers’ line up for immigration for half hour to hour wait. I go up to the Global Entry Kiosk, input my Global Entry number, scan my finger prints then prints out a sheet with my photo. Time less than 5 minutes for four people! If you are frequent traveler to foreign countries, it is a time saver. Global Entry is the best, $99 I have spent. One missed flight will pay for it! Global Entry does get my more chances of the TSA-pre. TSA-pre is only on a random basis! At PDX coming back I was the only person with Global Entry, I was in seat 30, I was one of the first to get through Immigration. In the end it kind of equaled out, my luggage was the last to off loaded and through Customs. Wait for 35 minutes for luggage. .

Car Rental - Thanks to Noah for this knowledge!

After problems on a rental car two years ago, I was determined to figure the Mexican insurance scam. I talked to people at my camp and learned the following:
1. You have to buy the required Mexican Third Party Liability. Choose the least cost coverage. They will try to sell you more. You need to decline the other insurance!
2. You need to rent your car with a credit card that will have Mexican insurance coverage. Check your credit card coverage!!
3. The credit card should be the primary coverer. If it is secondary coverer the credit card will make you prove you do not have coverage with you insurance at home.
4. Print out the fine print for the credit card coverage. Be sure it is valid to Mexico or were ever you are traveling.
5. There is time limit that credit card will cover you. If you are going beyond that time limit you would need to run the card again.
5. Rental agencies in Mexico will say that you insurance is not valid. Show them the fine print that it is.
6. Some agencies will say they will not rent you a car unless you get the extra insurance ($$$$). You should be prepared to go to another agency if they will not budge. Act like you have done this before!!!
7. Check for spare tire and jack. Also check to be sure the power points work.

Driving

This is free range area. Cattle, horses, donkey, dogs, etc will be on the road. Do a web search for driving, once you figure the nuances. It is easy to get around. Do not give the police any reason to pull you over! Drive during the day if possible! I am using an apple app that works ok for gps. The roads are paved and narrow. Stay on the road! At San Antonio do not miss the turn. It will be to the east, NOT west! See this link for directions. http://www.kiteschool.com/laventana_travel.html. The road from San Antonio had some eastbound lane closures due to slope failure from the past Hurricanes. Not a problem, keep a lookout. Do not use Goggle Maps for directions it will take on a dirt coastal roadway in Los Barriles. San Antonio can be tricky, go past the Pemex(gas) then less than a half kilometer, you will see signs to Baja Joes and other kiteboard shop signs. Turn there. See goggle map for street system of San Antonio.

LV to La Paz Bus

This an old Dodge van(The small school bus is broken) that does two trips back and forth daily. I was only American on the trip. The bus stops about a half mile from the Malecon(water front). It is good to know how to find the bus when going back. The street signing is poor to non-existent. Take a few pics of the area and note the tall building to the south as a reference. Across the street from the bus stop is a market are with restaurants, meats and vegetables. A great place to stop at the end of your day. The one way cost is an a cheap price of 60 pesos($4.00) for an hour trip! I rode the 7:00 bus on the other side of Playa Central. Come back on the 2:00 bus and was dropped near at Baja Joes. A great place to start your day is in one of the Malecon beach front restaurants for breakfast! The bus will pick you and drop you off anywhere on the El Sargento - La Ventana Highway. There was an unique check police check point on the Los Planes Highway, be sure you give them nothing to catch their interest. I have been through many check points in Mexico, this is the first one where I was a little caught off guard.

La Paz city buses are organized chaos. There is no web site, anything written down you, just have to know it by the locations written on bus and bus numbers. Do take the time to explore, La Paz is a great city and rated one of the safest cities on Latin America. I hope this place will never become a Cabo!!!

Lodging is all over the place from camping to expense places. Just look on the internet.

Money, ATM’S and the Internet.

The last two times I came to La Ventana, I just ordered pesos from my bank in Oregon. I found easy to do on line and the fees reasonable. Check what your fees will be for an ATM visit. In some cases the ATM can cost you more that getting the pesos at home. I have picked up pesos in Los Barriles at Bank of Mexico, there are several ATM’s there. Down less that a city block from ATM’s is a fair grocery store. There are two ATM’s in La Ventana, I know that one location is Los Bandios (Bar). The value of my pesos has dropped by 14% over the last three weeks. It is a good time to get pesos. There is fiber optical cable all over town, but no one is hooked up to it. I am told the cost is $300+ a month for a town that is really only busy for 3 months a year. The internet will be slow.

Groceries

Los Cabos, Soriana is an ok store. Los Cabos, Soriana is not up the quality and quantity for the stores in La Paz. I will shop at the mart in Los Brallies before shopping there again.

Los Brallies has a grocery store about a half mile into town. A little spendy with selection as only fair.

La Paz has several grocery chains, Wal Mart, Mega, Sorianas, etc. Most have good selection and good prices.

Do your homework on maps before you go or have a good GPS with Mexico maps!

Food is cheaper than US. I got 4000 Pesos and bought most of my food with credit card. Budget $200.

I used a kite golf bag and keep it under 50 pounds!

Yes, you can windsurf. I would recommend Vela Sports over Baja Joes for the newer equipment. For $50 US you rent all day right from the beach. A great way to try all sorts of equipment.

Locally

The only thing close to Grocery store is in El Sargento is Oscaritos. Ask most everybody, they know where it is. They have actually doubled the food area compared to last year!!! There is a fish / shrimp store just north of the soccer (football) field. First or second street to the east about 1 block. Look for blue building. Incredible shrimp and cheap!!! Thursday Farmers market at Playa Central is good. There are several restaurants throughout the area, check them out. I went to the “M” Restaurant on the north end of La Ventana. Excellent food and easy on the pocket price. The Citrus Tuna ($14 with drink) was awesome.

Wind Log

I weight 200 lb. I brought a 9, 11 and 14.

I use a 3/2 mm full suit most of the time I have been in La Ventana. If you are a good kiter you can get away with less, The water is warm this year, I have been wearing board shorts and neoprene top most days this year. I recommend helmet with a visor for the sun. I also where sunglasses! Bring good sun screen!!

The wind typically starts to blow about 11 am to 1 pm.

Equipment (The old but reliable stuff) is Slingshot T3 14m, 11m, and 9m. Also, Slingshot Rev 11m to figure out. Board is a Slingshot 150 Ignition. The wind was lighter this trip compared to other years.

Thursday 14 Meter for 3.5 hours
Friday 11 Meters for 3.0 hours
Saturday 11 Meters for 4.0 hours. Second session was the smoothest wind I have ever had. Note: I have windsurfed for 35 years, so that is saying something.
Sunday 11 Meters for 3.5 hours. Second session was smooth wind and testing kiting. I could have been a 9 meter.
Monday 14 Meters for 2 hours and 11 meter for 1.5 hours.
Tuesday 14 Meters for 3.5 hours.
Wednesday 14 Meter for 3.0 hours.
Thursday 17+ Meter for 2 hours. It was not suppose to blow. I did not kite. The breeze kept it cool.
Friday. Light Breeze- One kiter with a foil. It was a La Paz day for me.

Kiting Info

Foil boarding has become bigger here. There are rentals and instruction locally for it. From what I have the learned it is brutal to the body to learn, but totally addictive. Lot of bruises and cuts from the process.

My favorite is the guy who uses a seated foil board. I do not know if he is disabled or not, but he is having a blast.

kitemare

Since 23 Mar 2010
265 Posts
Seattle, wa
Obsessed

PostTue Dec 16, 14 9:12 am     Reply with quote

Awesome! Thanks Anthony for the useful beta.
I will actually be flying down to Cabo in 2 weeks and going to bring all my gear with me. The parents are paying the way as a holiday gift (score) and we are going to stay in Cabo rather than L.V.
Do you happen to know any info about riding there that would help out?

Freeride Kiter

Since 08 Jul 2011
698 Posts
Alaska / PNW / Baja
Instructor

PostTue Dec 16, 14 9:56 am     Reply with quote

Adding to the TSA PreCheck; it is officially a 'random selection' system whether you have registered and have been assigned a KTN (known traveler number) or are opted-in at random by your airline loyalty program. Keep in mind that passengers with a KTN are more likely to be selected than passengers opted-in.

That being said, I fly aboard commercial airliners every 14 days year round to and from work and then even more on to wherever my off time kite destination might be. In 2014 I took 36 commercial flights and was granted TSA Pre-check on all of them (even down to Mexico). I do have a KTN and it is entered in to my profile for the airlines I travel on. So far it has been worth the cost. Our Anchorage airport isn't super busy but I fly right by the normal screening lines. Portland, Atlanta, DFW, San Diego, Seattle and LAX were all a quick breeze with sometimes hundreds of people in line that I walked on by. So far (fingers crossed) the longest I've waiting was two or three minutes and the shortest was never actually stopping after TSA ticket verification - never broke stride while I placed my bag on the screening belt and walked on through the scanner.

For frequent travelers in the US TSA Pre-check is great and for international travelers Global Entry is fantastic.

www.freeridekiting.com

Last edited by Freeride Kiter on Tue Dec 16, 14 1:44 pm; edited 1 time in total

Anthony

Since 07 Oct 2008
362 Posts
Salem
Obsessed

CGKA Member

PostTue Dec 16, 14 12:12 pm     Reply with quote

Your in Cabo, sorry. I would give Los Brailles a shot. It is only about an hour to Los Brailles and at least 2 hours to LV. A thing to note is that Los Brailles(less wind speed) needs one kite size bigger than LV not smaller as stated in someone previous post. LV has awesome down winders available.

knotwindy

Since 25 Sep 2011
598 Posts

Addicted

PostTue Dec 16, 14 2:37 pm     Reply with quote

yea, go to La Ventana, please

EVERYTHING is better there,
the wind blows harder and steadier and longer
the water is flatter and has better waves
the food is tastier and cheaper
the hotels/B&B/rentals are cheaper and nicer
the weather is warmer and the sky is clearer and bluer and the rare cloud is whiter and fluffier
the people are younger and friendlier and will buy you beer
EVERYTHING is better, go there, please

also, there are some good surf/kite spots on the east cape on the way up from San Jose. Still an hour drive from Cabo San Lucas and hard to find but worth the time/trouble- in the right conditions, of course

Freeride Kiter

Since 08 Jul 2011
698 Posts
Alaska / PNW / Baja
Instructor

PostTue Dec 16, 14 3:15 pm     Reply with quote

Also worth the time and drive from Cabo (when wind is predicted) is the pacific side towards Todos Santos. Just north of town there are a few easy access beaches where the surf won't polish you. Wind isn't the best on that side this time of year but sessions are possible. If nothing else you can surf some.

www.freeridekiting.com

kitemare

Since 23 Mar 2010
265 Posts
Seattle, wa
Obsessed

PostTue Dec 16, 14 10:10 pm     Reply with quote

Geeze, you guys are making me feel bad for getting a free trip Wink

We didn't rent a car but I might for a day just to visit LV and kite some of the cooler spots down there.

Anthony

Since 07 Oct 2008
362 Posts
Salem
Obsessed

CGKA Member

PostWed Dec 17, 14 8:12 am     Reply with quote

PM sent

Jonpnw

Since 22 Jul 2010
1322 Posts
Pacific Northwest
XTreme Poster

PostWed Dec 17, 14 11:30 am    Dec 27 Reply with quote

My wife arrive at SJD Saturday December 27. If anyone is renting a car and driving to LV we would help with gas and a fair share of your rental fee for the day.

Join the Columbia Gorge Water Sports Association. http://gorgewindsurfing.org/

wylieflyote

Since 30 Jun 2006
1634 Posts
Puget Sound & Wa. Coast
XTreme Poster

PostThu Dec 18, 14 6:09 am    Re: Dec 27 Reply with quote

Jonpnw wrote:
My wife arrive at SJD Saturday December 27. If anyone is renting a car and driving to LV we would help with gas and a fair share of your rental fee for the day.

There are dozens of request for ride sharing if you join the Ventana View listserve.
send a join request to
ventana.view2@gmail.com

You will get an email newsletter about 2X a week. You can quit just as easy.

Jonpnw

Since 22 Jul 2010
1322 Posts
Pacific Northwest
XTreme Poster

PostThu Dec 18, 14 6:37 am    Thank You ! Reply with quote

@wylieflyote

Thank you ! email sent

Join the Columbia Gorge Water Sports Association. http://gorgewindsurfing.org/

Freeride Kiter

Since 08 Jul 2011
698 Posts
Alaska / PNW / Baja
Instructor

PostThu Dec 18, 14 9:00 am     Reply with quote

Just looked at todays edition of Ventana View - I didn't see any rides offered from SJD to LV on the 27th. Lots of people leaving though.

Here is the listing for taxi / shuttle

Quote:
TAXI/SHUTTLE SERVICES
-
Transportacion aeropuertos cabo y la paz. Turispancho s de rl de cv. limanchu2@gmail.com y limanchu@hotmail.com Cel 6121077013 y 61218 52538
Con Roberto Canedo
++
Taxi Service: Samuel .. turissaven@hotmail.com or cell 612-167-1550 (From US dial - 011-52-1-612-167-1550)
++
Manny Manny Tours offering either transfer services and tours from La Ventana and El Sargeto to La Paz, Los Cabos, Todos Santos, Magdalena Bay, Etc..
I`m a certified tourist guide - e-mail to mannymannytours@hotmail.com or 612-122-0911 office/cell 612 127 0910 or 612 127 1118

I will be there mid afternoon on the 28th if a ride is still needed.

www.freeridekiting.com

sromano1995

Since 22 May 2013
240 Posts
Portland
Stoked

PostTue Jan 06, 15 7:46 pm     Reply with quote

Great post Anthony! Very informative and useful in preparation for our group's trip to LV.

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2053 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostWed Jan 07, 15 9:54 am     Reply with quote

Anthony wrote:
I would give Los Brailles a shot.

LB is great and don't forget to stop at the restaurant at the 90 degree turn on the way to the North end of LB/dry river bed/ launch and land area.

Don't forget to ask for Shaggy--awesome provider of greens! A good balance when riding, imbibing Mexi beers and tequila, and eating fresh caught sea food! Damn I want to go down there!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: