Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

A few airport kiting snaps from today.
Page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Makani

Since 19 Aug 2014
15 Posts

PostSat Nov 15, 14 10:13 pm    A few airport kiting snaps from today. Reply with quote

I forgot my hat and warm gloves at home (so I chickened out - brrrr).

Screen Shot 2014-11-15 at 4.05.46 PM.png 
   Screen Shot 2014-11-15 at 8.54.50 PM.png 
   Screen Shot 2014-11-15 at 8.56.15 PM.png 
   Screen Shot 2014-11-15 at 9.08.14 PM.png 

Windian

Since 28 Apr 2008
880 Posts
Newport, OR
NEWPORT OG

PostSat Nov 15, 14 10:29 pm     Reply with quote

Airplane puppet shot is classic! Photos do a great job of capturing the cold. Nice!

Smile

D-Krep It Kiter

Since 18 Jul 2011
417 Posts

Obsessed

PostSat Nov 15, 14 11:07 pm     Reply with quote

Windian wrote:
Airplane puppet shot is classic!
Very Happy ...and yep, it was FREEZING out there!

johndoe

Since 14 Oct 2008
19 Posts

PostSun Nov 16, 14 8:24 am     Reply with quote

thanks for snapping the pix. might have been colder watching from the beach! Smile

jerp

Since 22 Feb 2013
450 Posts

Obsessed

PostSun Nov 16, 14 8:29 am     Reply with quote

great pics....everyone seems to be in dry suits, anyone out there in a wetsuit?

I'm too cheap to buy a dry suit so thinking of buying one of those windproof jackets to add warmth.

johndoe

Since 14 Oct 2008
19 Posts

PostSun Nov 16, 14 8:34 am     Reply with quote

all drysuits. hardest part is keeping the hands warm. toasty otherwise.

jerp

Since 22 Feb 2013
450 Posts

Obsessed

PostSun Nov 16, 14 8:55 am     Reply with quote

johndoe wrote:
all drysuits. hardest part is keeping the hands warm. toasty otherwise.

cheers.... I have 1.5 Oneill mutant gloves which I assume will not be enough. what gloves do you wear?

thanks again.

Mark

Since 20 Jun 2005
3677 Posts
I need my fix because I'm a
Naishaholic

PostSun Nov 16, 14 6:36 pm     Reply with quote

I was using 1.5 mill gloves..... Very cold. Should have grabbed my 5 mil gloves. Had to cut the session short. Dry suits are wonderful. Worth spending the extra money to get a full goretex suit. Otherwise you will fill the suit with sweat. Also I am a big fan of attached goretex feet. Just slide them into your booties. That way you don't have the seals cutting the blood flow. Speaking of which, you can put a 1 liter bottle in your arm seals when your not using it. It will help stretch the seals and make them more comfy..

Enjoy and be safe. When the water gets cold the risks go way up.

www.naishkites.com

Johnb

Since 02 Aug 2010
494 Posts

Obsessed

PostSun Nov 16, 14 6:40 pm     Reply with quote

jerp wrote:

cheers.... I have 1.5 Oneill mutant gloves which I assume will not be enough. what gloves do you wear?

thanks again.

I just got some rip curl soul gloves 2 mm. They are neoprene dipped in rubber. They seem to be OK. Yesterday when I was out about mid session my fingers got a bit cold but then warmed up and were just fine the rest of the day.

I think part of keeping your hands warm is keeping your body warm and core temperature up. The drysuit helps to keep your body warm which in turn helps to keep hands warm. However this is just my theory.

There were a few out in wetsuits today but it felt much warmer because the wind was lighter. Those wearing wetsuit did mention they were getting cold. While I was toasty and sweating a bit in my drysuit.

John

Occupied Columbia

Since 12 Nov 2011
376 Posts
Columbia City
Obsessed

PostSun Nov 16, 14 6:55 pm     Reply with quote

[quote="JohnB"]
jerp wrote:

There were a few out in wetsuits today but it felt much warmer because the wind was lighter. Those wearing wetsuit did mention they were getting cold. While I was toasty and sweating a bit in my drysuit.

John

Yep. I was out there in a shorty... Laughing with a 4.3 over the top. my knees were cold which makes sense as they were only covered with three mil. The gloves I bought today were loose fitting which may have contributed to my finger tips being numbingly cold. Overall good time. Great crew out there. My first time going at the airport. The planes are really low.

Makani

Since 19 Aug 2014
15 Posts

PostSun Nov 16, 14 7:22 pm     Reply with quote

a few more from today. I got in my suit, but the wind was so light, I just didn't bother trying. Crap, am I becoming a wind snob? Shocked

Screen Shot 2014-11-16 at 6.35.18 PM.png 
   Screen Shot 2014-11-16 at 6.39.06 PM.png 
   Screen Shot 2014-11-16 at 6.47.14 PM.png 
   Screen Shot 2014-11-16 at 6.33.12 PM.png 
   Screen Shot 2014-11-16 at 6.43.33 PM.png 

jerp

Since 22 Feb 2013
450 Posts

Obsessed

PostSun Nov 16, 14 9:06 pm     Reply with quote

thank you for the info on the dry suits guys.... might try a few on next week in HR

stringy

Since 23 Jun 2006
1724 Posts
vancouver
XTreme Poster

PostMon Nov 17, 14 6:58 am     Reply with quote

yesterday was much nicer than earlier this week since it was mid 40s and sunny with lighter wind conditions. ron did have his jetski out so that helps with a sense of security when conditions are light.
it being sunny and no wind chill as a factor does make wearing a wetsuit possible, however the columbia river just hit 50 degrees below bonneville.
http://www.fpc.org/tempgraphssl/NETFullYear_tempgraph.aspx
I wore a wetsuit yesterday and was doing fine while kiting, but as soon as I came in to hangout and discuss our epic session, I started getting chilled from standing around.
Iwas riding a foilboard, so not exposed to the chop like on a traditional board, but I was crashing as usual so still getting wet..
usually I throw on a neoprene hoodie and this keeps you warm for standing around. gonna start wearing a drysuit.
I like john B's gloves, will consider those. I have a pair of the pata lobster mitts. these are some of the warmest gloves on the market. while they work for me, they may not be comfortable for others due to they are pretty thick and change the way your bar feels.

http://www.patagonia.com/us/product/r5-three-finger-mitts?p=89405-0

thanks makani for the stoke! good crew yesterday

jerp

Since 22 Feb 2013
450 Posts

Obsessed

PostMon Nov 17, 14 1:38 pm     Reply with quote

thanks Stringy for the info..... yep, I think my season is officially over. I'm too cheap to spend the 800 clams on a DS and don't want to risk a 6/5/4 not being warm enough Smile

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2053 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostMon Nov 17, 14 3:52 pm     Reply with quote

jerp wrote:
thanks Stringy for the info..... yep, I think my season is officially over. I'm too cheap to spend the 800 clams on a DS and don't want to risk a 6/5/4 not being warm enough Smile

It isn't done, just time for a new chapter. The occasional southie ocean expression session can and will still transpire. Also time to start thinking about the snow up on Hood, Helens, Adams, and of course in other states North, South and East of here.

The killer for me is the cold hands issue. Not too much fun for me when sailing on the water with numb hands and thick gloves don't really seam to help me much.

stringy

Since 23 Jun 2006
1724 Posts
vancouver
XTreme Poster

PostMon Nov 17, 14 6:24 pm     Reply with quote

me and ron hit the airport again today. slightly side off conditions where we would probably not dare try with a big kite and big board. foiling has opened up this spot and made it kiteable. wind seemed pretty steady today and even warmer than yesterday. did not get cold in my R3 and the gloves I use have holes in them.
anyhow hoping the airport continues this week. been a good run when roosters nuked out.
on a side note, if you're looking for milder winter conditions "locally", keep an eye on damon point/ocean shores. this spot can be warm and sunny just like astoria ponds. the only difference is damon is about 100 times larger with flat water goodness.
more info on pskite.

jerp

Since 22 Feb 2013
450 Posts

Obsessed

PostMon Nov 17, 14 8:46 pm     Reply with quote

Sasquatch wrote:
jerp wrote:

It isn't done, just time for a new chapter. The occasional southie ocean expression session can and will still transpire. Also time to start thinking about the snow up on Hood, Helens, Adams, and of course in other states North, South and East of here.

The killer for me is the cold hands issue. Not too much fun for me when sailing on the water with numb hands and thick gloves don't really seam to help me much.

your words have inspired me Smile... just bought a pair of 3mm gloves and Atan Hot Mistrals online, will check out drysuits down in hood river next Saturday. phock it, its only money
...and sorry for the hijack

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: