Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Caravan to La Ventanain late December?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1470 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostTue Nov 04, 14 6:51 pm    Caravan to La Ventanain late December? Reply with quote

My step-daughter and her boyfriend are crossing the border into Baja sometime around December 27 give or take a couple days.
Would like to find someone for them to caravan with. Someone going to LV or LB would be great.
Also not wanting them to drive in Baja at night.
wylieflyote - i saw your post, guessing you'll cross the border on the 28th?
Anyone else driving down at that time?

wylieflyote

Since 30 Jun 2006
1634 Posts
Puget Sound & Wa. Coast
XTreme Poster

PostTue Nov 04, 14 7:50 pm     Reply with quote

Since I'm driving solo, the most punishing drive I can stand will be:
12/27 Tacoma-Sacramento
12/28 Sacramento-San Ysidro
12/29 San Ysidro-Guererro Negro
12/30 Guerrero Negro-La Ventana

Note: Both of the Baja legs require about 1.5 hours of cautious dark driving.

flipper

Since 17 Oct 2011
320 Posts

Obsessed

PostTue Nov 04, 14 8:04 pm     Reply with quote

Kip, Do you recommend a place to stay in Guerroro Negro?

bigjohn

Since 13 Mar 2012
663 Posts

Addicted

PostWed Nov 05, 14 7:33 am     Reply with quote

http://www.halfwayinnhotel.com/

Not the cheapest place around, however very nice. If I remember correctly around 500 - 600 pesos.

/J

wylieflyote

Since 30 Jun 2006
1634 Posts
Puget Sound & Wa. Coast
XTreme Poster

PostWed Nov 05, 14 8:17 am     Reply with quote

Been following many posts on BajaNomad, and the Facebook Baja site. Many are saying there is a brand new very clean hotel in Guerrero Negro with positive reviews. I've already made my reservation using email. They responded within a hour, and once I've crossed the border I will confirm the room is still waiting for me. Note: That last hour or two is in the dark. In the past I've "hooked" up with other trucks or vehicles I've noticed through the day and we tailgate each other through the dark. It's not how I normally drive in Mexico with a S.O.P. of No Nights... but I "need' to get to LV fast.
Here the Terra Sol information copy/paste (PM me for my tons of Mexico notes)
Guerrero Negro First Night after Tijuana All Day Drive:
Terra Sol has the highest reviews: "Originally posted by oxxo
hotelterrasal@hotmail.com (no website yet)
Terra Sal right at the entrance to GN on the right side of the road and it's beautiful, with a restaurant and office staff that speak english! You can park by the door of your room and every room has 2 king size beds for 550 pesos a night with good security too. We are working out a deal for my whale watching folks to stay there as there is ample parking, good wifi and new rooms.

1st EDIT: Note that you can purchase a $230peso ($20USD) burner Pre-paid cell phone and any OXXO store. pre-loaded with 200 minutes. OXXO stores are located on almost every other corner lately (more common than US AM PM stores). Get the phone, in and out in under 15 minutes. You can also research using a US phone and just purchase a SIM card to switch to Telcel which is basically the only MX provider... owned be Carlos Slim the richest man in el mundo. If you purchase a Telcel phone and SIM in Tijuana, all your calls will be long distance while in LV since the area code will be TJ. This is moot for me since %99.9 of my use is only texting... almost free. Looking for Hot Springs D'Winders, I will post my cell # here when I get it.

2nd EDIT: Recent information that at the border crossing in TJ/San Ysidro they have remodeled and streamlined your Tourist Visa process. It is just as you cross over, a few feet after you've come through a very brief vehicle inspection, easy to see brand new facility. Pay a fee and get your Visa. In and out in under 15 minutes.
I used to have a page which showed you a picture by picture path of exactly which lane to be in and your entire windshield view of the drive from U.S. interstate 5 all the way through to Ensenada and beyond. There's been many changes lately so I'll look for new image files on BajaNomad.com

flipper

Since 17 Oct 2011
320 Posts

Obsessed

PostWed Nov 05, 14 8:51 am     Reply with quote

Nice, thanks for the info. I love the drive in Baja. Absolute adventure, a bit of fear, with a pot-o-gold in La Ventana.

wylieflyote

Since 30 Jun 2006
1634 Posts
Puget Sound & Wa. Coast
XTreme Poster

PostWed Nov 05, 14 9:06 am     Reply with quote

flipper wrote:
Nice, thanks for the info. I love the drive in Baja. Absolute adventure, a bit of fear, with a pot-o-gold in La Ventana.

HA! Yes, and one of my favorite couple hours is while driving through the Catavina area. Mysterious trees, rocks, everything looking like a Dr Sues image.
Here's something for ya:

"A scrawny Mexican street dog is swimming north across the Rio Grande. While he paddles, he's dreaming of what awaits him on the other side and bumps into another dog going the other way. He's big, plump and shiny with very white teeth.

The Mexican dog asks him, "You a Gringo dog?

The other dog says, "Yes."

"Oh, lucky you! Is it true that over there you live the life of royalty? That they bathe you, give you pedicures, feed you steak twice a day and they even pick up your poop?"

The Gringo dog says, "Yes."

"And the people give you a soft bed, get rid of your fleas, take you for walks and treat you like one of the family?

"It's all true," said the Gringo dog.

"Well, that's where I'm headed", said the Mexican dog, and he struck out more forcefully then ever.

But then he stopped and yelled back over his shoulder, "Then where are you going?", he asked the Gringo dog.

"To Mexico," he said.

"But why, if it's all so good over there, why go to Mexico?"

"To bark, my friend, to bark"."

flipper

Since 17 Oct 2011
320 Posts

Obsessed

PostWed Nov 05, 14 9:08 am     Reply with quote

lol Kip, that is a good one. So true.

wylieflyote

Since 30 Jun 2006
1634 Posts
Puget Sound & Wa. Coast
XTreme Poster

PostWed Nov 05, 14 9:16 am     Reply with quote

And here's that image-route page I mentioned showing your route through the border confusion. Note that this is a couple years old and the remodel at the actual border has changed. As you cross for the US, there is an immediate sharp right turn that parallels the US fence for 1/2 mile. You are in Mexico at this point but you've not passed through any immigration gates. After about 1/2 mile there's a sharp left and you will see many many lanes spread out for you to enter the security immigration inspection. To the far right of all this is your office you will need to you visitor's Visa. It's all very easy quick, and self explanatory once you are there.
After you've passed through the border site... stick to this image route to get out of TJ on an expressway (with a toll) and into Ensenada:

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=49336#pid571371

wylieflyote

Since 30 Jun 2006
1634 Posts
Puget Sound & Wa. Coast
XTreme Poster

PostWed Nov 05, 14 9:53 am     Reply with quote

North of La Ventana/El Sargento...Hot Springs downwinder launch... or just play all day in uncrowded waters:

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1470 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostTue Nov 18, 14 2:33 pm     Reply with quote

bump

groundclown

Since 12 May 2007
135 Posts
Hood River
Stoked

PostTue Dec 09, 14 1:36 am    baja ferry to mainland. Reply with quote

Is the ferry still a corrupt nightmare? I would enjoy the adventure caravanning but central America is my destination. Wanted to be on a beach by Christmas though. Anyone else looking to leave by next week. I'm leaving from the Gorge.

wylieflyote

Since 30 Jun 2006
1634 Posts
Puget Sound & Wa. Coast
XTreme Poster

PostTue Dec 09, 14 3:31 pm     Reply with quote

If you are driving south soon....Just read on another forum that the mudslide that took out the expressway toll road between TJ and Ensenada will be finally repaired and opened between December 15 and 20
http://www.elvigia.net/general/2014/12/9/reencarpetan-manana-carretera-escenica-180903.html

windwatcher

Since 18 Aug 2005
26 Posts
B.C. Canada

PostFri Dec 12, 14 1:09 pm    New route to toll highway Reply with quote

Hi, I'm getting ready to go down for an afternoon session here in La Ventana and had to comment on the crossing of the new border crossing into Mexico, which we did in the middle of October. From the new area where you're inspected (seemed like every one was stopped and searched) and get your visitors visa (they speak english in the office), you can see the on ramp over the aqueduct on the right. So stay to the right, climb the short on ramp, then continue staying to the right and you're at the toll Hwy. before you know it. Just follow the signs to Rosarito and Ensenada. I was worried about the crossing at the border and getting to the toll Hwy. but it truly is very easy. On the way down watch for the speed bumps in every little town, and those Alto (stop signs) that seem to materialize out of no where. This was our first drive down and if you have a sense of adventure you have got to drive it at least once. The scenery changes continually. Have a safe trip, it really is a kite boarders paradise.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: