Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Maui is fun.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
bulae99

Since 12 Jul 2006
1691 Posts

I give out bad advice.

PostFri Oct 24, 14 9:27 pm    Maui is fun. Reply with quote

Hey NW,
Been in Hawaii about 5 months and I'm pretty sure that my 10mtr is wearing out. Maui is really fun. Kiting mostly at Kanaha and heading up to uppers. A couple a days at some other secret spots. One day at hookipa, but honestly it's just easier to launch at kanaha and go up wind.
The waves are starting to show up along with lighter wind days.
Missed the Oregon season, and I miss Oregon too.
Come check out Maui,
Cheers

image.jpg
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  image.jpg
 Filesize:  904.43 KB
 Downloaded:  841 Time(s)
 Note:  Use Pixlr to resize images to lower than 1024x768 resolution so they show up inline.

bigjohn

Since 13 Mar 2012
663 Posts

Addicted

PostSat Oct 25, 14 12:28 pm     Reply with quote

Bulae;

Looking forward to kiting with you this winter. Warm water, big swell. I can't wait. Just hope there's wind.

This week has been tough (wind wise). Also, I made the mistake of passing on Rooster this morning thinking that Rufus was going to provide the goods this afternoon... I'm second guessing my decision... Maybe I should just go pack my bags up and head over now!!!!

WINDUDE

Since 10 Jun 2010
557 Posts
GORGE!
Addicted

PostSun Oct 26, 14 9:12 am     Reply with quote

maui is great, leave Ho'okipa to the windsurfers. You are right Kanaha and just go up wind a touch to some amazing waves, or downwind! everywhere you look!

bulae99

Since 12 Jul 2006
1691 Posts

I give out bad advice.

PostTue Oct 28, 14 9:09 am    Hey voy-tech Reply with quote

I'm gonna answer you on the forum as your question is a good one, ok?

Should you bring your 7mtr? Yes
Should you bring your 10mtr? Yes

You weigh 175 and kite your 10 mostly, cool.

Should you be worried about sharks? Not worried, just aware.

The weather in Maui can be highly variable, but the consistent part is the wind. It's starting to rain out where I live, Huelo/Haiku area. But by 10am it's burning off and the wind kicks in.
I weigh 200lbs, lost 30 since moving here, and I kite a 10mtr on a strapped and unstrapped surfboard.

You will be fine if you bring just the 10mtr, but the 7mtr. might come in handy as we are having the occasional 25plus days. If you bring the 10 and don't have the 7 you may end up kiting just in Kanaha bay and not be able to go up wind.

Do people kite Kiehe? yes, but it's gusty and the wind can just shut off or switch directions rather quickly.

Sharks are here and they are aggressive as of late. The last report that I got, from a paddler out of Kakalui club, was that an attack on a board had occurred. So, yes they are here, and yes they are big.

The reality is that they are always here. The trick to minimizing your exposure to attack is not attracting their attention. My rule is to not fall and act like a broken fish. Sharks, Tigers in particular, are attracted to the sounds struggling fish make. The big ones, 15 feet plus are often territorial and hang out at a place for a while. The Kahalui Hilau(boat house) group put signs up, but still went in the water last saturday.

Another bit of advice is to not have any open cuts, bleeding, as sharks can smell very well in the water.

The frequency of attacks has not really increased that much here in Maui. The amount of people in the water has increased exponentially since the 90's.

Attacks on kite boarders is rarest as we move fast and tend to stay up. Swimmers, Paddleboarders and canoes tend to make good targets as they are slower and look like food.

Your odds of getting attacked by a shark are 1,000,000 to 1. Your odds of getting killed on the way to the airport are much better. Wear your seatbelt and bring all your kites.

If you wanna guide while your here give me a buzz,
Ron
541-980-6378
PS~My guide fee is a six pack of Kona beer.

voy-tech

Since 08 Apr 2014
372 Posts
Seattle
Obsessed

CGKA Member

PostTue Oct 28, 14 10:11 am    Re: Hey voy-tech Reply with quote

bulae99 wrote:
I'm gonna answer you on the forum as your question is a good one, ok?

Thanks Smile Sharks are my only concern at this point - and although I'm aware of the statistics the possibility of 1:1 with a shark (even a very slight possibility) is still a scary scenario. I'll bring my gear and see how it goes, if there will be ton of people on the water I'll definitely go, but probably won't be pushing new tricks or strapless riding Wink

rightguard

Since 22 Oct 2012
29 Posts
Maui

PostTue Oct 28, 14 10:22 am     Reply with quote

Sharks make me nervous as well but you only have one choice... Stay out of the water or try and forget about it.

Any day on Maui you can see tons of people body dragging, either taking lessons or self rescuing. Crazy thing is the only kiter ever bit was still on his board doing a jibe.

Personally I like to stay out of dirty water but even that's hard to do when the waves are big.

jackZ

Since 13 Apr 2008
355 Posts
Devon Alberta ca.
Obsessed

PostWed Oct 29, 14 12:44 am    bites Reply with quote

These concerns have been discussed quite a lot .
I recently travelled to Maui and with a new kiter . She had mentioned the word a few times and I didn't really talk much about it . It did play on me a few times while out for a swim to the bunker for a warm up . The waves move the shadows , where's that bunker , dam Laughing Whatever ! If that worried stay out . No cuts and don't bring your pet seal .
Ok but this really happened , it doesn't have to be salt water !
My friend and his wife went to a lake north of Edmonton alberta Canada . She was swimming about a hundred yards out and teasing him for procrastinating as the water is cold . He had been standing motionless a few moments knee deep at the weedy shoreline and finally decided to take the plunge . He stepped forward and before he could take a second step he was bitten in the calf ! A good size pike saw the flash of his white skin and decided he was lunch ! They can't eat you but the bite sure aches when they do get hold of you .
Something to think of and chuckle when sharky crosses your mind eh ?! let it go ..
JackZ

bdennis

Since 01 Jun 2007
50 Posts

PostThu Oct 30, 14 2:50 pm     Reply with quote

Hey, I just read that your 10m is wearing out.
I have a 2015pivot 10m pretty crispy new I think it's not for me.
Lemme know 509.sixthreeseven.4298 if you might be interested.
PS - i was just in maui for a couple weeks - man it was amazing!!!!

Saildoogie

Since 16 Oct 2013
77 Posts
White Salmon, WA

PostSat Nov 01, 14 4:44 pm     Reply with quote

Hi guys,
I'm heading to Maui in 10 days for some kiting. I have a 12,9,7.
Any opinions as to whether I should bother brining my 12? 7 and 9 enough?
Thanks
Doogie

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1470 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostSat Nov 01, 14 8:04 pm     Reply with quote

Saildoogie wrote:
Hi guys,
I'm heading to Maui in 10 days for some kiting. I have a 12,9,7.
Any opinions as to whether I should bother brining my 12? 7 and 9 enough?
Thanks
Doogie

I spent the last 2 Novembers in Maui. Last year I kited 25 days in November, all of them on my 10 and 12.
7 and 9 is not enough in November. Take all 3. If you're gonna leave one kite home - leave the 7.

rightguard

Since 22 Oct 2012
29 Posts
Maui

PostSat Nov 01, 14 11:25 pm     Reply with quote

I think it's honestly one of those who the hell knows kind of things. This week we will have days gusting to 40 and days you will wish you had a 16m. I personally dont own bigger then a 10m, if that doesn't work I do something else.

If I was coming on a kite vacation I would take every kite I owned. If I had to cut corners I would leave the large kite and have fun on the strong days... But it's really whatever you like.

beech

Since 21 Aug 2010
482 Posts
Longview, WA
Obsessed

PostSun Nov 02, 14 8:17 am     Reply with quote

bring all the kites. rent boards on the island. really convenient renting in kahului.

bulae99

Since 12 Jul 2006
1691 Posts

I give out bad advice.

PostFri Nov 07, 14 9:52 pm    The creature that ruins most holidays is a….. Reply with quote

There is little doubt that the shark is a potential vacation downer, but there is something smaller and far more difficult to avoid. The Sea Urchin, or Vaunna is a major problem.
Hidden in the reef and rock crevices beneath your feet is a spiny little bastard that can give you a nasty set of spines.

Sea Urchins are not something that people think about until they step on one, or two. The spines break off in your foot, or whatever the touch, and cause some major staff infections and in some cases serious reactions leading to major medical problems occur.

Be aware of them, and step lightly on the rocks as you come in or go out.

BigR

Since 05 Jul 2005
372 Posts
White Salmon
Obsessed

PostSat Nov 08, 14 12:11 pm     Reply with quote

We got those in Puerto Rico also.

They take about 6 months to finally come out of your foot...................
but they do eventually

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: