Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Flotation vest question?
Page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
voy-tech

Since 08 Apr 2014
372 Posts
Seattle
Obsessed

CGKA Member

PostThu Oct 09, 14 12:51 pm    Flotation vest question? Reply with quote

Hi, I'm looking for a flotation vest for the ocean sessions (last weekend was my first try at Manzanita and now i'm stoked to go back there asap). I've been looking around the internet and found two that look best:
* Pro Motion kite vest
* NPX Immortal (NP High Hook Vest)
Does anyone have experience with those - which one gives better flotation, and which one would you choose?
I'm also looking into getting a smaller one for my wife to boost her confidence when kiting on Columbia.

Thanks for the input.

Last edited by voy-tech on Thu Oct 09, 14 2:43 pm; edited 1 time in total

cathy o.

Since 11 Aug 2014
81 Posts

PostThu Oct 09, 14 1:39 pm     Reply with quote

I use the NPX Immortal. I'm a petite woman and wear the XS. I love it! Never kite without it. Gives me a bit of extra float if I have to swim and I don't even notice it on when I'm kiting. My 2 cents : )

skideeppow

Since 26 Aug 2011
518 Posts

Addicted

PostThu Oct 09, 14 2:31 pm     Reply with quote

dumb question, is a flotation vest and an impact vest the same thing?

voy-tech

Since 08 Apr 2014
372 Posts
Seattle
Obsessed

CGKA Member

PostThu Oct 09, 14 2:43 pm     Reply with quote

I believe they're quite similar by design but basically impact vest will offer limited flotation - since it's core design is to prevent injuries to ribs and back from crashes not to keep you afloat when you're tired and have issues with your kite in the middle of Columbia or off-shore on the coast.

sfbomber

Since 27 Jun 2012
112 Posts

Stoked

PostThu Oct 09, 14 2:53 pm     Reply with quote

I would highly recommend getting a coast guard approved PFD. Neither of those vests are. I used to use a vest like those and they don't keep your head above water. If you have to be in the water over night, you'll be wishing you had a coast guard approved PFD.

voy-tech

Since 08 Apr 2014
372 Posts
Seattle
Obsessed

CGKA Member

PostThu Oct 09, 14 3:01 pm     Reply with quote

sfbomber wrote:
I would highly recommend getting a coast guard approved PFD. Neither of those vests are. I used to use a vest like those and they don't keep your head above water. If you have to be in the water over night, you'll be wishing you had a coast guard approved PFD.

I think if I'll have to be in the ocean over night, the 2 pounds of floatation less in one of those vs. a CGA PFD probably will not be my biggest concern - since the temperature will kill me first. I'm a very good swimmer and I'm fine kiting without a vest and have been doing so for last 5 years - I'm looking for something that won't impede movements when surfing or doing tricks and give me just a little help in case waves destroy my kite.
If you know of a PFD that is not bulky and similar size as one of the mentioned vests let me know.

kiterbiker

Since 12 Jun 2010
65 Posts

PostThu Oct 09, 14 3:20 pm     Reply with quote

I use a Dakine Suface impact vest, its super floaty - Way more than most impact vests I have used, but isn't coast guard approved. I have no issues floating around in any conditions with it. It is not restrictive at all and it works seamlessly great with my waste harness(Its a slingshot harness)

jerp

Since 22 Feb 2013
450 Posts

Obsessed

PostThu Oct 09, 14 3:23 pm     Reply with quote

sfbomber wrote:

which one do you recommend? I would think its hard to find one that integrates with the harness

Sella

Since 21 Apr 2007
1794 Posts
Doin' The Dalles
FLY'IN HIGH PIE GUY

PostThu Oct 09, 14 3:24 pm     Reply with quote

I use the Pro Motion pull over 2m/15m kite vest and am happy with the freedom and snug fit. It feels like you're not wearing anything and any padding is from chest up so you become one with your harness. It also has a front pocket for easy access to the Waterfi etc. It's lighter and less cumbersome than the Dakine Surface Impact vest front zipper I was using before....which also felt snug and super floaty with double thickness and harness cut etc. I would take that into the ocean with no worries at all. No experience with the NPX.

They both easily keep my head above water (200 lbs) but never tested for 24 hours. Shocked I stopped wearing one but after a few self rescues picked up the Pro Motion for peace of mind. Wife is using the Dakine now.

Dakine pic attached. PM pullover is detailed @ 1:13 (I think they're about $100)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCK5RouM6c8

Dakine_Surface_Vest_2014__49872.1409570175.80.80.jpg 

hilton

Since 15 Aug 2008
787 Posts

Opinionated

PostThu Oct 09, 14 4:52 pm     Reply with quote

I also prefer the ProMotion pullover vest.

http://stores.wetsuit.com/pullover-kite-vest-jet-black-g05/

It's thin enough that it is more like wearing an extra wetsuit layer (under your harness) rather than a PFD. You don't really notice that you have it on until your kite goes down, then it has just enough flotation to keep your head comfortably above the water so you can focus on re-launching the kite. It is also great if the wind dies (or you lose everything) and you end up having to swim in.

voy-tech

Since 08 Apr 2014
372 Posts
Seattle
Obsessed

CGKA Member

PostThu Oct 09, 14 8:45 pm     Reply with quote

Thanks everyone - next time I'll be in HR I'll stop by Pro Motion store and try their vest, i think Big Winds have the other one so I might try that one as well.

SpaceRacer

Since 04 Nov 2007
434 Posts

Obsessed

PostFri Oct 10, 14 5:54 am     Reply with quote

I agree 100% with SFBomber. I wear a Liquid Force PFD kite vest. It is CGA and I don't even know it's there. Plus PFDs generally give you good options for securing a hook knife in handy spots. IMHO impact vests are spendy, less buoyant versions of a PFD. If you're new to the coast or the Columbia I think you would be happier with one.

Slappysan

Since 13 Jun 2012
308 Posts

Obsessed

PostFri Oct 10, 14 8:54 am     Reply with quote

I'm happy with my LF Luxury impact vest, it gives quite a bit of floatation and doesn't get in my way. I think it's called the Supreme these days though.

voy-tech

Since 08 Apr 2014
372 Posts
Seattle
Obsessed

CGKA Member

PostFri Oct 10, 14 9:10 am     Reply with quote

Honestly none of the LF force PFDs (http://www.liquidforce.com/vests.html) look like they would work nicely with a harness (no anchor to the spreader bar or additional neoprene to keep it in place) and the LF kite vests (http://liquidforcekites.com/product/vests) are impact vests and not PFDs (so offer similar floatation as the two mentioned in my first post) unless I'm looking at the wrong ones Wink

PieroPDX

Since 22 May 2006
109 Posts

Stoked

PostFri Oct 10, 14 10:04 am     Reply with quote

Definitely recommend the NPX Immortal over any impact vest. I've been using one for the past 3 years. Just don't stick your phone in the front pocket and forget to take it out before hitting the water, like I've done....twice. Razz

Jimbo

Since 16 Jul 2009
58 Posts
Seattle

PostMon Oct 13, 14 8:23 am     Reply with quote

I own a Liquid Force Coast Guard Approved (CGA) Kiteboarding vest and it is great. The problem is finding one that is CGA. I believe LF stopped making it in 2012. I've used mine a lot and wanted to get another as a spare. I couldn't find one so I bought the NPX Immortal High Hook vest.

The NPX Immortal High Hook vest is NOT a CGA vest but IMO has 95% of the float of the CGA vest. I was told that there is a lot of extra cost and time involved to get a vest CGA certified and it doesn't justify the cost for the manufacturer to jump through those hoops. I'm not an industry insider though and that is just hear say. With the High Hook Vest..the sizing is a little weird.

I ordered mine online and they make them in 3 sizes. XS/S, M/L, and XL/ XXL. I'm 5' 10" and 195lbs and the M/L is on the cusp of being too small for me especially with a wet suit. I'd be curious to try on the XL/XXL but I didn't order it because I feared it would be too big.

NPX Immortal High Hook vest is a nice vest, provides me plenty of movement and comes in a couple bright easy to see colors.

Be Stoked!!!

Blazeheliski

Since 30 Mar 2011
655 Posts
Mosier
Addicted

PostMon Oct 13, 14 10:09 am     Reply with quote

I had the Neil Pride high hook vest my first couple seasons. It worked well until I started trying to learn to jump. I had one really hard fall and the zipper exploded into a million pieces and I ended up with some broken ribs. I switched to an impact vest after that .......... Wink

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: