Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Lincoln City rescue on Sunday
Page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
cathy o.

Since 11 Aug 2014
81 Posts

PostMon Oct 06, 14 10:09 am    Lincoln City rescue on Sunday Reply with quote

Just wanted to extend my love and thanks to the kiter who rescued me at Lincoln City. I don't know him but his name is Tom and he has a bright, orange and black Naish kite and Washington plates on his truck. I owe him a beer and my life. He has a friend Jim or Rick? who also assisted from the beach.

Everyone on the beach acted decisively and quickly enough for me not to drown yesterday. Basically, I got taken out by a wave and ended up under my kite. Kite went down. It was on it's leading edge for a moment and I thought I might be able to get it up. Gave it a tug and then a huge wave crashed over it. Kite was not going to come up. I released the safety and the kite flagged out as it should and was getting rolled over by waves. I kept hold of that line in front of me so I wouldn't get wrapped up in the lines. At that point I was getting dragged in hard with the kite and getting smashed by waves. A couple of times I got dragged under the water. Mind you, I was also wearing a PFD. That's when i hit the eject button and released the kite from my chicken loop. I saw the kite flopping towards shore and my friends were able to gather it and my board. At that point I was on my own and tried to swim back to shore. It was suddenly apparent I was in the riptide and was getting nowhere. A kiter on shore was signaling for me to swim parallel, I tried but kept getting smashed by big waves and could barely stay afloat. Fatigue was starting to set in and I started waving my arms as a distress signal. I could still see my friends and Tom and Jim (?) on shore. A lot of things went racing through my head, it was surreal... Next thing I saw was a big, orange Naish kite coming right towards me and behind it Tom's zinc smeared, smiling face. He calmly asked how I was doing, told me I was going to be fine and to grab his harness and hang on... we were heading ashore. He body dragged himself and me back to the beach.

I'm telling this story because I'm still processing it and I think its good to know what goes down on a kite rescue. And to remember how important it is to keep a visual on other kiters, look for downed kites and to think and react quickly. I am so thankful for our community and how we look out for one another. This is an experience I will never forget.

Thank you all.

Sella

Since 21 Apr 2007
1794 Posts
Doin' The Dalles
FLY'IN HIGH PIE GUY

PostMon Oct 06, 14 10:37 am     Reply with quote

Go Tommy boy!!! Nicely played. Thanks for posting up your story Cathy and happy to read all worked out well. Thumb's Up

Wind Slither

Since 04 Mar 2005
2570 Posts
The 503
METAL

PostMon Oct 06, 14 11:39 am     Reply with quote

Thumb's Up Thumb's Up Thumb's Up

Gman

Since 11 Feb 2006
4907 Posts
Portland
Unstrapped

PostMon Oct 06, 14 12:15 pm     Reply with quote

good job Thumb's Up

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eu2pBpQolKE

Blazeheliski

Since 30 Mar 2011
655 Posts
Mosier
Addicted

PostMon Oct 06, 14 12:45 pm     Reply with quote

I was having my own struggles just down wind of you - so I did not notice anyone down. But I did see the rescue crew come down the beach to render aid. I am happy to hear that you are OK! Nice job to the kiters that helped you!

D-Krep It Kiter

Since 18 Jul 2011
417 Posts

Obsessed

PostMon Oct 06, 14 12:57 pm     Reply with quote

Great story, thanks for sharing! The surf zone can be a tough place to "remain calm"... sounds like you did everything right and made good decisions... nice work Tom on the rescue! Thumb's Up

Anthony

Since 07 Oct 2008
362 Posts
Salem
Obsessed

CGKA Member

PostMon Oct 06, 14 1:34 pm     Reply with quote

Roads End is tough beach for beginner kiters. That location has one nasty rip. I had my own rip incident last year at Roads Ends. After windsurfing the Oregon Coast for 20+ years and enduring several long swims with rips, I never thought I would need rescuing as I did last year kiting at Roads End. Just swim sideways right, not this time. I just could not swim hard enough sideways to get out of that rip. It was like an eddy, spinning round and round. Humbling!!!! I was in no risk of drowning, but I was very tired. Finally in the end, I accepted a tow in.

Lesson learned
I knew the rip was bad when I saw it from shore upon arrival. I will respect it now.

Pump the kite to max pressure every time. My kite at the time was on the light end, not good.

If the kite is in the waves, flag out now. That would have saved my kite from damage.

Release if possible, depending upon the situation.

Take help when offered!

cathy o.

Since 11 Aug 2014
81 Posts

PostMon Oct 06, 14 1:48 pm     Reply with quote

Thanks Anthony.
You are exactly right about that rip feeling like an eddy... or more like a big washing machine... just getting tossed and turned. I was trapped and powerless. When I first arrived at the beach I knew it was too big for me out there and a bit beyond my comfort level and experience. I was also aware of where the rip was and started way upwind of it. Well, I went out anyway... and for 15 minutes or so was on top of the world! Then, well... you know the rest...

flipper

Since 17 Oct 2011
320 Posts

Obsessed

PostMon Oct 06, 14 6:35 pm     Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing. I've been surfing Oregon in 8-10 and was way over my head. What was it out that day, 7? I'm wondering though, on the Oregon coast, do life jackets make it harder to escape rips? Since wave pushes the floaty rider toward shore and the rip tugs the rider out, it seems like it could be nastier with a pfd??

Wind Slither

Since 04 Mar 2005
2570 Posts
The 503
METAL

PostMon Oct 06, 14 7:51 pm     Reply with quote

Other than maybe slowing you down a little, I wouldn't think a PFD is too much of a negative when battling big rips and poundings.

With the Big Southerly Season upon us this is a good reminder.

Cathy, it sounds being dragged under by your downed kite freaked you out and you decided to separate. If the kite was still floating (maybe not re-launch-able, but floating), you're going to come back up, and the waves pushing on the downed kite are taking you where you want to go. As long as you stay clear of your lines, being connected to the kite is an asset.

Many will argue to separate early in an 'impact zone' situation, usually for the sake of the kite. But once you do, you're just another flea in the punch bowl as your story highlights. My general survival strategy while connected, is swim to the shore and away from the kite (keeping some tension in the lines). Anticipate when a wave is going to hit the kite, grab a deep breath, torpedo your body, and enjoy a rocket boost toward the shore. Many times I would have happily traded cost of a repair to feel the sand under my feet.

Also, understand that it may take a while to get in. You may be getting pummeled, but if you stay calm, grab big breaths when you need to, and work your way out of those rips, you'll get in.

Above all, never EVER drop your kite! Very Happy

Gman

Since 11 Feb 2006
4907 Posts
Portland
Unstrapped

PostTue Oct 07, 14 9:16 am     Reply with quote

flipper wrote:
, do life jackets make it harder to escape rips? Since wave pushes the floaty rider toward shore and the rip tugs the rider out, it seems like it could be nastier with a pfd??

No not really, you can actually duck dive a 15ft wave with a rather large pfd if you are properly motivated - some rips might take you to the next county so the pfd might be the only thing to save you when you are completely drained or if a buddy isn't around to drag your carcass in

my bro Matt has a pimp dual inflatable quatic pfd
http://www.towsurfer.com/Towstore/showProduct.asp?lCat=6&pID=99

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eu2pBpQolKE

cathy o.

Since 11 Aug 2014
81 Posts

PostTue Oct 07, 14 9:39 am     Reply with quote

Wind Slither. You are right. The kite was floating and pulling me in. I was getting short of breath and the feeling of getting dragged under was unnerving. That is the time I really needed to 'relax', grab a deep breath and enjoy the torpedo ride to shore. A little more patience would have made the difference. And me knowing that was going to happen would have allowed me to ride it out a little longer instead of ejecting. Thanks for sharing that advice.

cathy o.

Since 11 Aug 2014
81 Posts

PostTue Oct 07, 14 9:45 am     Reply with quote

I have the NPX Immortal Vest and it's nice because it provides just enough float but you don't really notice it on. There was a point when I was hanging on to it to make sure it didn't get ripped off...

Kraemer

Since 24 Apr 2006
1735 Posts
Sky Pilot
Unicorn Captain

PostTue Oct 07, 14 10:07 am     Reply with quote

Where was I when this all went down ?!

Great Job Tom--
Def. saw the rip-- it was hard not to notice.
I did think it was stange why everyone was riding right in it.!
Always avoid the rip, the wave had better form without it.

1P8A3971.jpg 
   1P8A4084.jpg 

pro sthetic

Since 01 Oct 2012
6 Posts
pdx
Kook

PostTue Oct 07, 14 10:59 am    inflatable life vest Reply with quote

http://quaticapparel.com/products/inflatable-surf-vest

yeah, this works great. doesn't feel bulky. purchase from:

http://www.ossiessurfshop.com/

I use it only on bigger surf days. Gives tons of confidence.

expensive. But what's your life worth?

blancoh2o

Since 15 Mar 2005
1153 Posts
Oregon
Phishy

PostTue Oct 07, 14 8:43 pm     Reply with quote

Often times there is a long shore current that runs from North to South at Roads End. Even in waist deep water it can sweep you off your feet. Also the offshore rip can swirl in some odd eddy currents there. If you are going to try and swim for it, swim South and with the long shore current. Trying to swim to the North is like swimming up a swift river.
True that ditching the kite will save the kite. Try to make the assessment to ditch or not ditch based on the possibility of re-launching which is always the best scenario. If you can't relaunch, can you swim in? Is the current pulling you out or in? How is your energy level? I know that's a lot to think about but the ocean is to be respected and you need to keep a level head out there. It sounds like you made good decisions and everything worked out in the end.
Good job with the rescue guys.

https://kb4c.rallyup.com/kb4c/286ef9/Member

Aeolus

Since 20 Apr 2010
354 Posts
Gold Beach, OR
OR-SoCo-Aficionado

PostWed Oct 08, 14 7:07 pm     Reply with quote

Welcome to the club Alien Alien
Way to keep it together
the first kite-down magic porpoise ride can be intimidating. You will eventually experience the just-in-time, omfg, gotta-get-this-p.o.s in the air, almighty relaunch. Total bliss Exclamation

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: