Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Advice on suicide settings
Page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Loneski

Since 18 Dec 2010
103 Posts
Washington
Stoked

PostTue Sep 16, 14 10:25 pm    Advice on suicide settings Reply with quote

On bars with a centerline safety system what is the best way to attach? Should you loop through the chicken loop and your centerline ring. That way if you unhook you can still pull the kite back but in emergency situation you can still pull your safety. What are other options to avoid having the bar travel all the way to the kite and the risk of tangles.

consumer

Since 28 Nov 2010
406 Posts
banned
Obsessed

PostWed Sep 17, 14 4:49 am     Reply with quote

That actually sounds better than what I do right now which is connect right to where the donkey D attaches - that steel hole. It always makes me a little nervous about what I would do if I got into a jam and had to release so I make sure to switch back to the CSS whenever I am in a situation where I might use the release i.e. launching/landing or extremely busy or overpowered conditions.

The one thing I would check though is if the CSS bungie gets any tension from being looped around the chicken loop. For many of my 2012 and 2013 bars I have noticed that as the center sheeting rope stretches the CSS bungie becomes too short and starts to pull on that front line. Pulling in some depower relieves this tension.

thanks.

chrissmack

Since 08 Jun 2005
515 Posts
portland
Addicted

PostWed Sep 17, 14 5:55 am    Re: Advice on suicide settings Reply with quote

Loneski wrote:
Should you loop through the chicken loop .

what does that look like?

i personally just suicide onto the donkey dick clip like consumer.

but i don't do this until i have launched the kite and am out riding. and i detatch the leash before i come in and land.

when launching and landing, i only have my chicken loop hooked to the spreader bar. if things really go south, then bye bye kite and i'll deal with the consequences later

btw, i've never had a problem riding suicide, but have had problems with tangles lines when i used to rig using the CSS.

stringy

Since 23 Jun 2006
1724 Posts
vancouver
XTreme Poster

PostWed Sep 17, 14 7:46 am     Reply with quote

are you using the slingshot bar for suicide?

Loneski

Since 18 Dec 2010
103 Posts
Washington
Stoked

PostWed Sep 17, 14 8:42 am     Reply with quote

I have a compstick and a bws undertow bar. What about hooking to your depower line and your chicken loop? No manufacturer wants to give advice for riding suicide and I haven't found much discussion about different ideas online.
Sounds like lots of people do it without much thought.

K2

Since 30 Apr 2009
274 Posts
Hood River, OR
Obsessed

PostWed Sep 17, 14 8:51 am     Reply with quote

What model year bar do you have dude? I have some advice for how to hook up suicide but there are different ways to do it depending on what kind of gear you have with your bar. If it's a Slingy bar I should be able to help but it would help to know what you're working with.

Loneski

Since 18 Dec 2010
103 Posts
Washington
Stoked

PostWed Sep 17, 14 9:08 am     Reply with quote

This is a couple pictures of options for the undertow bar.
Will that work or is there a better way?

image.jpg
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  image.jpg
 Filesize:  828.82 KB
 Downloaded:  785 Time(s)
 Note:  Use Pixlr to resize images to lower than 1024x768 resolution so they show up inline.

image.jpg
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  image.jpg
 Filesize:  924.14 KB
 Downloaded:  793 Time(s)
 Note:  Use Pixlr to resize images to lower than 1024x768 resolution so they show up inline.

K2

Since 30 Apr 2009
274 Posts
Hood River, OR
Obsessed

PostWed Sep 17, 14 9:28 am     Reply with quote

Both of those options pictured seem like they would work to me. I think you can also thread your CL itself through the metal ring if it will fit. Basically you pull your release and run the metal ring through the CL and then hook everything back up and hook your leash up to the ring that is on the CL. I've never used the undertow bar but it seems like that should work right?

On your Slingshot bar, you should have a metal hole fixed to the base of your release system which is where I hook my leash up to when riding suicide.

I hope that helps!

D-Krep It Kiter

Since 18 Jul 2011
417 Posts

Obsessed

PostWed Sep 17, 14 10:35 am     Reply with quote

North recommends the chicken loop through the ring method, but their ring is quite large. With the smaller ring, there might be an issue with the chicken loop binding inside the ring when you activate the safety release. With the bigger ring, theoretically it will just slide off the chicken loop. Here's a pic from the manual:

Screen shot 2014-09-17 at 11.28.51 AM.png 

Loneski

Since 18 Dec 2010
103 Posts
Washington
Stoked

PostWed Sep 17, 14 6:02 pm     Reply with quote

Thanks for the info!

Halfsharkalligatorhalfman

Since 17 Feb 2012
47 Posts

PostWed Sep 17, 14 8:19 pm    Suicide Reply with quote

This is what I have always done with all my Compsticks. 1 remove the clutter. 2 hook leash to depower. 3 ride and unhook! 4 crash and burn 5 real in 5 foot of leash and four feet of depower. 6 hook in and ride again. When you do this your kite stays flying 95% depowered, likely 10-50% more than suicide. You have to remove the clutter including the CSS or it will jam into the bar and you will be in for a kitemare.

20140917_210754_resized.jpg
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  20140917_210754_resized.jpg
 Filesize:  414 KB
 Downloaded:  770 Time(s)

Loneski

Since 18 Dec 2010
103 Posts
Washington
Stoked

PostWed Sep 17, 14 8:51 pm     Reply with quote

Great idea. What would be the downside?

Halfsharkalligatorhalfman

Since 17 Feb 2012
47 Posts

PostWed Sep 17, 14 9:40 pm     Reply with quote

Less clutter? Use an old string or pigtail to replace the CSS line at the endless loop connection that or simply cut the the CSS behind the stitching and melt the end. The only downside is you have to reassemble if you want to resell. One of the best benefits of this modification is the nine feet of stretch before you get yarded; this gives the kite and and sometimes the victim crucial split seconds of response time.

The Borginsteiner

Since 13 Oct 2012
60 Posts

PostThu Sep 18, 14 10:06 am    Re: Suicide Reply with quote

Halfsharkalligatorhalfman wrote:
This is what I have always done with all my Compsticks. 1 remove the clutter. 2 hook leash to depower. 3 ride and unhook! 4 crash and burn 5 real in 5 foot of leash and four feet of depower. 6 hook in and ride again. When you do this your kite stays flying 95% depowered, likely 10-50% more than suicide. You have to remove the clutter including the CSS or it will jam into the bar and you will be in for a kitemare.

Got to be the worst set-up I've ever seen - just sayin'

The Borginsteiner

consumer

Since 28 Nov 2010
406 Posts
banned
Obsessed

PostThu Sep 18, 14 11:21 am     Reply with quote

Cool idea hooking it to the depower, but how is that different from letting the bar slide all the way up ( sheeting all the way out?) looks to me like it does the exact same thing.

Edit: oh I guess you get 2x the length after looking at the pic.

Loneski

Since 18 Dec 2010
103 Posts
Washington
Stoked

PostThu Sep 18, 14 1:12 pm     Reply with quote

Why do you think it is such a bad idea? @ borgensteiner

dyyylan

Since 14 May 2014
26 Posts
Hood River

PostThu Sep 18, 14 1:39 pm     Reply with quote

consumer wrote:
Cool idea hooking it to the depower, but how is that different from letting the bar slide all the way up ( sheeting all the way out?) looks to me like it does the exact same thing.

Edit: oh I guess you get 2x the length after looking at the pic.

Yeah, the pre-2015 LF bars had a long depower handle specifically for attaching the leash to, they called it "90% depower" mode. It was basically suicide but it depowers the kite almost completely (90%, apparently). With the envy, it pretty much always would kill the power as soon as I dropped the bar, and would slide across the window on the water into the relaunch position, just sitting on a wingtip waiting for you. I don't particularly like below the bar depower but that leashing option worked really well.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: