Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

The one that got away.... a Rooster Booster fish story

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Mark

Since 20 Jun 2005
3677 Posts
I need my fix because I'm a
Naishaholic

PostFri Sep 12, 14 7:46 pm    The one that got away.... a Rooster Booster fish story Reply with quote

Doing a downwinder today at Rooster on my nine. Nice and windy, could have been on a six but wanted to do some boosting. Trip going well. Lots of big boosting, nice and warm, and enjoying the remaining summer. I do another boost and upon landing I hit something. My first thought was a submerged log. I thought for sure I broke a fin or worse. I looked around and to my surprise discovered I hit a salmon. A nice 8-10 pounder. I quickly turned back and found him. He was stunned and swimming in circles. I reached in and grabbed him just above his tail. I was flying the kite with one hand and wrestling him with the other. Needless to say he was not happy. I had him in my lap and tried to take off to shore. He became very agitated and flopped around a lot. I lost control of him. I made another quick tack and found him trying to head to the bottom. I grabbed him again and got him out of the water. (holding him again near tail.) Sent the kite and headed to shore. He started flopping again. Gradually working his way out of being stunned. He was able to shake out of my grip again. Knak was nearby and came in to assist. But the salmon was now no longer stunned. He was last seen swimming to the bottom.

Lessons learned....
Grab him by the gills.
Put safety leash thru gills like a stringer.
Have GoPro turned on....

www.naishkites.com

flipper

Since 17 Oct 2011
320 Posts

Obsessed

PostFri Sep 12, 14 7:59 pm     Reply with quote

Sweet story! Supposed to be 1.5M migrating up the river this season. Don't let fish and wildlife see you take the fishy without a license though. They are Nazis.

kss

Since 24 Apr 2006
613 Posts
pdx
Addicted

PostSat Sep 13, 14 7:23 am     Reply with quote

You needed a foil!! Where's them foil skilzzzz when you need em? Mr. Green Mr. Green Good fish story!!

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4199 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostSat Sep 13, 14 7:37 am     Reply with quote

Damn Mark, I wanted a salmon BBQ! At least you were able to grab it; I couldn't even touch the fish. Not stunned enough; he just kept swimming barely out of my reach...

Slappysan

Since 13 Jun 2012
308 Posts

Obsessed

PostSat Sep 13, 14 9:19 pm     Reply with quote

flipper wrote:
Don't let fish and wildlife see you take the fishy without a license though. They are Nazis.

I dunno about Oregon but catching fish that way in many places would be considered the same as foul hooking and usually requires they be freed. Just saying even a license might not save you from fish and wildlife.

Gman

Since 11 Feb 2006
4907 Posts
Portland
Unstrapped

PostSun Sep 14, 14 6:22 am     Reply with quote

Quit fondling my fish !

image.jpg 
   image.jpg 

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eu2pBpQolKE

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: