Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Experts only at threemile please
Page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Justsmile

Since 20 Jul 2009
1523 Posts
Not Portland
XTreme Poster

PostThu Sep 11, 14 7:27 pm     Reply with quote

every place is an advanced launch if you are careless and a dumbass!!!! IT does not matter with the wind and water as they do not stop on command!!!!

wylieflyote

Since 30 Jun 2006
1634 Posts
Puget Sound & Wa. Coast
XTreme Poster

PostFri Sep 12, 14 7:11 am     Reply with quote

Interesting post/thread. I am always stumped when I learn stories about very experienced kiters also having horrific accidents in almost benign conditions. Example: Expert kite face-plants in 6" sandbar pond water (unconscious) , expert kiter teabagged into concrete outhouse (near Las Vegas), expert kiter sky-lofted at Sherman... landing 1/4 mile downwind with life threatening issues.

Not sure if "expert only" is an absolute qualifier for where to/not-to kite. I know many intermediate kiters who know and love 3-Mile... but with healthy a dose of mature caution.

flipper

Since 17 Oct 2011
320 Posts

Obsessed

PostFri Sep 12, 14 8:18 am     Reply with quote

puffnstuff is a mule account. I think someone posted twice (besides me) on this thread.

30knotwind

Since 20 Apr 2012
36 Posts
White Salmon, WA

PostFri Sep 12, 14 8:18 am     Reply with quote

I windsurf there all the time and a kite incident/accident occurs ~60% of the days I am there: parking lot drag, lines tangled in gear, kites dropped on on vehicles, wind shut-off rescues--I have personally dragged several kiters back to to the launch because the wind can die quickly.

I don't know if it is an expert launch, but it's best to have VERY strong land skills before you fly a kite from this parking lot. And, you should know, without hesitation, how to release the kite to avoid incidents. (I was there for the body slam into the trailer and the guy was not quick enough to release or had not prepared his gear properly.)

Please be considerate of other people's safety and gear FIRST.
Chris

SpaceRacer

Since 04 Nov 2007
434 Posts

Obsessed

PostFri Sep 12, 14 8:24 am     Reply with quote

I don't think expert vs. novice has anything to do with this launch. It is either dangerous or not. It is a dangerous launch for everyone.

wylieflyote

Since 30 Jun 2006
1634 Posts
Puget Sound & Wa. Coast
XTreme Poster

PostFri Sep 12, 14 8:30 am     Reply with quote

Honestly I've only kited there once. And on this visit I elected to launch in the windsurfers launch located at the end of the road up around and 1/4 mile west of the main launch. Holey crap.... now THAT just might need to be called expert only. Imagine a narrow lane to stretch out the lines & kite, no wider than a bowling alley, super strong 7M winds, rip-rap & chaparral on leeward side. Only plus is there is nobody near but myself to kill.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: