Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Experts only at threemile please
Page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
puffnstuff

Since 10 Sep 2014
1 Posts

PostWed Sep 10, 14 5:37 pm    Experts only at threemile please Reply with quote

Threemile canyon is an expert windsurfing and kiting spot. Sure, the lagoon is "friendly", but to get into the lagoon you have to launch from the parking lot, and there is nothing friendly about launching from here. Just ask the guy who got slammed into the side of a utility trailer labor day weekend. Thankfully, he's okay...just some cuts and bruises and incredibly shaken up...and a busted kite.

Kiters are now launching at the lower parking lot right in the middle of a lot of action and hazards. People, cars, trailers, RVs, other people's gear, dogs are all right there. And the wind can be is flukey as hell. The average kiter should not be putting themselves and others (and others' property) at risk by launching here. Experts only, please, and even then, watch out! With this many people around and large objects to get slammed into and tangled in, YOU HAVE TO BE IN CONTROL EVERY TIME.

The less known upper parking area (an access road leads west from the main parking lot) has a long beach with cleaner wind for launching and none of the chaos and hazards of the main parking lot. Still experts only, since launching here puts you into advance sailing conditions.

mxwllms

Since 26 Jul 2006
110 Posts
Boring, Or
Stoked

PostWed Sep 10, 14 9:08 pm     Reply with quote

Nice first post... Such a contribution to the forum. We all know that kiting is dangerous and to be careful. It seems that you are trying to scare beginners away from the spot... Most likely because you don't like crowds? It's no more dangerous than any other spot and the wind is fine at the launch. It is very suitable for the "average kiter" and not even close to "expert only". but hey.. you're the expert. Rolling Eyes don't be that guy. If you have a safety concern tell us. Don't try to ban the newer riders. Injuries happen everywhere.

cgka

Since 18 Jul 2006
278 Posts

Obsessed

PostWed Sep 10, 14 9:40 pm     Reply with quote

To be fair, Puffnstuff does not call out anyone in this post.

It is a bit on the heavy side for excluding only for Experts, but it is true that most all kiting or windsurfing at 3Mile is specifically for very strong wind strengths, that there are specifically dangerous obstructions just downwind of the launch, and that, like any highwind launch, the gusty-ness of the launch site requires at minimum a strong intermediate skill level to deal with the conditions and to know how to move swiftly out into the main channel.

i believe Puff's main concern is specifically for those kiters who are beginning to launch in other parts of the area that are much less safe than the traditional launch location.

Maybe Puff can post a follow up clarification on what they are seeing as dangerous and what others can do to avoid repeating these same dangerous scenarios.

Kraemer

Since 24 Apr 2006
1735 Posts
Sky Pilot
Unicorn Captain

PostWed Sep 10, 14 10:15 pm     Reply with quote

Great Reply CGKA!!

Certainly, Puff is pissed.
And we all know about getting pissey at our launch.
And if you've kited for long enough, you're bound to
have experienced some type of physical destruction
to your body or your kite. We all pray that it's not
hard hitting or long lasting. Sorry about that incident
Puff. I hope everyone's ok, and can continue kiting
the very next day. That's my main concern. If you can't
kite again right after a kitemare, then it truly was
something you don't want to remember. I hope it
wasn't that kind of day for the kiteboarder involved.
Three mile seems kinda ok to me, but then again I can
wreck myself on the simplest of beaches. Yeah, puff you
sucked me in. Now lets see something positive.

flipper

Since 17 Oct 2011
320 Posts

Obsessed

PostThu Sep 11, 14 6:41 am    Re: Experts only at threemile please Reply with quote

The average kiter should not be putting themselves and (and others' property) at risk by launching here.

He's getting tired of cleaning grease spots off his new Landcruiser. Shocked

bdennis

Since 01 Jun 2007
50 Posts

PostThu Sep 11, 14 7:54 am     Reply with quote

Gotta chime in on this one... I think it's a great beginner spot. Self launching/landing there feels super safe to me. I pull my car right up to the far west side of the boat ramp, close to the water with my trailer hitch pointing northeast. I use the trailer hitch with a short leash/carabiner to hook to the chicken loop. You can also use the bushes down at the waters edge but thats a bit harder to tie off securely.
The anchored self-launch and self-land works so good, I think it's good to have beginners do it that way - it empowers them, too. You only disconnect from the anchor when the kite is safely out over the water.

not on board

Since 08 May 2009
39 Posts
United States

PostThu Sep 11, 14 7:55 am     Reply with quote

For us Idaho kiters, 3 mile is the first area we get too and for a lot of us it is one of our favorites. I have kited their several times and in no way would call that an expert only launch. It is so much larger and safer then what we get in and around the Boise area. Please don't try to scare people because you witnessed a single accident. But I agree that all kiters should identify the obstacles down wind of them and be ready to pull the qr should the launch go pear shaped.
See you on the snow, lets hope we get some good coverage this year.

deminimis

Since 15 Jul 2014
326 Posts
On the Rocks
Obsessed

PostThu Sep 11, 14 1:27 pm     Reply with quote

Surprised when I saw this thread. I certainly understand the OP's concerns, but I politely disagree (damn I'm diplomatic). Back at least as far as '91, 3-Mile was touted as a great beginner spot for sailboarding (I think it was in the Gorge Guide, but may have been in a different local publication). We stop by there now and then (last week even). Nothing really has changed since '91 (well, climate, economy, twerking, etc., but 3-Mile is pretty much the same). Watch for rattlers (there are plenty). Next westerly weekend, the Nuggets and I'll will be there camping all weekend and dragging around the pond as it still is a decent place for noobs like us to practice kite control. Despite the host of stuff that could seriously damage a kite in that area, I'd venture to say 3-Mile is safer than dragging around with the mass of humanity found at the sandbar in HR and not for experts only.

dude abides

Since 06 Apr 2014
52 Posts
Bend, OR

PostThu Sep 11, 14 2:00 pm    Where is 3 mile? Reply with quote

If Puff's intent with that subject line was reverse psychology, it certainly worked....as beg/int kiter I am now completely intrigued and must know where this "killer" spot is... where bad shit happens (according to some) and a great kiting location (according to others).

Someone wanna spell out the directions along I-84?

deminimis

Since 15 Jul 2014
326 Posts
On the Rocks
Obsessed

PostThu Sep 11, 14 2:05 pm    Re: Where is 3 mile? Reply with quote

74scout wrote:
If Puff's intent with that subject line was reverse psychology, it certainly worked....as beg/int kiter I am now completely intrigued and must know where this "killer" spot is... where bad shit happens (according to some) and a great kiting location (according to others).

Someone wanna spell out the directions along I-84?

No. Too dangerous. Very Happy

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2057 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostThu Sep 11, 14 2:15 pm    Rent Fight Club PuffnStuff Reply with quote

Hey puffnstuff, the best way to keep people from not coming to your precious spot is NOT TO TALK ABOUT IT EVER.

I think you should rent the movie Fight Club and retain the main message from it.

Lots of tall grasses and lots of rattle snakes.

Last edited by Sasquatch on Thu Sep 11, 14 3:38 pm; edited 1 time in total

beefcake

Since 11 Jul 2007
140 Posts

Stoked

PostThu Sep 11, 14 2:34 pm    poleboarder guide to 3-mile Reply with quote

http://gorgewindsurfing.org/local-knowledge/map-guide/

MikeZ

Since 17 Jul 2012
207 Posts
Beaverton / Seaside / Govy
Stoked

PostThu Sep 11, 14 2:34 pm     Reply with quote

What are the pro's and con's of Arlington vs Roosevelt? Never been to either, but I've heard Roosevelt has a really nice launch area.

Of course, as my windsurfing coworker says "the wind sensor is gone - you can't sail there anymore." (He's kidding...)

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2057 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostThu Sep 11, 14 3:11 pm     Reply with quote

MikeZ wrote:
What are the pro's and con's of Arlington vs Roosevelt? Never been to either, but I've heard Roosevelt has a really nice launch area.

Of course, as my windsurfing coworker says "the wind sensor is gone - you can't sail there anymore." (He's kidding...)

Roosevelt is very nice. . .wind shadowed launch, but way better than Arlington. I've scouted out the launch at Arlington on my way back from the "experts only" spot up river, but never have done it. People do it, but it totally freaks me out. No do-overs on this launch; lots of hard objects downwind. One can do a nice 20 mile downwinder if the wind is strong enough from Rosey to the "experts only" spot or to the Washington side. If you breakdown at the "experts only" spot and end up on the Washington side, it's like 90 miles back or something like that via bridge and roads. It is a smart idea to clip on a pair of sandals with a carabiner in case of a breakdown as the shores are very rugged with lots of plants and sharp things.

Last edited by Sasquatch on Thu Sep 11, 14 3:50 pm; edited 1 time in total

deminimis

Since 15 Jul 2014
326 Posts
On the Rocks
Obsessed

PostThu Sep 11, 14 3:33 pm     Reply with quote

Has anyone ever splashed a boat at 3 Mile (from this point forth, I shall only refer to it as "Danger Bay")? The boat launch appears decent, but really wondering the depth out to the channel. Not only is it a good beginner site, it's a good place to get skunked. Might drag our WB boat along next time we head that direction...just in case the wind gods spite me.

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2057 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostThu Sep 11, 14 3:37 pm     Reply with quote

Just an FYI to the newbies and kooks, 3 mile can be very dangerous outside of the lagoon area.

http://www.nwkite.com/forums/t-17470.html

Hood River resident Jeff Young dies at 3-Mile
Fellow windsurfers find sail, Coast Guard locates body
By ADAM LAPIERRE
News staff writer
Conditions Monday in the eastern Gorge were nearly unsailable, with sustained winds reaching 60-plus miles an hour east of Arlington. Only a handful of windsurfers braved the high winds and massive swell, and among them 48-year old Hood River resident Jeff Young was one of the strongest.
Young was last seen sailing around 3:30 p.m. at the area east of Arlington known as 3 Mile Canyon. With about 10 other windsurfers in the water at the time, Young disappeared and his board and sail washed up on shore shortly after. Those who were sailing with him quickly began a search, but he was not found until around midnight, by the crew of a U.S. Coast Guard helicopter using night vision devices. His body was found approximately three miles down river from where he was last seen.
“We pulled his board in and started looking for him right away,” said Dayna Reed, who was sailing with Young that day. “Jeff was one of the most consistently nice guys in the Gorge, and one of the strongest sailors out there. It was so windy and so cold that, under those conditions, in that location, there’s very little chance of rescue.”
Reed said that while fellow sailors were searching for Young, police and rescue personnel showed up to help. It was too windy for boat operations, so units from Morrow County Sheriff’s Office, Columbia Intertribal Fisheries, Oregon State Police, Morrow County Health District and Klickitat County Sheriff’s Office searched from the shore.
“Jeff was a very solid windsurfer,” said Temira Wagonfeld, who was also on the water with Young. “But he wasn’t wearing a helmet and it was by far one of the windiest days I’ve ever sailed. I’d guess it was blowing in the 40-60 range, with gusts higher than that.”
“I think this is a reality check about how dangerous it can be out there at times,” Reed said. “This is a tragic reminder of the decisions we make, and the risks we take by going out in those conditions.”
According to the Morrow County Sheriff’s office, Young’s cause of death will be determined by the Gilliam County Medical Examiner.
Young is survived by his daughter, Hannah, who is a sophomore at Hood River Valley High School. In 2003 Hannah’s mother, Connie, passed away suddenly at their home.
Funeral arrangements for Young are pending and will be handled by Andersons Tribute Center.

Freeride Kiter

Since 08 Jul 2011
698 Posts
Alaska / PNW / Baja
Instructor

PostThu Sep 11, 14 7:18 pm     Reply with quote

I think most everyone considers it an advanced riding area and an advanced launch.
Even if both east and west launches are packed people are going to keep trying to squeeze in because they drove so far to get there. I too have seen lines get run over, kites Hindenburg vehicles and fences and I've seen people body drag across the parking lot - It can get crazy for sure.

If it's continually referred to and described as an "advanced skills" area, that would be due diligence I'd think. Unfortunately not everyone has the right combination of tact, personality, concern and knowledge to be able to go up to people and give them the run down without hurting feelings or being an ass.

I love riding 3 mile, I consider it a real treat when I get out there and I'd hate for it to be marred by accidents or worse - shut down.

www.freeridekiting.com

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: