Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

please help Manzo gurus - wind friday

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
chrissmack

Since 08 Jun 2005
515 Posts
portland
Addicted

PostFri Aug 22, 14 9:16 am    please help Manzo gurus - wind friday Reply with quote

not the strongest setup, but looks decent.

anyone got a morning onsite to share? or veteran vibe for the wind today?

thanks,
chris

Blazeheliski

Since 30 Mar 2011
655 Posts
Mosier
Addicted

PostFri Aug 22, 14 10:05 am     Reply with quote

Looks like it just switched on at 11 am. I am not onsite - but an early start can generally be a good sign for the rest of the day.

chrissmack

Since 08 Jun 2005
515 Posts
portland
Addicted

PostFri Aug 22, 14 10:23 am     Reply with quote

awesome! thanks. we are going for it. hopefully on the beach by 2

macgruber

Since 06 Dec 2011
490 Posts
SE PDX volcano
Obsessed

PostFri Aug 22, 14 1:32 pm     Reply with quote

Good call. I was out there the last 2 nights but had to leave at 11 this morning. It was in the low teens and sunny with arch cape and canon beach fogged in. Often this setup is a little gustier. I kitesurf shows 22 avg 15-29mph now. Should last till at least 6

macgruber

Since 06 Dec 2011
490 Posts
SE PDX volcano
Obsessed

PostFri Aug 22, 14 1:36 pm     Reply with quote

Oh yeah, looks like they are done wigh the bridge work with flagger on 26. Also, if I don't have pukey kids in the back seat, I'll take 53 on summer weekends to avoid some traffic. It's 10min faster but Very curvy. Perfect road for a WRX

juandesooka

Since 21 Jan 2014
98 Posts

PostFri Aug 22, 14 9:07 pm     Reply with quote

First manzo session today...me likey. Maybe 25kts when rigging. ..went for 6m instead on 8m. Pretty holey wind....on gusts glad to have small kite but a few underpowered moments. Overall.....super fun. Hope for more tomorrow!

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2060 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostSat Aug 23, 14 6:37 am     Reply with quote

juandesooka wrote:
First manzo session today...me likey. Maybe 25kts when rigging. ..went for 6m instead on 8m. Pretty holey wind....on gusts glad to have small kite but a few underpowered moments. Overall.....super fun. Hope for more tomorrow!

A serving of Classic Manzo (unlike most of this year). If more North wind, sail farther down away from the mountain (try the last street that boarders the state park; Glenessin Ln) or the day use trail at the state park.
It tends to fillin more than up closer to the motel w/pool on Ocean Rd.

chrissmack

Since 08 Jun 2005
515 Posts
portland
Addicted

PostSat Aug 23, 14 7:45 pm     Reply with quote

Friday was a blast! thanks for the onsites and info.

Did it ever come up Saturday? we bailed and headed back to portland around 1:00pm....

juandesooka

Since 21 Jan 2014
98 Posts

PostSat Aug 23, 14 7:52 pm     Reply with quote

Saturday...trainer kite with the kids 2 pm. All of a sudden substantially power conditions. About the same as fri...maybe a little more. Very holey to north of the bay. Better further down at end of houses.

And that's it for me...see you next year.

jeremy

Since 18 Aug 2006
273 Posts
Manzo & HR
Obsessed

PostSat Aug 23, 14 8:29 pm     Reply with quote

it turned on at 2:30 rather quickly, I hit the water at 3:30. Guys were on all sizes 6 7 8 9 10 12 13. I was on a 6m rpm for an hour and decided to go in for an 8m and wham, it just stopped, kites were falling, but down at the state park it was still blowing. I headed down there, rigged my 7m and had a late session with about 10 other kiters, it blew until 7:30 !!

user124

Since 02 Aug 2012
390 Posts
Portland
Obsessed

PostSun Aug 24, 14 7:38 pm     Reply with quote

How about manzo tomorrow (Monday)? Anyone going? Forecast looks OK, but I don't go there enough to know.

jeremy

Since 18 Aug 2006
273 Posts
Manzo & HR
Obsessed

PostSun Aug 24, 14 8:12 pm     Reply with quote

Today was crappy in front of the hotels (no wind on the beach type conditions), but down by the state park where it was filled in better, there were 10 kiters doing well on 9 to 11m kites (3pm to 7:30pm). Real late blow today, it took time for the clouds to burn off. By the look of the clouds tonight, I predict better conditions tomorrow.

chrissmack

Since 08 Jun 2005
515 Posts
portland
Addicted

PostMon Aug 25, 14 6:52 am     Reply with quote

user124 wrote:
How about manzo tomorrow (Monday)? Anyone going? Forecast looks OK, but I don't go there enough to know.

looks decent, not perfect

go for it

monday25.jpg 

Occupied Columbia

Since 12 Nov 2011
376 Posts
Columbia City
Obsessed

PostTue Aug 26, 14 2:46 pm    manzo windy tonight? Reply with quote

How's it look for tonight? 6pm til dark? On the trail now have kites in rig. Thx.

juandesooka

Since 21 Jan 2014
98 Posts

PostFri Aug 29, 14 11:29 am     Reply with quote

Hi Manzanita pros: thanks a lot for your advice last week, made our Oregon trip a super fun time ... vs being windless and grumpy in the fog up north. Smile

Next summer, I think we'll aim to stay a few days in Manzanita. A few questions for the pros:

1. in choosing when to go, is there is a noticeable difference between July and Aug for wind? On Vancouver Island, July is clear skies and dependable thermals, whereas Aug gets foggy and iffy. Same there? Or is the Manzanita micro climate pretty dependable in Aug too?

2. got any links to free wind sensors in Manzo area? I see it in ikitesurf, but any weather stations?

3. anyone rented one of the beach houses and have a recommendation? Looks like there's quite a few to choose from, both waterfront and close to it. Any suggestions most appreciated!

Today, I am back up north and hoping to try for a kite in very marginal winds on a grey possibly rainy day....wish I was still in Oregon!

Thanks again,
John/juandesooka

Blazeheliski

Since 30 Mar 2011
655 Posts
Mosier
Addicted

PostFri Aug 29, 14 3:45 pm     Reply with quote

If you are just looking for a wind sensor and not a forecast - just go to this cam. If you see sunshine, whitecaps and kites on the water - wind is good ........... Smile

http://www.oceaninnatmanzanita.com/oregon-coast-webcam/

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: