Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

How do we feel about the Best TS LW

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Redbowen

Since 15 Mar 2014
14 Posts

PostWed Aug 20, 14 6:09 pm    How do we feel about the Best TS LW Reply with quote

This old gear trade in deal from Best has me looking at the TS light wind 15m or 17m. I had my hart set on a Cabrinha Contra, but I have an old naish AR5 that is worth nothing and Best will give $450 credit towards a new kite. Not a bad deal if the kites are good. So what's the thought on the TS LW and I'm 190lbs should I go 15m or 17m? This would be mostly used at Jones Beach and also South Padre.

Jonpnw

Since 22 Jul 2010
1322 Posts
Pacific Northwest
XTreme Poster

PostWed Aug 20, 14 6:51 pm    Best TS Reply with quote

I demoed the 17 meter Best TS this summer and was very impressed for a large kite. Contact Rich Sabo here on NW Kite and see if he still has one available.

Good Luck !

Jon

Join the Columbia Gorge Water Sports Association. http://gorgewindsurfing.org/

Joshiebaby

Since 14 Oct 2007
569 Posts
Vancouver, WA
Addicted

PostWed Aug 20, 14 9:02 pm     Reply with quote

I'm down in Ventura and getting used to having some lighter wind days (although recently it's been awesome). That said, try a surfboard man. Anything larger than a 14M just gets REALLY big. I'm 5'11" 190 lbs myself. Woulda grabbed a 14M Rally if I saw a decent used on on here but ended up going for a 14m older RPM and was super stoked with it.

I was expecting the surfboard thing to be hard (I don't surf at all) but the second time I had it out I had taken the straps off it and was shooting upwind faster than I've ever on a twin tip. I'd suggest just putting the money into a surf board. If the winds are that light they might not be consistent and who wants to try to relaunch a 15-17M kite from the middle of the river?

Good luck and let us know how it goes if you grab a fat lady. Razz

Redbowen

Since 15 Mar 2014
14 Posts

PostSat Aug 23, 14 7:11 am     Reply with quote

Wow what an amazing lack of input on the actual kite.

Inept_Fun

Since 14 Apr 2005
1417 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostSat Aug 23, 14 8:04 am     Reply with quote

yo redbowen, I ride slingshot so obviously I think you should get a turbine, that being said since you asked about the best kite, I have heard that it is actually one of their better kites from all the people I have talked to that ride one. 15m might be the better option for you but definitely just hit up Rich Sabo, he will get you sorted if you have your mind made up on best.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
undertow

Since 15 Feb 2008
371 Posts
BeaversBurg
Obsessed

PostSat Aug 23, 14 1:01 pm     Reply with quote

Love my Fat Lady 3, tested the top end at the Event Site Thursday, gust to 28, lulls to 6. Btw I'm 185 and was on a Mako

safetychek

Since 07 Nov 2006
72 Posts
Hood River

PostSat Aug 23, 14 8:41 pm    Best TS LW 15 and 17 Reply with quote

I teach in Hood River in the summer and Florida in the winter.
I used the 15 and 17 TS all last winter.
Great kites.

Previously I really didn't want to teach on such a big kite since most big kites
are slow, don't relaunch well, etc.

The Best TS LW 15 and 17 rock.
Kite relaunches in very little wind, and it turns like a much smaller, faster kite.
In 10 mph (or a little less) with a big board, and you are going
upwind. I'm not positive what the top end is on the 17, but I know I have had
it in 18+.

With apologies to the Blade owners...I have some friends that had the Fat Lady,
they tried the Best TS LW, and ditched the Fat Lady.

stringy

Since 23 Jun 2006
1724 Posts
vancouver
XTreme Poster

PostSun Aug 24, 14 6:24 am     Reply with quote

this kite is a little more popular up in the seattle area because the winds tend to be lighter in the summer time.
I expect you'll get more response asking on pskite.org.
you can always see a fair share of best kites down in the gorge, but the reality is not many kiters own those sizes due to the conditions don't really warrant it in the gorge.
I have ridden the 15m TS, but it was the first year of production after it replaced the taboo. I'm sure it's different than what you're looking at but anyways it was a good kite that had good top end. I actually rode it back to back with the 1st generation fat lady and they both did well in 12 meter wind. bar pressure was very managable even when totally powered up. turned as expected for a larger kite, but still jumped nice. did not ride this kite in lighter winds so can't tell you how it does, but I got a friend in seattle with one and he uses the 15m as a lightwind kite.

Sabo

Since 13 May 2013
51 Posts
Hood River

PostMon Aug 25, 14 12:37 pm     Reply with quote

Hey! Well I missed this topic - seems appropriate I should chime in. My personal thoughts are obviously 100% biased, but I will say I have flown most of the lightwind kites out there and have received feedback at many demos. The TS LW is a big kite that actually flies like a kite (i.e. it goes upwind, can down loop, and is just fun!). For me, it totally changed what wind speed is fun for me to ride in. Now when it says 10-17 I get stoked!

As far as 17m for 15m - if you are 190 lbs and looking to get the absolute lightest wind performance that our company offers - go with the 17m. If you are more concerned about have sessions when it's averaging 13-15, I say you'd be happier on the 15m as it's a bit more nimble and fun. More freestyle focused, while the 17m is more raw power.

Feel free to message me any questions!

Office: (252) 489-2959 x0248
Mobile: (720) 480-7933
www.bestkiteboarding.com

Ryan

Since 14 Jul 2005
536 Posts
Oregon
Addicted

PostTue Aug 26, 14 7:53 pm    Trade in Reply with quote

I have a 10m and 14m SS Fuel that someone can have for $100 each to use towards the Best trade in.

Windance is advertising a new TS for around $500 with the trade in and 25% off combined!!!

PM me if interested

Ryan

Since 14 Jul 2005
536 Posts
Oregon
Addicted

PostTue Aug 26, 14 7:53 pm    Trade in Reply with quote

I have a 10m and 14m SS Fuel that someone can have for $100 each to use towards the Best trade in.

Windance is advertising a new TS for around $500 with the trade in and 25% off combined!!!

PM me if interested

carolb

Since 04 Nov 2006
590 Posts
Stevenson, WA in the summer, SPI in the winter
Bolstad Clan

PostWed Aug 27, 14 12:50 pm    15 ts Reply with quote

We have 2 of them and would not be without it. Yep iI grab the surfboard too but I am not afraid to grab the 15 either. It has a realitively small leading edge so it very responsive. I rode the 15 ts in botg comp cause I was worried the wind would come down and pulled a kite loop with it. I haven't tried looping a 15 turbine Ss but that's probably a good test for speed on a big kite. And I ride mine a lot in SPI.
Tony and James rode that kite in the blowout and got 1st and 2nd on it. And Tony, Rachel, and I each rode the 15 ts for 6 hrs in kb4c with wind ranging from 15 to 30 so it has good range too. Tony got 2nd place in kb4c on it and Rachael and I came in 1 & 2 in the ladies. Basically, its a good kite and good deal.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: