Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Squirt Kiting the Blowout

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Gman

Since 11 Feb 2006
4907 Posts
Portland
Unstrapped

PostWed Aug 20, 14 4:06 pm    Squirt Kiting the Blowout Reply with quote

Fun day kooking out with the crew - Thanks Bolstad Clan Thumb's Up

Those who never seen a squirt boat - its a whitewater kayak made of fiberglass or kevlar that looks like it was flattened with a steamroller - designed in the mid-eighties to travel underwater with the ability to rotate on all axis - not all its drivers could survive without air on the bottom of a river and it lost some of its popularity...

The last time i busted it out was to surf the Skookumchuck wave - a tidal narrows that forms once a day - that was 2001 about the same time i started kiting - i remember it being a tight fit, my legs fell asleep paddling down to the surf spot and i had to get out and squirm about like a seal till the blood started flowing again - it was labor day weekend and was surprised no one else was there - had the fam hike in and meet me and since i had the place to myself, got to pig out, got one ride on the wave that lasted 37 minutes

thought i would break the 1988 squirt boat out of its hibernation for the Blowout and see if it would work with a kite - not the most efficient of craft it puts out a giant wake - tho the wake is kinda rad - likes a lot of wind

highpoints - launching over three waves at a time and having the spray off the bow fold my both of my eyelids back

lowpoints - the second set of doldrums and a 10 minute balancing act with the boat pointing 45 degrees skyward before i could get the kite relaunched

highpoints- finishing...

some pics

Skookumchuck Wave

Squirt boating is pretty rad
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKH6UZ8hbVc

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eu2pBpQolKE

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2058 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostWed Aug 20, 14 4:18 pm     Reply with quote

G: gotta give some visuals for those who learn that way...

http://www.opb.org/television/programs/ofg/episodes/1506/

kss

Since 24 Apr 2006
613 Posts
pdx
Addicted

PostWed Aug 20, 14 5:12 pm     Reply with quote

Rad!

WindSki

Since 14 Dec 2012
402 Posts
Portland
Obsessed

PostWed Aug 20, 14 8:41 pm     Reply with quote

kick ass

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: