Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

looking to move to the PNW

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
capekiter

Since 16 Aug 2014
19 Posts

PostSat Aug 16, 14 5:52 am    looking to move to the PNW Reply with quote

Hi gang, looking to get the 411 on your area. Lemme give you the backstory first:

I currently live in a small fishing village in New England. It's my idea of the perfect place to live- close to nature, coastal lifestyle, surrounded by water to kite any wind and water conditions. My passion tho is riding waves. Winter's here are rough, but it's worth 1-2 mo brutal cold to have the privilege of living here. So why would I want to leave? A couple months ago the National Seashore banned kiteboarding here for 6 months of the yr, leaving us only the winter, or effectively only about 4 mos of the yr for someone like me who draws the line at kiting in windchills below freezing.

I've been heartbroken & at a loss about what to do since. Have been thinking a lot that I may have to move to keep that lifestyle that I cherish & need to be happy & healthy. Wondering if I could find it in the funky NW. The coast sounds awesome, but the wind looks light. Being a liteweight myself I only need 15mph to have fun. I also like the fact that the cold water keeps the crowds aeay.

Wondering if you could fill me in- what's the wind and temps like year round there? Are most of the wave spots town beaches or National Parks and have you ever had to fight the threat of kite bans? When can I come visit? Wink

Holly

consumer

Since 28 Nov 2010
406 Posts
banned
Obsessed

PostSat Aug 16, 14 5:59 am     Reply with quote

water is cold year round in the ocean, but is warm in the river if you are willing to ride in the gorge.

I would bet that the riding here is better for waves and wind. It's really hard to beat the Pacific.

The coast gets blasted by storms in the winter so if you are into victory at sea riding its amazingly fun. In the summer it gets incredible days too. I think the southern Oregon coast is more consistent for wind and better wave setup too. Pistol river is what I am thinking about specifically.

Windstoked

Since 21 May 2013
43 Posts
Norcal

PostSat Aug 16, 14 7:10 am     Reply with quote

That's sad they shut you down over there. My memory of living in New England was that anyone who was anything had a yacht and paid big bucks to park it at the most exclusive club they could afford (and would accept their ethnic group) so they could hang out there on weekends and occasionally even sail the thing. It probably was killing them looking out from their club at you having too much fun.

bdennis

Since 01 Jun 2007
50 Posts

PostSat Aug 16, 14 8:01 am     Reply with quote

yeah, that sucks about the kite ban. that would not happen here.
I've lived in the gorge for 15 years and there is plenty of kiting may - september, with many days of 5-7m. super nukers in april and october too. The coast is truly unbelievable, and can blow for several days on end in summer, but you gotta be ready to go hit it and drive. Winter coast is, well, an adventure, and usually hit-or-miss, more miss.
HR/gorge is a pretty cool place, I mean the community of people is generally healthy and open minded, I think its a great place to live. Especially if you like the wind.
While its true we don't get ocean breaks on the river, we do get some very sweet 5-10 foot swells on big days which are totally awesome.

CTkiter

Since 27 May 2011
87 Posts

PostSat Aug 16, 14 8:11 am     Reply with quote

Hello Holly,

I just moved here from CT. this past year and it was the best decision I ever made. I have gotten more kiting here in OR. in the last few months than I have in the last few years in CT. and RI. Although I am more of a TT rider than anything else, so take it for what it's worth, there are a lot more accessible spots here than in New England.....and not as many B.S. accessibilty issues as New England (private beach access, piping plover nesting, snooty people claiming that they own more coastal access than they actually do, snooty businesses restricting access through politicking so they can have access all to themselves.....etc. etc. the list goes on and on). Personally I think the wind conditions here are much more consistent and better quality than in New England. New England summer kiting is typically S and SW thermals that are few and far between, I remember getting skunked quite often in New England. Spring and Fall kiting provided heavier winds, but typically it is very gusty Noreasters, and my definition of gusty conditions differs quite a bit than that of the locals here. The kite community in the NW is very open, friendly, helpful, enthusiastic, and tight knit.....kind of like what I remember when I first started kiting in New England a decade ago, but then it kind of became cliquish in New England as time moved on. People in general here are a lot more laid back, open, friendly, non judgmental than your typical local New Englander....much so that its rubbed off quite a bit on me that my own attitude and demeanor has changed in quite a positve way, I think the people here are just genuinely great people. Don't get me wrong Holly, New England definitely has its Gems, and I do miss my friends and family back in New England, but overall I am a much happier person here. I think you should at least come out here during the summer and experience what the NW has to offer, which it sure does have a lot to offer, and then make your decision from there. Sorry to hear that the ban did go through, my wife and I signed the petition against the ban, as did many others I know, sounds like they did things behind closed doors and behind the publics back with no venue to allow a public debate, typical New England elitist politics. Take Care and best of luck!

Cheers,
Bobby

Last edited by CTkiter on Sat Aug 16, 14 8:34 am; edited 1 time in total

Aeolus

Since 20 Apr 2010
354 Posts
Gold Beach, OR
OR-SoCo-Aficionado

PostSat Aug 16, 14 8:30 am     Reply with quote

Brutal that they shut you down. Crying or Very sad
Don't despair...pack up your shizot and get to smackin on the left coast. We have NO shortage of small fishing villages.
Come to think of it, you should come over TODAY because it's ON!

If you like wave kiting and you move to the Oregon coast you will get nothing done in your free time for decades. Speaking for the south coast ou will most likely surf when there is no wind and kite when all the surfers are cranky. You will enter the ocean 365 days a year. Your wetsuits and harness will never dry out. You will go through 5mm booties like Peanut M&Ms.

Now is a good time for a road trip. Ocean is friendly these days. A little bump in swell today. North wind is in. Life is short.

OG

Since 07 Jun 2011
533 Posts

Addicted

PostSat Aug 16, 14 9:09 am     Reply with quote

and another reason........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpVM9aBn9DE

Last edited by OG on Sat Aug 16, 14 11:23 am; edited 1 time in total

ShiverMeTimbers

Since 26 Feb 2013
381 Posts
Gig Harbor
Obsessed

PostSat Aug 16, 14 9:54 am     Reply with quote

Holly, sounds like you're on Cape Cod, amiright? I grew up spending summers in Chatham. You'll love the PNW and the milder winters. People are (in general) happier here than New England. Make the move... you can always move back to New England if you want to.

Between the sharks, the Feds mismanaging the seashore, and WASPy people wearing tacky shorts with lobsters on them, its increasingly difficult to have fun on the Cape. Rolling Eyes

capekiter

Since 16 Aug 2014
19 Posts

PostSat Aug 16, 14 4:14 pm     Reply with quote

Sounds like just what I need. Can't wait to come visit, never been to that part of the country.

CT, Shiver, you guys pretty much nailed it. Bobby the ban isn't in one of the contested areas where people had time to get together a petition. It came out of nowhere with no warning & with no room for negotiations. It spans 6 Cape Cod towns & has shut down the entire Atlantic coastline of CC (40 miles) to kiting Mar-Oct. Even tho the CC National Seashore is the only National Park that includes privately owned land, apparently the superintendant doesn't feel any obligation to accomodate us locals, despite the fact it goes against Park Service policy. What's a wave rider to do? And I thought this was the land of the free...

nealm

Since 19 Jul 2012
41 Posts
North Coast/White Salmon

PostSat Aug 16, 14 8:35 pm     Reply with quote

I was curious so I looked it up, and it looks like we do have a small list (hopefully it stays that way) of beaches that have recreation restrictions because of Shorebird Conservation, including no kites from March 15 - September 15, pretty much the prime coastal kiting season: http://www.oregon.gov/oprd/NATRES/Pages/plover.aspx I think we're pretty safe here for a while though, so few kiters and so many options on the coast Smile.

capekiter

Since 16 Aug 2014
19 Posts

PostSun Aug 17, 14 3:44 am     Reply with quote

Good find Nealm. Looks like some of your prime launches are also National Parks & susceptible to the whims of the Feds. Are most tho town owned? We've found the towns have mostly been open to working with us whenever they've threatened a ban. The restrictions that are in place aren't enforced or you guys don't kite there?

There're only a handful of us here too that ride the ocean, and with 40 mi of deserted, undeveloped coastline 10 months of the yr we never imagined access would be an issue. But the Superintendant claims our kites scare birds & it isn't safe, yet there has not been a single incident here- we know to stay well away from swim areas & bird enclosures & rarely even ride the ocean during the busy months of July and August. Doesn't explain why the whole Atlantic facing shoreline has to be shut down for 6 mos. Even the Canadians who come down here are blown away by us: "what is with you Americans with all your rules and regulations?!" So much for the land of the free, pretty soon the kids won't be able to play football either.

ShiverMeTimbers

Since 26 Feb 2013
381 Posts
Gig Harbor
Obsessed

PostSun Aug 17, 14 6:38 am     Reply with quote

when did the ban start? I saw people kiting off Chatham lighthouse in late June/early July.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: