Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

help with wetsuit selection
Page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
fredf

Since 10 Jan 2009
80 Posts
Eugene. Or

PostWed Jul 30, 14 10:47 am    help with wetsuit selection Reply with quote

Not finding any recent advice on the Forum and not sure about giving commercial advice here I "risk" asking for opinions re: wetsuits suitable for kiting on the Oregon coast. I do not kite in the very coldest conditions so something appropriate for late spring-summer-fall is what I am looking for.
As I see it one of the most important requirements is a material that limits the effects of cooling due to wind on wet rubber. My present old suit protects me well while immersed in the water but very poorly above water, even tho the water temp is lower than the air temp.
Thanks for any tips.

JeffT

Since 07 Jul 2012
238 Posts
Deep Southern Portland
Stoked

PostWed Jul 30, 14 11:05 am     Reply with quote

Interested in this as well.

Gman

Since 11 Feb 2006
4907 Posts
Portland
Unstrapped

PostWed Jul 30, 14 11:08 am     Reply with quote

cheap works great

http://www.dogfunk.com/billabong-foil-403-c-zip-ls-full-wetsuit-mens?ti=UExQIENhdDpXZXRzdWl0czoxOjc6ZGZDYXQxMDA1MDE&skid=BIL00YT-BK-M

hurley 403 fusion another inexpensive option
http://www.hurley.com/fusion-403-full-suit-mens-wetsuit/MFS0000080.html

some folks cant deal with the front zip - takes some Houdini skills at first then you figure it out...

for winter i step up to a Patagonia R4 - some mornings there is ice on the rocket box...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eu2pBpQolKE

Moto

Since 03 Sep 2006
2698 Posts
Still a gojo pimp!
Moto Mouth

PostWed Jul 30, 14 11:27 am     Reply with quote

Promotion wetsuits have kititing specific wetsuits that focus on reducing the evap cooling effect. www.wetsuit.com

I use a 5/4 excel infinity to kite in the winter. Keeps me plenty warm.

What is also important are booties - you loose a lot of heat in your feet. I used to use 3 mils - but switched over to five mils a couple of years ago and have not looked back. My whole body feels warmer if my feet are warmer.

Whichever wetsuit you go with - make sure it fits correctly. If it is too baggy in places then you will get colder.

Dern

Since 11 Jul 2010
544 Posts
Vancouver, WA
Addicted

PostWed Jul 30, 14 12:25 pm     Reply with quote

I second the Promotion wetsuits, the rubber skin stuff really keeps the wind chill down. Works great for those Rooster Nuker sessions in late fall/winter!

macgruber

Since 06 Dec 2011
490 Posts
SE PDX volcano
Obsessed

PostWed Jul 30, 14 12:30 pm     Reply with quote

I have a 5/4 billabong backzip from the Gorge House last year for under $200. I wear booties and a promotion beanie when it's extra cold. I can't stand hoods since they are so restrictive. Never been cold in it at Manzanita.

user124

Since 02 Aug 2012
390 Posts
Portland
Obsessed

PostWed Jul 30, 14 12:34 pm     Reply with quote

I second the Xcel INfinity 5/4. It's some work to put on, but not any more restrictive than my 3/2. With 5mm booties and 3mm gloves I have never been cold.

Also hard to go wrong with Promotion - plus they are based in Hood River.

JeffT

Since 07 Jul 2012
238 Posts
Deep Southern Portland
Stoked

PostWed Jul 30, 14 12:48 pm     Reply with quote

I have found the Promotion suits are very baggy under the arms on me and I don't like the strapped/velcro leg closures they use.

kieran

Since 06 Jul 2011
45 Posts

PostWed Jul 30, 14 2:33 pm     Reply with quote

Real Watersports has killer pricing on Patagucci wetsuits right now. I'd think an R3 would cover your needs pretty well, with the right booties.

AKkiter

Since 31 Aug 2008
181 Posts
Montavilla
Stoked

PostWed Jul 30, 14 4:00 pm     Reply with quote

I have been rockin' the Patagucci R4 for my surfing now for a couple of years and it is beyond warm but perfect for the oregon coast if you are one who "runs cold" while traditional surfing.
For kiting on the coast I have a old 4-3 Ripcurl hoodless that does fine as long as your not in the water dragging alot looking for your board! Really any quality 4-3mm will do you well, like others have said paired with booties and gloves for the cold days.

Justsmile

Since 20 Jul 2009
1523 Posts
Not Portland
XTreme Poster

PostWed Jul 30, 14 4:28 pm     Reply with quote

AKkiter wrote:
I have been rockin' the Patagucci R4 for my surfing now for a couple of years and it is beyond warm but perfect for the oregon coast if you are one who "runs cold" while traditional surfing.
For kiting on the coast I have a old 4-3 Ripcurl hoodless that does fine as long as your not in the water dragging alot looking for your board! Really any quality 4-3mm will do you well, like others have said paired with booties and gloves for the cold days.

there is never good enough pricing for a pataguchi!!!!

Anthony

Since 07 Oct 2008
362 Posts
Salem
Obsessed

CGKA Member

PostWed Jul 30, 14 6:44 pm     Reply with quote

Always suit up for the coldest temps. You never know when the water will turn over and be 50F or a little less. You can always drop in to cool off.

jerp

Since 22 Feb 2013
450 Posts

Obsessed

PostWed Jul 30, 14 7:52 pm     Reply with quote

its a shame to already be thinking of fall/winter kiteboarding but anyhow..... I have a 5/4 O neill and love it. I been wanting to extend my season for while now but don't want to fork out the cash on a dry suit

does anyone have any experience with the Oneill pyrotech 5.5/4 or the Oneil 6/5/4 Heat?

OG

Since 07 Jun 2011
533 Posts

Addicted

PostWed Jul 30, 14 8:06 pm     Reply with quote

ive got the npx zealout 4/3, also been in an assassin 4/3. Both are killer. Plenty warm, very comfy, reinforced for kiting (or so it says). Anyway, last 2 wet suits were a huge pain and I like the npx stuff a lot. I believe that NPX has rebranded to Neil Pryde Surf, but you can still get NPX stuff on the internet.

Ive also heard good things about many of the other suggestions people have made on this thread.

ShiverMeTimbers

Since 26 Feb 2013
381 Posts
Gig Harbor
Obsessed

PostWed Jul 30, 14 10:43 pm     Reply with quote

For the money, I think the O'neill Mutant 5/4 or 4/3 is one of the best deals out there. I use it for surfing and kiting.

But remember, the best suit is the one that fits! Everything else is secondary. Some manufacturers fit stocky builds, other lanky builds. Some run tall, some run short.

jerp

Since 22 Feb 2013
450 Posts

Obsessed

PostThu Jul 31, 14 6:06 am     Reply with quote

[quote="ShiverMeTimbers"]

But remember, the best suit is the one that fits! quote]

agreed.... this is kind of why I want to stick with oneill and get the pyrotech WS

hilton

Since 15 Aug 2008
787 Posts

Opinionated

PostThu Jul 31, 14 6:47 am     Reply with quote

JeffT wrote:
I have found the Promotion suits are very baggy under the arms on me and I don't like the strapped/velcro leg closures they use.

New 2015 ProMotion 5/4/3 Storm Kite available now.
Smoothskin neoprene in the upper body to fight wind chill.
Nylon II in the lower body for durability.
Slimmer cut in the sleeves than the windsurfing suits.
Removable cinch straps with drain holes on the ankles, but no more Velcro closures.

http://stores.wetsuit.com/mens-5-4-3-spark-kite-fullsuit-jet-black-j67/

Last edited by hilton on Fri Sep 05, 14 6:01 am; edited 1 time in total

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: