Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

help with wetsuit selection
Page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Aeolus

Since 20 Apr 2010
354 Posts
Gold Beach, OR
OR-SoCo-Aficionado

PostThu Jul 31, 14 6:52 am     Reply with quote

Worth quoting Shivers one more time cause it's priority number one. Trying the suit on is worth the effort.

ShiverMeTimbers wrote:
But remember, the best suit is the one that fits! Everything else is secondary. Some manufacturers fit stocky builds, other lanky builds. Some run tall, some run short.

Keep in mind the upwelling in summer. Especially in the southern waters. This June we had an exceptionally long gale for about 21 days straight. Tapped into ancient water and brought next-level cold to the surface.

A good solution I find is buying the Exoskin from promotion and layer that over whatever.
http://site.wetsuit.com/New_ExoSkin_Tops.html

OG

Since 07 Jun 2011
534 Posts

Addicted

PostThu Jul 31, 14 7:41 am     Reply with quote

i just saw some wetsuits on sale for good prices on theclymb.com. check'em out

stringy

Since 23 Jun 2006
1726 Posts
vancouver
XTreme Poster

PostThu Jul 31, 14 7:55 am     Reply with quote

well it makes sense to stop by this shop if you're on the coast
josh and cleanline have a huge selection on coastal suits and every other condition.
anyhow I'll second the importance of fitting into a suit before buying one.
been using mostly 4/3 for the north coast.

http://www.cleanlinesurf.com/wetsuits

ShiverMeTimbers

Since 26 Feb 2013
381 Posts
Gig Harbor
Obsessed

PostThu Jul 31, 14 8:20 am     Reply with quote

I've found that O'neill and Patagonia have a similar fit (at least the men's Large Tall). If you can find the Patagonia suits on sale, they're pretty nice and have a great warranty.

scottm

Since 12 Jun 2006
108 Posts

Stoked

PostThu Jul 31, 14 9:05 am     Reply with quote

I spend a lot of time in the waves, and have owned and tried a lot of wetsuits.

By far my favorite and top recommendation for an all-around coast suit is the Rip Curl E-Bomb 4.5mm hoody. If you run cold, the 5.5mm hoody is super toasty on the frigid days.

http://www.oregonsurfshop.com/rip-curl-e-bomb-4-5-3-5-hooded-wetsuit/

Second recommendation would be any super-stretchy surfing suit with a hood. The hood makes a huge difference in warmth, and can be pulled down on the warmish days.

I prefer stretchy suits over rubber-chest/back suits, because the additional stretch, durability, and lower cost outweigh the slight warmth disadvantage.

I was not impressed with my Patagonia R3 hoody, it leaked a lot at the wrists/ankles/hood and was not stretchy.

With a warm enough suit, 3mm booties are sufficient and give better board feel than 5mm or 7mm booties. I love the warmth, board feel, and durability of the Patagonia R3 booties.

blancoh2o

Since 15 Mar 2005
1153 Posts
Oregon
Phishy

PostThu Jul 31, 14 9:05 am     Reply with quote

I own a O'Neil Mutant 5/4. This thing is old but doesnt want to die. It has a hood that zips off and can be repalced with a collar. It takes a few times to learn how to put it on and off but it does get easier with time. I will layer it with a Rip curl 1mm wind shirt for extra warmth from the wind when I am at the coast or on real cold days in the Gorge. I hate being cold and this suit has done it's job for the last 5+ years. I am finally going to replace it soon but will keep it as a back up just in case. I am pretty average build height and width wise so most suits fit me just fine.
There are a lot of good suits on the market....Look for sealed seams, double blind stitched, wind resistant rubber, chafe pads on the knees, stretchy resiliant rubber amongst some of the highlights and you should be good to go.

https://kb4c.rallyup.com/kb4c/286ef9/Member

fredf

Since 10 Jan 2009
80 Posts
Eugene. Or

PostThu Jul 31, 14 11:55 am     Reply with quote

Thanks everbody for the great suggestions.
Now to sort thru the choices.

Kmun

Since 05 Jul 2009
250 Posts

Obsessed

PostFri Aug 01, 14 10:21 am    Wet Suit Evaporative Cooling Reply with quote

Evaporative cooling. This is huge source of heat loss for wind sports. My first purchase & test of a fabric laminated neoprene was shocking. The first windsurfing reach from a beach start on a fifty degree day got one thigh we. I experienced a stupid amount of evaporative cooling from that area of wet fabric covered neoprene. The area of wet textile covering was so cold I had to look down to see if I had not ripped my suit and was exposing bare skin. I ditched that textile exterior suit and returned to an exterior that was “raw sealed neoprene A.K.A. skin/mesh”.

Skin suits are lighter (when wet) because they don’t retain water. They dry much faster as the exterior does not retain water so; simply turn them inside out to dry under Sunlight. UV light should kill smell producing bacteria that otherwise thrive in dark wet conditions.

Compensating for evaporative cooling of a textile exterior requires more R value/thicker neoprene, more air cells (less dense neoprene rubber) or less cold water flushing (better seals or close fit).

New lighter weight, supple, super elastic neoprene is much less tear resistant. It is easy to cut the surface with finger nails & fins. Manufactures are forced to protect the delicate “rubber” with textile.

The raw sealed neoprene called Skin, Mesh etc. are becoming rare due to manufactures and retailers not wanting to deal with warranty returns.

I am happy with this Xcel Surf Hood with bill and double Neck Dam skin exterior. - I believe the thinner 2mm material is warmer than thicker because is more malleable increasing neck mobility, has a raw neoprene exterior (low evaporative cooling), has low cold water intrusion greater elastic fit, raw neoprene face seal & a double neck cuff.

I’ve been wearing high 3mm ankle split toes for years. Ankle wraps work well. O’Neil’s Superfreak w/ Firewall lining insulation has nice loft as well as allows easy (dry) foot entry.

If you are very careful and willing to accept wind warmth trade-off with the occasional skin ding repair; go with skin/mesh from Neil Pryde (NPX/NP) or Promotion. Promotions skins are more tear resistant while Nell Pryde's (NPX/NP) base neoprene seem more elastic but less tear resistant. Ankle straps and neoprene repair adhesive is available at Promotion in Hood River.

Mrlaroo

Since 02 Jan 2007
181 Posts
Bend
Stoked

PostThu Sep 04, 14 8:23 pm     Reply with quote

Do you guys think the Patagonia R4 is overkill for the coast? I was looking at the R3 and did not know if the R4 is to bulky for kiting. Aloha

macgruber

Since 06 Dec 2011
490 Posts
SE PDX volcano
Obsessed

PostThu Sep 04, 14 9:06 pm    Promotion Exoskin Reply with quote

I tried a friend's Exoskin long-sleeved top over my traditional back zip wetsuit and it essentially made it a dry suit. I didn't get wet at all on top and it should block evaporation, though I was wearing an impact vest over it, which also adds some warmth.

gorgeperformance

Since 30 Nov 2010
67 Posts

PostFri Sep 05, 14 12:23 pm     Reply with quote

Fit is key. Go to your local shop and find what fits best and that you are comfortable in getting in and out. Back zip and front zip have there own quirks. If you can't get it on that could be a problem. 5/4 would be best and works for prone surfing as well.
We do have 20% off on 2014 suits and still a great selection.

jerp

Since 22 Feb 2013
450 Posts

Obsessed

PostFri Sep 05, 14 1:05 pm     Reply with quote

gorgeperformance wrote:
Fit is key. Go to your local shop and find what fits best and that you are comfortable in getting in and out. Back zip and front zip have there own quirks. If you can't get it on that could be a problem. 5/4 would be best and works for prone surfing as well.
We do have 20% off on 2014 suits and still a great selection.

sent you guys a PM

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: