Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Launching kites...The thumbs up sign
Page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Jimbo

Since 16 Jul 2009
58 Posts
Seattle

PostMon Jul 21, 14 9:12 am    Launching kites...The thumbs up sign Reply with quote

We are in the middle of an awesome summer of kiting and sadly I've seen and heard of a few accidents that didn't need to happen when folks were launching a kite and the launcher let go of the kite before the kiter was ready.

In the midst of doing routine launch and landings I think it is safe to say that we all can get a little complacent.

I'm sure there are many war stories, but these don't need to happen. Let's all be mindful.

Mitigation:

Kiter: tell your launcher that you will give a CLEAR thumbs up signal off to the side of your body as so not to be confused with just un-tangling your lines.

Launcher: Do NOT let go of the kite until the kiter gives you that very CLEAR thumbs up.

Be safe out there....and most importantly...

Be Stoked!

Last edited by Jimbo on Mon Jul 21, 14 9:46 am; edited 1 time in total

rightguard

Since 22 Oct 2012
29 Posts
Maui

PostMon Jul 21, 14 9:19 am     Reply with quote

On the same note... As a launcher, don't launch just because you saw a thumbs up.

I was launching a guy the other day, he gave thumbs up but I could see his lines were tangled. I dropped the kite and told him. He said no I think they just looked like it... So I walked the lines and proved it too him.

It's not the launchers responsibility to check but what the hell, let's look out for each other.

Jimbo

Since 16 Jul 2009
58 Posts
Seattle

PostMon Jul 21, 14 9:47 am     Reply with quote

Good point Rightguard. 4 eyes on a set of lines are better than 2.

dirtybackside

Since 02 Aug 2011
72 Posts
Hood River

PostMon Jul 21, 14 10:19 am     Reply with quote

Something else to think about.

I was launching someone the other day. Pretty sure he wasn't from around here, but I flipped his kite to the side and he started walking to the side. As he was walking I noticed that he was walking too far upwind and I could tell it was gonna be too hot of a launch. I tried to tell him to walk more downwind so that it wouldn't be too hot and he yelled that he knew what he was doing because his kites are different. As soon as his lines were tight the kite tried to rip out of my hand and cut upwind. I could barely hang on. Clearly too hot of a launch

Wished I wouldn't have launched him

luke

Since 06 Jul 2005
399 Posts

Obsessed

PostMon Jul 21, 14 10:26 am    safety Reply with quote

Excellent post. I know of 4 friends that recently went to the hospital because of bad launches and landings. Please remember to bring kites down slow and gentle on landings. Be safe and have fun!

OG

Since 07 Jun 2011
533 Posts

Addicted

PostMon Jul 21, 14 10:35 am     Reply with quote

dirtybackside wrote:

I was launching someone the other day. Pretty sure he wasn't from around here, but I flipped his kite to the side and he started walking to the side. As he was walking I noticed that he was walking too far upwind and I could tell it was gonna be too hot of a launch. I tried to tell him to walk more downwind so that it wouldn't be too hot and he yelled that he knew what he was doing because his kites are different. As soon as his lines were tight the kite tried to rip out of my hand and cut upwind. I could barely hang on. Clearly too hot of a launch

did something happen to this person? I've noticed that gorge kiters are fundamentally more safety conscious than just about everywhere ive been. Maybe its because there is so much more wind and we are launching dead in it.

OG

Since 07 Jun 2011
533 Posts

Addicted

PostMon Jul 21, 14 10:40 am    Re: safety Reply with quote

luke wrote:
Excellent post. I know of 4 friends that recently went to the hospital because of bad launches and landings. Please remember to bring kites down slow and gentle on landings. Be safe and have fun!

This comment is kind of interesting to me. Kites are designed to just sit on a wingtip at the edge of the window, provided that there is no tension on either of the steering lines. I always see people trying to pilot them down, and then bounce them all around and all of that. So I always think that getting it close to the ground and then letting go of the bar is the way to go, the kite just goes and sits on its wingtip.

Ok, so I always do the get it close and let it park itself method thinking im the smart guy. Did this with a little to much confidence and enthusiasm the week before last and the kite bounced on its wingtip, steering lines slacked, and one wrapped around the bar on the slack bounce, it started to take off, and then some safety system practice took place.

Maybe between these two notes there is something to learn. I feel like I learned something

dirtybackside

Since 02 Aug 2011
72 Posts
Hood River

PostMon Jul 21, 14 11:06 am     Reply with quote

OG wrote:
dirtybackside wrote:

did something happen to this person? I've noticed that gorge kiters are fundamentally more safety conscious than just about everywhere ive been. Maybe its because there is so much more wind and we are launching dead in it.

Nothing happened. I hung on for dear life. Told him after we got the kite up to next time start with it dead and slowly work your way upwind until the kite starts to catch wind instead of just guessing that you are in the correct spot

Gator

Since 15 Sep 2012
41 Posts
Portland

PostMon Jul 21, 14 12:49 pm     Reply with quote

Like everyone else I launch a bunch of kites every day I'm in HR and I also feel that far too many people rudely hot launch out of impatience and bravado. It only takes 10 seconds longer to tighten the lines without power and take 5 or 6 steps until the kite tightens up!

jackZ

Since 13 Apr 2008
355 Posts
Devon Alberta ca.
Obsessed

PostMon Jul 21, 14 3:38 pm    Brain farts Reply with quote

rightguard wrote:
On the same note... As a launcher, don't launch just because you saw a thumbs up.

I was launching a guy the other day, he gave thumbs up but I could see his lines were tangled. I dropped the kite and told him. He said no I think they just looked like it... So I walked the lines and proved it too him.

It's not the launchers responsibility to check but what the hell, let's look out for each other.

I had an instructor tell me it was the launchers responsibility to check at his end as the kiter may not see it as in your case and doing what you did is awesome . This is why it's important to first of all double check your own hook up as you are responsible for that 100% ! Also use an experienced kiter to launch you , as you can be saved a lot of grief for all like rightgaurd did . Smoke the fat one after you hook up lines next time dude , lol
Kite on
JackZ

knotwindy

Since 25 Sep 2011
598 Posts

Addicted

PostMon Jul 21, 14 6:24 pm     Reply with quote

happens a lot.

is it surprising to others, how so many seemingly decent kiters can have so little understanding of how to launch/land?

there should be some kind of lessons or something….. Shocked

DownStream

Since 18 Apr 2007
381 Posts

Obsessed

PostMon Jul 21, 14 7:02 pm     Reply with quote

terrible assisted launching is so common i was inclined to include an article on how not to screw it up in one of my newsletters .... believe me i would way rather be writing about something other than 1st day stuff like that.

its a problem all over the place.

the way to avoid all issues has been mentioned already, rider starts well downwind of the estimated edge to check lines and hook up in a no power area, then moves into the wind to fly the kite out of the assistants hand. its so obvious it just blows the mind to watch so many people shuffling around with kites folding over assistants heads etc etc.

probably worth adding since newish people are probably looking that for your own well being there is no reason to bring a kite up quickly (certain gorge-centric situations being an exception) but generally that is the worst thing you can do. 12oclock is where you send your kite to boost air, not figure out if it "feels alright"

im also gonna mention another weird thing about that launching thing. i have worked with many people and we always go over that, all the time. and not just once, many of these people i have been out with a number of times ever year for a number of years, and they ride great, but a low percentage of them reliably line up a launch the way i always tell them to, which is the way i do and the way we all agree is best. a vast majority can be counted on to walk back at where they think the edge is (and often be too far upwind). so even after hearing it and seeing it a million times many people still just don't do it on their own ... its just one of those things. (or maybe im not really very good at lessons after all ....)

www.ProKiteLessons.com
info@prokitesouthpadre.com

Last edited by DownStream on Mon Jul 21, 14 7:21 pm; edited 1 time in total

DownStream

Since 18 Apr 2007
381 Posts

Obsessed

PostMon Jul 21, 14 7:17 pm    Re: safety Reply with quote

OG wrote:

This comment is kind of interesting to me. Kites are designed to just sit on a wingtip at the edge of the window, provided that there is no tension on either of the steering lines. I always see people trying to pilot them down, and then bounce them all around and all of that.

i got one about this too:

people that appear to be "trying to steer" the kite down either don't understand what 1 handed flying is all about (depower allows kite to "fall")

or

they are tuned really poorly and don't have proper depower relief when the bar is out

(most likely both)

relaxed one handed flying is one of the biggest keys for many people to becoming comfortable with kite flying.

www.ProKiteLessons.com
info@prokitesouthpadre.com

MarkWorth

Since 02 May 2011
149 Posts
Hood River
Stoked

PostTue Jul 22, 14 10:34 am     Reply with quote

three steps
check it out at:http://www.gorgekiteboardschool.com/cgi-shl/13-online.pl?PageNumber=Launching

http://gorgekiteboardschool.com

kiterbiker

Since 12 Jun 2010
65 Posts

PostTue Jul 22, 14 11:55 am    And don't push the kite! Reply with quote

Also for all the kite launchers out there Don't throw or shove the kite as it starts to take flight. Lately, it seems like I have seen a lot of people holding a kite to launch it, and then as they start to let go of the kite, they give it a shove or try to help toss it in the air. This can make the lines go slack/cause the kite to fall from the sky and roll - especially in light wind. If the kite isn't taking off on its own, its not in the right spot, and most likely the kiter flying the kite needs to move, pushing it won't help and will most likely make the situation worse. Hold the kite, when you get the thumbs up just let go, and be ready to catch it if it does start to fall and roll.

bigjohn

Since 13 Mar 2012
663 Posts

Addicted

PostTue Jul 22, 14 1:09 pm    pushing kite in lite wind launch Reply with quote

@kiterbiker regarding light wind throw during launch.

I disagree. Why would a throw cause your lines to go slack? You would have to throw the kite towards the kiter for that to occur. Instead a throw simply starts the kite off in the proper direction to power it through the initial backstall stage.

A throw can be used in conjunction with a "hot launch" in a location with a large windshadow. For example, Roosevelt on lighter days.

Now, I'm not suggesting you should throw a kite for every launch, however there are situations where it is useful.

kiterbiker

Since 12 Jun 2010
65 Posts

PostTue Jul 22, 14 5:42 pm     Reply with quote

Throwing the kite causes the lines to go slack because it pushes the kite further up in the window, where it can't fly, it then drifts back, falling to the ground because as it drifts back, it loses line tension. Hits ground and can start to roll. In stronger wind, you can save it because the wind catches it quicker and loads the lines with the kite in the window getting powered. In light wind, the kite won't be responsive enough and just ends up falling to the ground and starts to roll.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: